Subject: 2-3 player variant - Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rooster Robinson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this from http://innovan.freelinuxhost.com/SoE.html
which is a great FAQ by the way. We've used this 2er and 3er variant many times and it works really well - however we have one major question. The variant is listed below, question is under that.

Struggle of Empires 2-3 player variant

For 2 players draw12 counters each war instead of 10.
For 3 players draw 15 counters each war instead of 10.

Neutral tokens trump players for scoring if still present at the end of a war. In each country that has one or more neutral tokens left in it at war end, the player with the highest influence scores 2nd, the next player 3rd, etc. (Obscure trivia: This means Ottoman and Baltic 3rd place scoring actually used unlike the standard game)

2 player:
You may ally with the other player to fight together in Europe.

3 player:
In wars 2 and 3, the first player and second player by the victory point track are automatically on opposite side alliances. Bid only for who goes first, and which side gets the third player.

For the Alliance auction (3er) in the 2nd and 3rd war - How do you exactly do it? Can you bid a team into the first spot and leave the second spot blank? Or do you have to pit one team against the other in the first auction rd, and then decide who gets the 3rd player. This F's with us every time and it not as easy to understand as one might think. If anyone can offer up some explaination that would be helpful.
~VonRoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
It seems like it would be the same as usual, except your initial options are limited to proposing the following:

(T=Top B=Bottom)

* T:1 B:2 -> T/B:3
* T:2 B:1 -> T/B:3

* T:1 B:3 -> B:2
* T:2 B:3 -> B:1
* T:3 B:1 -> T:2
* T:3 B:2 -> T:1

The top two proposals result in a second round. The bottom four proposals dictate the last placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rooster Robinson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran,
Thanks for your insight. Yes the first 2 are the most obvious solutions and the ones we assumed was the only way to perform the auction. However, we tried breaking down the rule and leaving the 2nd player position or B1 empty. Because using only the above, always meant the 3rd player could never go first.

I think you have solved our issue however. As long as we keep in mind if the last player goes first there is only one round of auction.

Thanks again.
~VONROO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So 3 years on, how do you feel about the 2 and 3 player game?

I love that this can play up to 7, but I far more often find myself playing games with 2.

Would you still consider it worth buying if it was most often going to hit the table for 2 while only occasionally getting played by 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the original link is no longer working, I got permission from the author George McQuary to post the variant here:

Quote:

Struggle of Empires 2-3 player variant

For 2 players draw12 counters each war instead of 10.
For 3 players draw 15 counters each war instead of 10.

Neutral tokens trump players for scoring if still present at the end of a war. In each country that has one or more neutral tokens left in it at war end, the player with the highest influence scores 2nd, the next player 3rd, etc. (Obscure trivia: This means Ottoman and Baltic 3rd place scoring actually used unlike the standard game)

2 player:
You may ally with the other player to fight together in Europe.

3 player:
In wars 2 and 3, the first player and second player by the victory point track are automatically on opposite side alliances. Bid only for who goes first, and which side gets the third player.

Strategy Hint: Players should try to buy these tiles first since they grant extra actions, which you’ll need to keep up with all the neutral tokens coming out.
Diplomatic Service, Mercenaries, Trained Natives, Pressgangs, War Office.

Worthy of note though, when I asked how he felt this variant stood the test of time, he said he stopped playing it because Agricola 2 player "blew it away".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.