Popular Tags: [View All]
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I'm off to New York for couple of weeks in July. Can anyone recommend any boardgame shops out there? I tried searching the forums and googling, but all I get is some Nintendo World, Toys-R-us and Wal-Mart stuff. I'm more interested in those specialized shops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kowalczuk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a great store in NYC

The Complete Strategist New York City Location
11 East 33rd Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenue)
New York, NY 10016
212-685-3880
Hours: Monday-Wednesday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday-Saturday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Thursday - 10:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Sunday - Closed

I think their website is http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they have a great selection and they're conveniently located for tourists, since their store is next to the Empire State building.
Enjoy the Big Apple!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New YORK City?!?!

Get a rope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conveniently located for tourists maybe, but that doesn't help much when their hours suck so much. I've tried to get there twice when I was in the city. Once, it was Sunday, and the other time it was 6:10 on a Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a gaming group that meets there on the third Saturday of every month. You can contact them via the "East 33rd St. Chitkickers" folder on Consimworld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Realize the pricing will be AT LEAST MSRP plus the sales tax du jour, which is somewhere around 8.5% now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, their prices are at MSRP. I don't recall them exceeding retail prices on items.

That said, they are definitely not a discount business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just in NYC last weekend and I can tell you one place which I thought may have some real board games was FAO Schwarz (being bought out by ToysRUS by the way!) but they only had roll and move, B&N has a better selection.

They did have a good selection of retro candy though

By the way if you are looking for the gift trinkets (frig magnets, mugs, shot glasses, keychains etc) the best prices seemed to be at http://www.c21stores.com/#/store-locations/?store=manhattan (near the WTC site), even less than the street vendors. And if your girlfriend/wife is looking for a purse/handbag their selection is HUGE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the ASL rulebook and Paratrooper module at FAO Schwartz.

That was in 1991.

Last time I was at the Strategist, about a year ago, there was a sale section that had some pretty good prices on a few things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "Father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonial Viper Ace wrote:

This is a great store in NYC

The Complete Strategist New York City Location
11 East 33rd Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenue)

It's on the North side the street. It's a small store front so you can almost miss it as you walk by.Lots of RPG up front and lots of current games packed in the back. I did find a few hidden older gems on my last visit in March. The staff was somewhat rude, but no more so than any other NYC shop owner.

Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
The staff was somewhat rude, but no more so than any other NYC shop owner.
I've actually never encourted a rude NYC shop owner (or employee). Even the police are friendly (even if their English isn't so good)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "Father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reko wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Much appreciated

You should still check out the TRU in Times Square. It's worth the visit. Have fun in NYC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm sure I will. I just don't hold any huge boardgame expectations for it, but it's still worth the visit by it's own right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reko wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure I will. I just don't hold any huge boardgame expectations for it, but it's still worth the visit by it's own right

Not sure if you have kids, but if you do its worth the visit. Pay the $$ to ride the indoor ferris wheel. They still have a cool T Rex, life size, left over form Jurassic Park. If you are into Star Wars they have a great section of the store devoted to it.

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hahnarama wrote:
Not sure if you have kids, but if you do its worth the visit.
and if you have kids you should definitely spend a whole day at the American Museum of Natural History http://www.amnh.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
and if you have kids you should definitely spend a whole day at the American Museum of Natural History http://www.amnh.org/

Beware of the life size model of the Blue Whale....it's scary, well at least to me it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls