Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited Albuquerque this past week and when work was finished I decided to look up local game shops. The only one I found was Active Imagination. If I visit again this summer, I'd like to join in on a session. Is AI the place to go or are there other places I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be one off Coors in west Albuquerque, but I can't remember the name of the store.
If you are around on a Tuesday, you could contact Kevin Whitmore here on the geek about his game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
Just a note about how much I miss Wargames West...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also drop me an email. If nothing else I'd be happy to get together for a little Combat Commander, but I bet we can organize an impromptu game night if you don't find anything else.

While I appreciate Active Imagination hosting boardgaming (they have a Thursday night boardgame meeting, and other various events on other weeknights), I haven't found the event to be very attractive for my tastes.

But there are lots of great local gamers and your taste in games (per your ratings) would jive well with the regulars that I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chester. I'll keep you in mind for my next trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Active Imagination is a direct descendant of Wargames West. If I recall correctly, the lineage is something like this:

The original WW begat WW (distributor) and WWoC (retail). WWoC begat Starbase 10. SB10 begat AI.

I've been shopping at stores in this lineage since I got my D&D Expert Set. I still sometimes refer to AI as WW, and then everybody laughs at me because I am old and my brain is calcifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AI still has a decent selection of OOP wargames. A lot of it is dross, but there are some older gems mixed in. Overall, for a store with somewhat limited shelf space they do a good job of having a broad selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Peterborough
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
chigameguy
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I found this thread and the information in it is mostly current. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in New Mexico over the next few months for my day job. I'd love to meet some local gamers to help me maintain some socialization in the off hours.

Nate
Organizer,
Chicago board games meetup
RPGChicago
Chicago board game designers

Community Marketing Director,
Chicago Toy and Game Fair

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls