Popular Tags: [View All]
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm moving to St. Cloud and am wondering if there are any board gaming groups there and or game stores... or does one need to travel to the Twin Cities for that?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The Twin Cities Boardgame group on meetup.com has events in St Cloud hosted by people that live up there sometimes. Best bet is to come down to the cities. Watch for the next Minneapolis Boardgame marathon (2-day gaming event). Geekmail user binge gamer to get put on the list for the announcement of the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foster
United States
Eagle Bend
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Located right downtown is Paddy's Game Shoppe.

http://www.paddysgameshoppe.com/forum/

The web site appears to be down, the link above goes to the forums. The guy who runs it is very nice, lots of space in the back and best of all, just a couple blocks north of campus (SCSU). The shop will be able to fill you in on gaming life in the area quite well.

The area around there is teeming with life. The usual college bars, but also a great record shop (Electric Fetus), couple of book stores, and others.

Have fun in St. Cloud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
St. John's/St. Ben's or St. Cloud State?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molnar wrote:
St. John's/St. Ben's or St. Cloud State?
St. Cloud State. The spouse will be teaching in the Sociology Dept. I will be looking for work too - possibly adjunct teaching in another Dept. or at U Minnesota. Any other college's and universities in the area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geberus wrote:
Located right downtown is Paddy's Game Shoppe.

http://www.paddysgameshoppe.com/forum/

The web site appears to be down, the link above goes to the forums. The guy who runs it is very nice, lots of space in the back and best of all, just a couple blocks north of campus (SCSU). The shop will be able to fill you in on gaming life in the area quite well.

The area around there is teeming with life. The usual college bars, but also a great record shop (Electric Fetus), couple of book stores, and others.

Have fun in St. Cloud.
Cool. Looks like its about half a mile from where we will be living next year! I foresee trouble...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Vance
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer this store over Paddy's in Saint Cloud.

http://www.playitgames.us/

They have games you can borrow, loads of used games and a really nice owner. It's a gem of a store.

Paddy's does have a lot of space for organized gaming though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the hint. I'll be sure to check it out!
lopsided wrote:
I prefer this store over Paddy's in Saint Cloud.

http://www.playitgames.us/

They have games you can borrow, loads of used games and a really nice owner. It's a gem of a store.

Paddy's does have a lot of space for organized gaming though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimwade Arbigul
msg tools
I'm in St. Cloud and have been meaning to join a gaming group myself. Drop me a line if you find a good group or are interested in starting one. As mentioned Paddy's (downtown) and Play It (waite park, sort of a suburb of St. Cloud) and Granite City Comics (downtown) are the places to buy and play games. Paddy's owner Gino is a really good guy. They have all the CCG's, A & A minis, D & D, Warhammer, & the usual Boardgame Geek fare. Play It specializes in mostly your carcassones and gateways as well as a nice selection of wargames and out of print games. Tom will even sit down and play a game with you if its not too busy & he almost always seems to be playing some sort of chit based WWII game when I go in. Granite City is mostly comics, but thats where I get my HeroClix and HorrorClix usually. What games do you play?

Some of the games I've been playing recently:

Arkham Horror, Descent, Last Night On Earth, Axis & Allies Minis, War At Sea Minis, Call of Cthulhu LCG, X-Files CCG, HeroClix, HorrorClix, Star Wars Minis, Mr. Jack, Tsuro, Carcassonne, Pandemic....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oddfellow wrote:
I'm in St. Cloud and have been meaning to join a gaming group myself. Drop me a line if you find a good group or are interested in starting one.... What games do you play?

Some of the games I've been playing recently:

Arkham Horror, Descent, Last Night On Earth, Axis & Allies Minis, War At Sea Minis, Call of Cthulhu LCG, X-Files CCG, HeroClix, HorrorClix, Star Wars Minis, Mr. Jack, Tsuro, Carcassonne, Pandemic....
You can check out my profile to see what games I prefer and play the most. Generally, I favor heavy to mid-weight Euros like Agricola, Caylus, etc. but also like fantasy themed Ameri-trash and war games such as Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game, War of the Ring (First Edition) and Memoir '44. Some of my favorites are Pandemic, Stone Age, Small World and Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery.

Of the games you mention, I play Carcassonne, Pandemic and I've played and enjoyed Last Night On Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimwade Arbigul
msg tools
A close friend of mine has almost all of the games you list on your profile. Granted, he is a doctor and has lots of disposable income to throw at games. He's exposed me to a wide variety of games, including Puerto Rico, Settlers, and Tikal and many other Euros that I've enjoyed playing over the years. I've recently gotten my fiance into gaming so I've been leaning heavily toward games that will appeal to her such as the cooperative, two-player, and ameritrash games. Anyways, when you arrive in st. cloud look us up if you feel so inclined, if only just to try out some of the games you are interested in via my friend's HUGE game library (It honestly rivals small game store collections). He's on the geek as "Monkeyhead 3000". Anyways, welcome to St. Cloud!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hildy Peterson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hello Professor,
You've probably been in St C for a while now and have tried all the local places but I am still going to throw in my 2 cents. I love Play it. The owner Tom is great! Stop in or call ahead and see if they want to play a game and you can head on over and play. You will have occasional interruptions with customers coming in, but if you can handle that... It is great to have a store that will sit down and play a game w/a customers--- a nice option when your friends and family are not game players and you are!

Welcome to St Cloud.

Hildy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep poking around the Midwest forum here and you'll see that there are plenty of conventions and events that occur in the Twin Cities that make it well worth the hour+ drive. The monthly board game marathons are usually even held in hotels by the Mall Of America, so it wouldn't be difficult to drop the family off there and get your board game fix. Also, CON OF THE NORTH is coming in Feburary, and while it mostly appeals to wargaming, ameritrash, and mini gaming... it's still a great way to connect with the local scene (which to be honest is pretty great). Minneapolis/St Paul HAS to be one of the nerdiest towns in the land, I swear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - I've gone to the Gaming Marathon twice but 1.5 hours is too long of a drive, especially having a 4 month old. Once in a while is fine but I can't do it every month. If it were in Maple Grove instead of Bloomington I could attend more frequently.

My spouse is not the sort to willingly go into the Mall of America...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lloyd
United States
Foley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HildyAnn wrote:
Hello Professor,
You've probably been in St C for a while now and have tried all the local places but I am still going to throw in my 2 cents. I love Play it. The owner Tom is great! Stop in or call ahead and see if they want to play a game and you can head on over and play. You will have occasional interruptions with customers coming in, but if you can handle that... It is great to have a store that will sit down and play a game w/a customers--- a nice option when your friends and family are not game players and you are!

Welcome to St Cloud.

Hildy

Sorry to revive an old post, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what might have happened to Play It? We drove past their location yesterday and the shop is totally cleaned out. Anyone have any input on what may have happened?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saibot wrote:
Sorry to revive an old post, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what might have happened to Play It? We drove past their location yesterday and the shop is totally cleaned out. Anyone have any input on what may have happened?

Thank you!
I was told by the owner of Paddy's that Play It! went out of business. It was a poor location (IMHO) and they had an inventory of some 40,000 games. Seems excessive and maybe not the best business model...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maier
United States
South Haven
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am from St Cloud, moved away and now moved closer to St Cloud than the Mpls metro. I like Paddy's but it is small and not conducive to moderate sized game gatherings. I am intrigued by the all day game fests in Bloomington but, like you, the drive makes it difficult. It seems like there should be enough people in the St Cloud area to maybe rent a room at a hotel for an afternoon/evening and have some open gaming. Are you finding enough game time in St Cloud after a year there? If so, is it mostly at private residences or in public places?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhead3000 wrote:
I am from St Cloud, moved away and now moved closer to St Cloud than the Mpls metro. I like Paddy's but it is small and not conducive to moderate sized game gatherings. I am intrigued by the all day game fests in Bloomington but, like you, the drive makes it difficult. It seems like there should be enough people in the St Cloud area to maybe rent a room at a hotel for an afternoon/evening and have some open gaming. Are you finding enough game time in St Cloud after a year there? If so, is it mostly at private residences or in public places?
I organized a group among SCSU faculty (and a former librarian) and we meet about twice a month now. It's nice to have a group, but some of them are not quite as serious about gaming as I, and at least one seems to be mostly interested in the social interaction and less interested in the game experience. As a result, she has problems understanding and getting into some of the games I put on the table.

Where are you located?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maier
United States
South Haven
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in Annandale, about 25 minutes away. I'm a serious gamer with about 200+ games. Interested in just about anything. A good friend of mine actually posted earlier in this thread, Grimwade Arbigul. He is in St Cloud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lloyd
United States
Foley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*UPDATE* Re: board gamers/gaming in or near St. Cloud, MN?
monkeyhead3000 wrote:

I ran into Tom during my lunch break today. From what he tells me, it sounds like he's fallen victim to some bad luck and bad timing. He was looking to relocate to a different space with lower rent. But due to some bad timing, his new space was leased out to someone else who offered more just after he closed his lease with his existing landlord. So right now he's in search of some space. He gave me his contact information in the event that I hear about any openings. If anyone here has any leads on any retail space in St. Cloud, let me know and I'll pass it along to him (I'm not sure how he feels about having his contact info passed around).

It did not sound to me that he "went out of business". In his words "We haven't died...we're just a coma"

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeebers is da man
United States
Saint Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm still looking for some gamers or a gm. My regular email address is funk0039@yahoo.com

I live in St Cloud MN, downtown.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there particular games or type of games you are most interested in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I moved to "The Cities", I used to game with a really super group. Here's the Facebook link:

http://www.facebook.com/events/107955035987971/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maier
United States
South Haven
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds familiar. I have gotten together with Elfbane above and I know he was looking for a game night recently. I live about 30 minutes south. I find it hard to get away but will have a large game day at my house about twice yearly. Usually about 20-30 people. If you would be interested in an invite some time let me know. Probably not any time soon though.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to organize something but everyone is busy, and I have a small child as well. Tell me a bit more about yourself and your board game interests on here, or shoot me a geek mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |