Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has been to the Hobbytown store in the Lehigh Valley Mall in Whitehall. I've been trying to find a nearby flgs and this looks like it might be the closest one. Based on their website it seems like they have a decent assortment of euro style games, and a quick email to the store was returned promptly. It seems like they have some gaming space in the store and a friendly staff, but I haven't been there to check it out personally.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the store and knows if they have boardgaming events. Would this be a good place for gamers in eastern PA to get together...?

Feel free to send me geekmail or post here.

Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Justin, fancy meeting you here!
I was there once about two or three years ago. This was before I was bit by the BGG bug (pesky wallet eating bugger that it is!). I remember about two large floor to ceiling shelves of what would be considered "euros". I remember as a pre-geek being appalled at the prices at the time (You want what for a game? Why, I can buy Candyland at K-Mark for six bucks! You must be joking) Ahhhh, the innocence. Do you remember the time? Anyway, I would love to check it out this summer. Do you have a link to their site? I think the Allentown area is a great middle ground meeting place between Bucks and Northampton/Southern Monroe counties. About an hour from Philly, and about an hour from Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg (depending on how you drive, of course! ) And now, the self proclaimed King of the Parenthetical Phrase will sign off. (really).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin,

I stop in the store there when I am in ther area.Their store used to be located in west allentown area before it moved to it's current location.They do have a big selection of games.
When I was in last time you have to watch as they have the games split up a little as they had blokus and some other games in one area of the store and then all the euro type games were over by the warhammer section.
They used to have some table space set up where they seemed like they would try to do some gaming at certain times but they mostly seemed to try and push the warhammer miniatures type of gaming.
They do not seem real knowledgable about euro games as I sent my wife there once with a piece of paper that had written on it what she wanted to get.On the paper it said"Settlers of Catan 5-6 player expansion".She showed it to the person working at the store(cause she does not know much about games)and he went over and brought her the game back and said "here you go this looks like what you need".What she came home with was the"Settlers of Catan Cities and Knights 5-6 player expansion".
Now I do not have cities and knights so when i went to return it(which it was unopened still in the shrinkwrap) I was told they do not refund your money.They only do store credit.So I picked up carcassonne instead as they did not have the settlers 5-6 player expansion in stock at that time.Was it a simple mistake by the person working there or was it done on purpose knowing they now had my money and I was not going to get it back.
I also even have asked them about certain games there already and they do not really seem to know much about them other than giving me an answer like "I do not know the games come in tuesday".
They seem to push warhammer stuff more and the RC cars.Stuff that keeps you coming back to buy more stuff.
Most of these experiences were when they were in west allentown but as far as I know it is the same owners and not sure how different the staff is.If you already e-mailed them and got a response back then that is a good start.They would be able to give you an idea about when they have open gaming in the store and kow they work it.

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Geof and Joe,

Thanks for the response...seems like a mixed bag so far. Joe, I hope your bad experience at the store was a temporary thing, but I'll be mindful of your not so great experience when I shop there. Thanks for the heads up... And, you're right, the email from the store's staff did indicate that they have a warhammer group that plays there regularly. Still, they seemed open to hosting boardgaming events so I'm hoping the store has had some turnover in staff, or a new location brought with it a better outlook toward customers than what you experienced.

I'll try and visit the store sometime this week and I'll post my impressions. Normally I wouldn't go to such lenghts to find out about a place, especially given that it's about an hour's drive each way, but we don't have many flgs around here, so I figure it's worth checking out. Thanks again for the comments.

Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls