United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WFRP.

I prefer the system as it is simpler and more complete. I like the Gothic, horror-like setting a lot more as well. In WFRP skeletons will frighten your characters and aren't just chunks of XP running around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like WFRP the best. The PCs are doomed, the world is out to get them, and the best they can do is carve out a story of their own as they try (and usually fail) to survive. The system is extremely simple and lends itself to all kinds of social, political, and detective stories which fit the world well.

For pure kobold bashing, 4th edition D&D is a heck of a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmbmbmbmb
WFRP - excellent background and simple rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Given those two choices...WHFRP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WHFRP, gritty and visceral and easy to run system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
For me the difference is marginal, but if I had to pick one I'd go with WFRPS. Having said that, the 2nd Edition of WFRPS is not that great. When the 1st edition was released it really stood out from virtually all of the other fantasy RPGs with its renaissance / early modern inspired background, combined with a dark, gothic horror. The main problem with the game was the rules, which were at best inconsistent.

I had hoped that the 2nd edition would completely redo the rules, while retaining and perhaps focussing even more on the gothic horror of the 1st edition. Unfortunately, it simply tidied up the rules from the 1st edition and changed the focus of the game more to combat and away from the horror element which was the beating heart of the game.

If you haven't already got WFRPS, but decide to buy it, try and get a copy of 'The Enemy Within' campaign also. I can't recommend it highly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pierre avon
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer WRPS because it is Gothic and Dark, yes and simple to play as well. But what i like the most is the character types compared to AD&D character classes. In WRPS, someone can play a rat catcher or jailer or any type of professions. These professions can lead to others as well. That is what makes WRPS really great in my books. It is not the stereotypical Character CLasses like Magic-User, Thief or Cleric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Microbadge: GameChat League - Phoenix Division: "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..."Microbadge: A Study in Emerald fanMicrobadge: Built to Spill fanMicrobadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent
Absolutely, definitely, WFRP (1st edition), no contest. The background is just so wonderful. The world is a developed, consistent one, it feels like it could exist. It can cope with all levels of fantasy game, depending on what the players want. It deals with the details of the setting and its inhabitants' lives really well. The published adventures are some of the best written for any rpg. It's not just the grim, grittiness that makes it great, it's that mixed with just the right dose of humour: a kind of British humour from the '80s that is sadly lacking from the 2nd edition. It just makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
WFRP all the way (1st or 2nd edition, they're both good). I used to like AD&D a lot, and it's fine as a generic fantasy rpg, but WFRP is better in pretty much every respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
Microbadge: I beat video games relentlessly and post my victories on VGG!Microbadge: I'm a GM!Microbadge: What the heck was I doing again?Microbadge: Game EvangelistMicrobadge: I abandon video games without mercy and post their flaws on VGG!
Another WFRP fan here.
I hate AD&D because of what it does to players - it changes their mentality and some younger players who enjoy D&D too much simply don't grasp RPG concepts in other games. They rarely create interesting characters and I know some people who, tainted by the system, always try to create 'the best' character, when there's simply no such thing in real RPG gaming.
That said, I didn't have much contact with the first edition of WFRP, but I do own the second and it's obvious that it's aimed mostly at younger players. It is a bit AD&D-ish in that it is more fight oriented and there are several other symptoms (as for example some of the rewards suggested for defeating enemies and a lot of the new artwork). But, because I know how 'real' Warhammer looks like, I still play it 'the old way'. Way better if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WFRP for all the reasons above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmbmbmbmb
So...this is 11:0 for WFRP? Wow, wouldn't have expected that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deffinatly WHFRP

just dont look too far into the world economics it really dosnet work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: GeekChatterMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: Rainbow
AD&D is a game I'd never play again.

WHFRP is a game I've never wanted to play.

Take your pick as to what that means

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Gee
United States
Detroit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

By first edition, do you mean the 1988 printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
Yuengling12oz wrote:

By first edition, do you mean the 1988 printing?

Yes, that's the one (although I think the very first printing was 1986, but that's just splitting hairs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I have played both extensivly many years ago. We started on D&D then AD&D but once we got WHFRP the AD&D books were never used again. Take what you will from that (i.e. we felt WHFRP was much superior).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHFRP The system lends well to getting out of the way for role-playing, and the dark & gritty (and very deadly) background is a bonus (as stated by many others previously).

I wasn't too happy with the background change in 2nd Ed, and I'm still unsure if the system changes were really necessary, however I am happy that it breathed new life into the system. If you can, pick up a 1st ed book, because that's all you will need. 2nd Ed. requires you to own 2 or more books to cover the same amount of information.

AD&D I never liked leveling systems and the hit point structure, it always distorted reality a little too much for me. Rather than thinking of foes as 'really good with weapons' or 'really tough' we usually thought of it as "oh, he's too high a level or he has too many hit points." On a side note, I've only played 1st and 2nd, and after looking at 3rd I've ignored the system since. From listening to those who still play it, I have no desire to. My uneducated opinion is that it focuses too much on modeling combat now.

Basic D&D This was my first RPG and I'll always have a soft spot for it. If you can find a copy of the D&D Cyclopedia pick it up. Even though it contains what I like least in an RPG system, it can still be fun for a high fantasy romp and there's none of the extra junk that comes with AD&D.

Going a step further, the Interlock/Fuzion system is really nice too for almost any genre. It's fast and lean. Like WHFRP, it's also very deadly if you allow it to be. Castle Falkenstein and Dragonlance Saga also had interesting systems that focus on actions rather than lots of dice rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnston
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rock ClimberMicrobadge: Cross Country Skiing fanMicrobadge: Skiing fanMicrobadge: Hiking fanMicrobadge: Roll20 fan
WFRP, earlier GW/Flame editions or Hogshead reprints... and I second The Enemy Within as awesome, as well as the Death Rock part of the Doomstones campaign. Marienburg and Middenheim city books are outstanding. Only wish that every WFRP game I ran hadn't become a complete mess due to players far too happy to run around with mutations or chaos artefacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Callahan
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had the opportunity to know anyone who played WFRP, so I naturally lean towards AD&D.

Keep in mind also, there were two very distinct playing styles with AD&D back in the day (not sure if WFRP did as well). You had those groups that played with grid or hex mats (preferred method for me) or those that played through every scenario (including combat) verbally. This helps me enjoy 4th edition much more, since playing everything on the table is more natural for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
At the moment I am more looking forward to Rogue Trader then playing WHRP. I'm not sure it uses the same system, but it looks cool!

robot

Yeah, from what I've seen of Rogue Trader it looks like it's going to be ace. If it's anything like the other 40K RPG (Dark Heresy) it'll use the basic WFRP system as a template but with a fair few significant differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how structured a campaign I want. WFRP is an amazing game with a rich fully developed world. AD&D is more open and the gm has some more leeway in creating a world. We play more D&D than we do WFRP, but mostly because our gm prefers to make his own worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Kapuno
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons and Dragons is my choice

1. Biggest RPG Franchise.
2. More people play it than WHFRP.
3. The books and materials are readily available.
4. The company is continually improving the product and adding new content.
5. A plethora of gaming materials compared to WHFRP.

People tend to put D&D down because it is the biggest RPG in the block. D&D got to be big not because it is bad, but because there is something there that attracts a lot of people to play it. There are several settings other than fantasy that you can use the system. I believe the excellence in a system is largely dependent on the GM. You may have a stupendous RPG system but if the GM is sub par, the players will tend to have a bad experience. A good GM can make a mediocre RPG system great in the eyes of the players.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Paul
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty simple. One of the two is my favorite rpg system - which is Warhammer! AD&D was the first rpg I played back in the days, so no bad feelings from my side. Yet, the career system of WFRP is just to good to be true.

Erik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |