Jiri D.
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Who ya gonna call?Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Hi,
because I like this game and I had many questions about rules,
I had to look at consimworld even if I don´t like the structure
of this site. So I collected qustions, where Adam Starkweather was
answering. This can maybe help you before you write your own question.

Q: What happens to the soldiers of a clan when Daimyo 1 out of 3 Daimyo on the map for that clan, defects to the enemy? What happens to Daimyo 2 and Daimyo 3 for that clan? What happens to all of the soldiers?
My hunch is that that Daimyo and only those soldiers personally with him, betray (like Samurai do).

A: Yes.

Q: Leader can commands…?
1. only soldiers of the same clan
2. only soldiers of the same alliance
3. any soldier of the faction.
Which one is corect?

A: 1. A leader commands only soldiers of the same clan.
Q: You mean that Tokugawa can't command Oda troops for example ?
A: Yes, He can only be the battle leader if there are equal to or more Tokugawa clan units in the fight when compared to any other clan in the attacking force.

Q: If Oda attacks the temples at Daisho-Ji or Oyama before turn 15, what happens?
A: The Ikko-Ikki replace the neutral units there before combat and the entire reinforcement alliance that those 2 temples were a part of, is activated. I.E. The Uesugi clan joins the war against Oda right then too.

Q: I assume this means that the effect of leader elimination is entirely prospective and not retrospective, meaning that if a leader is eliminated in mid-turn, you keep his chit in the cup for that turn and do not remove it. You get to play it normally?
A:Unless stated otherwise in the rules, this is correct.

Q: Reinforcements such as Takeda and his men go right on the map and/or the regroup box, correct? They don't all have to go in the regroup box and come onto the map slowly, correct? They call all come in on the map on the turn of reinforcement.
A: Correct - you can place them in any amounts in any friendly alliance controlled space.

Q: When you regroup, you are limited to one unit per controlled space (2 for Kyo). DOES THIS LIMITATION APPLY TO THE PLACEMENT OF REINFORCEMENTS?
A: No - as I have said before.

Q: The rules state that when the Takeda clan is eliminated all of its units are permanently eliminated and that they do not come under the control of the conquereing clan. However, if some Takeda units had previously betrayed, they are an exception to this and they stay on the board.
A: Yes - they are an exception (well, not really, since they aren't Takeda anymore...).

Q: So my question is this - If one of the Takeda units that betrayed is later eliminated in combat, is it now permanently gone or can it be regrouped as if it were any other Oda unit?
A: Treated as an Oda unit in every way - so it goes back to the Oda regroup box for later regroup.

Q: Along the same lines, do all blood-spotted units (units that betrayed another clan) become part of the new clans OOB permanently like all of the other units even if they are subsequently eliminated in combat - and are therefore regroupable (if "regroupable" is a word)?
A: Correct

Q: Put another way, Oda starts with 40 units. During the game he eliminates Takeda, but before doing so he managed to get 3 Takeda units to betray to him. Will his new maximum force pool be 43 (barring other changes) no matter what specific units are eliminated in any particular subsequent combat?

Q: Samurai who have betrayed can never be promoted to Daimyo, as per the card text.

Q: If a promoted Daimyo betrays, does he join the new faction as a Daimyo or a samurai then?
A: He stays a Daimyo

Q: Just curious here. I'm guessing even with a card promoting a Samurai, that one clan cannot have more than one daimyo. In other words, such a card cannot be played to promote what could be a second daimyo to a single clan.
A: Yes you can. Daimyo as defined in game terms here - not in historical terms.

Q: Ikko-Ikki riot soldiers come right onto the map from the counter mix, correct? as opposed to the regroup box? I suppose if there are no counter mix units left, you can use the regroup counters.
A: No - you have to use units from the regroup box. You can't ever make new units in this game. If there aren't enough in the regroup box, you don't get them.

Q: Reinforcements such as Takeda and his men go right on the map and/or the regroup box, correct? They don't all have to go in the regroup box and come onto the map slowly, correct? They call all come in on the map on the turn of reinforcement.
A: Correct - when they arrive, they are all placed on the map in any controlled space.

Q: Given that Oda is prohibited from moving into Azai on turn one, I assume it's possible that you can still negotiate with Azai soldiers in those areas (and if succesful they cannot advance further into Azai territory as well, and if alone in an Azai space they change control to Oda).
A: Sure

Q: Who "controls" a besieged area? Faction A who controlled it before and is now holed up in the castle or Faction B who is besieging?
A: The one who controlled it prior to the siege controls the space. So faction A. Remember, you can trace LOC through such a space if you are faction B.

Q: Nobunaga is besieging a castle containing two units, a samurai and a soldier unit. If he succeeds on the negotiation with a roll of 6 (if my calculations are correct) then it is possible that the samurai and the soldier go into a "field" combat inside the castle when the latter betrays, correct?

Q: Can besieged forces ever receive any regrouping units? If so, is it situational?
A: Never.

Q: I have noticed that the Iga Ninja Units have a betrayal side. How exactly do they betray? as regular soldiers do , during a negotiation?
A: It is an unfortunate miss on my part - they can never betray. Sorry to confuse you.

Q: Question about Mt. Hiei. It says in the rules 15.4 that if you attack the Mt.Hiei castle/temple when you have it under siege you must also roll to see how much sooner the Anti-Oda forces will arrive as a consequence. Do you only do this once? Or do you have to do it EVERY time you initiate an assault on the castle/temple.
A: Roll for neutral advancement every time you siege attack.

Q: Does the Ikko-Ikki +1 apply to initiative die rolls (as a leader's bravery rating would) or does it only apply to the actual die roll in combat?
A: Just to actual die roll in combat.

Q: A Samurai or Daimyo that is besieged (not the besieger) can never be used to induce a betrayal?
A: Nope - you can never use the value if you are besieged. I just looked through the rules and I don't see it mentioned for the specific case of a besieged leader in siege combat - it is mentioned in all other circumstances.

Q: On page 19 in the example of rule 11.5 (the original regroup rules), it says that Oda can only take 4 of 7 available units. I believe that should be 3 of 7, to go from 65 to 68 units. Is that correct?
A: Looks like it should be 3.

Q: Before combat, do you have a chance to rearrange your soldiers under different leaders? Is there a specific phase for this somewhere? I ask this because I was thinking --If you are conducting a siege attack, you may be better off having your soldiers leaderless because samurai give no bonuses at all (you have to roll a 6) and it would prevent samurai from taking soldiers with them if they defect.
A: Nope - you must have soldiers under command if possible. Can't set the leaders to the side or go in leaderless if you don't have to...

Q: At the beginning of turn 2 when the Enryaku Ji monks enter and the temple marker is placed, the space converts to Enryaku-Ji even if there are Oda troops there right? Does the anti-Oda player draw a card for this conversion of control (assuming they don't control Kyo)?
A: Yes, they do. Unless otherwise mentioned, you get a card if your faction controls a new space (and you aren't the faction that controls Kyo).

Q: I think when an Oda solder betray's during negotiation, it is replaced with a bloodstained marker of the clan it betrayed to, and the Oda counter is set aside (ie not put into the regroup box) right?
A: You are correct. Careful to not add to the regroup pool with these guys.

Q: Defender separates into two forces, one in the field, one in the castle. If the field forces lose, can the winner assault the castle that turn?
A: Yes - but doesn't have to. Can just place a besieged marker if they want to...

Q: A losing field force retreats some forces into a castle. Can the winner assault the forces in the castle that same turn?
A: Yes - again, doesn't have to but can if he wants to...can just place a besieged marker if the attacker wishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiri D.
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Microbadge: GrognardMicrobadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Who ya gonna call?Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
some adds
Q: Yoshiaki cannot use his diplomacy in the diplomacy/negotiatian phase unless the Anti-Oda Minors chit was pulled, correct?

Q: In PRE-COMBAT CASES ONLY, Samurai and Daimyo (Leaders) can only use their diplomacy ability to cause betrayals if they are in the same space, both on offense and defense, right? This means right before combat, Yoshiaki, for example, cannot do anything if he is not in that space as well? If he can, is he the only Daimyo on the board who can?
A: LEADERS (which mean samurai AND daimyo) need to be in the very space of combat to use betrayals before combat.

Q: A question on Sea Combat. It says in 13.3.3 that Sea Combat is simultaneous. If so, can i know the purpose of rolling for initiatives in sea combat since it would not matter as both side get to fire every round.
A: You still roll for initiative as in a field combat but only get the Murakami or Iron Ship as initiative die mods.
Q: My question is why roll for initiative if the rules state that sea combat is simultaneous? If i get more than 2 for the initiative for sea combat, do i get to fire while my opponent does not?
A: Correct. It is performed just like field combat. It is simultaneous unlike siege combat is the meaning here...if both get to roll, apply the results after each has rolled.

Q: Yoshiaki can be exiled to Tomo AFTER he becomes an active Daimyo, correct? No matter where he is on the board?
A: Nope - he can only be exiled if still a Samurai. Once be becomes a Daimyo and not neutral, he can only go to Tomo if wounded.
Q: Keeps his Daimyo powers if he is wounded as a Daimyo, survives and flees to Tomo? In other words, he can still convert leaders and soldiers when the anti-oda minors chit is active?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Microbadge: Book readerMicrobadge: Spurs fanMicrobadge: Warfighter fanMicrobadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: COIN fan
Jiri, Good job on the questions. Thanks for compiling those from Consimworld! I'm with you, I don't go to consimworld much!ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiri D.
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
more adds
Q: Is there limit to how many leaders a daimyo or samurai can attempt to convert on their turn like there is for the 1 attempt- 1 leader negotiation limit for soldiers?
A: As long as you have the right cards to play, there is no limit.

Q: Assume the unsupplied markers are for units that are OOC. I did not see a reference to them.
A: Yes

Q: If an originally neutral castle goes back and forth between oda and anti-oda factions, does the anti-oda faction get an event card each time it gets control back (while not controlling Kyo)?
A: Yes

Q: Can you use an Event card on the turn you get them? For example, if I get a card as soon as I take a location can it be used in the next battle?

Q: Card 30: The Emperor Manadates a Truce, is something missing from the card? "The combat is not allowed and the attacked is moved to the nearest friendly space". What is moved?
A: Should be “attacker”

Q: Oda cannot attack any Azai spaces on all of turn 1 or just the first phase of turn 1? If Oda get a second impulse during first turn may he attack Azai spaces?
A: The rule applies throughout the first turn (not the first impulse)...

Q: The example at the end of 8.2 says that all Tokugawa's units are changing side. Is that really possible ? Ieyasu is a promoted Daimyo so only units actually with him betray..
A: Nope - it is an error in the example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: New York 1901 fanMicrobadge: I love all games!Microbadge: Fan of Games Dripping with ThemeMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Also remember Daimyos who betray take soldiers with them exactly as if they were plain Samurai. The Daimyo taking the entire clan over to the betrayal side, is a leftover artifact of the rules and is errata and no longer applicable.

Thanks Jiri!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: Piano playerMicrobadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: iPad enthusiast
Jeseter wrote:
Q: Can you use an Event card on the turn you get them? For example, if I get a card as soon as I take a location can it be used in the next battle?
Just a quick clarification here: You get the card at the end of the Alliance's impulse, not when you take the space. Thus, if (say) Oda has two battles going and does not control Kyo. Oda wins the first battle, but does not yet take a card, and thus can't use it in the second battle.

As a counter-example, say Oda takes two impulses in a given turn. In the first impulse, he wins a space and can take a card. If he has a battle in the second impulse (assuming there is one), he can use the card in that impulse.

The question is answered correctly, but it's important that it says Turn instead of Impulse. You can't use a card in the impulse you get it.

Loving the game. I wish Adam would add these things to the clarifications and errata, though. Apparently there's a new "edition" of the rules due out soon, but with MMP and Adam, sometimes "soon" means "in the next 12 months".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls