Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Good store for wargames in Toronto? Also, anyone up for a daytime game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm heading to Toronto for a week, from June 22nd-28th. I'll be staying in Little Italy, with a bike, so I can get anywhere in the downtown Toronto area easily.

Two questions:

1) Are there any game stores that have a lot of wargames in Toronto? I've found the Hairy Tarantula and 401 online, but neither look like they cater to wargamers very much. (I know they'll all have the same games as they do here in Vancouver, but it's still fun to browse.)

2) I may have some time in the day, (not on weekends) for a game, if anyone is interested. Unfortunately, I don't have a list of games posted here on BGG, but a small ASL scenario would work, or anything else that's playable in 4-5 hours.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For war games, the only store that has a real selection is Game Trek under the Royal York hotel, but the prices are high. If you're just looking to browse, though, it's worth stopping in.

I live and work in the suburbs, so I'm afraid I can't help with a game during the day.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the downtown Hairy Tarantula and 401 games have a small selection of wargames - they're both on yonge street.

Edit: whoops, didn't read the post very carefully - you already noticed those 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drive to Buffalo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, Game Trek has really great inventory, but their pricing assumes that every customer is a wealthy traveler whistle

You won't find anything beyond light and crossover wargames at 401...C&C and stuff like that. Hairy Tarantula is more likely to have a few hex & counter wargames and sometimes even has some used stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been getting my ASL gear lately at the Hairy T. The prices are better than Game Trek, and the ASL selection (at least) is just as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Hungadunga wrote:
Drive to Buffalo!

;)
are you from the greater Niagara region?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfro wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:
Drive to Buffalo!

are you from the greater Niagara region?
Nope. But I worked in Toronto for a little while, and some things were just cheaper and/or more available in Buffalo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
THere are not so many game stores in the buffalo area anymore, basically Jester's Cap in Lancaster and Iron Crown on main in the University Heights district

both would prob have to special order anything

I am getting off thread... time for sleep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, guys.

I guess I'd know already if Toronto had a cheap wargame store - because I'd be ordering from them!

I'll still likely cruise by a couple of those stores and browse anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't L2 based in Toronto?

It might be fun to see if you can visit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Isn't L2 based in Toronto?
I think L2's HQ is Art's home. I don't believe L2 actually has an office.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Art lives in Mississauga. The 'burbs. One day I'm going to track him down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctalbot wrote:
For war games, the only store that has a real selection is Game Trek under the Royal York hotel, but the prices are high...

Chris
And that's an understatement!

I guess if you are looking for something that is out of print like some HASL modules, GRD Europa stuff then they have it but the price is high. I would love to know a good board game store in Toronto as well...though I pretty much buy everything on-line these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls