David K
msg tools
mbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/496637
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/496638
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/496639
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/496633
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/496641

If it's available, I'm liking the idea of an action-poor strategy that opens Mining Village/Shanty Town, (so many ways to score a turn 3 gold) and perhaps involves Coppersmith or Moneylender.

Mining Village is just a great card all around. Village early to midgame, guaranteed cash and deck thin late game. That or early accel to market/gold. I can't figure out what's better...

What Intrigues you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KhyrosFinalCut wrote:
What Intrigues you?

The (real) release date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading Post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Swindler, because I've been trying to figure out how to do the Curse-based cards that don't mention curses for a while now. (Hint: What happens when you Swindle a copper?) I also think Coppersmith+Big Money or Courtyard+Big Money would be interesting low-action decks.

Edit: Also Tribute, for "Greatest Card in the World" jokes, especially if, say, Harem+Nobles get flipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
From my plays:

I've found the Shanty Town to be a universally good card.

The Bridge is another that is almost always a "must buy".

Those are probably my top two, off the cuff. I'll probably write a strategy article of some sort over the next few days now that the images have been posted.

There's some amazing combos in this set.

I recommend that everyone should play with just the expansion first. That should help ease the downtime and AP that WILL be encountered with the new cards. It's quite a fantastic set on it's own any way, and it will be easy for everyone to see why each set is being released as a stand alone.

If anyone has questions, fire away; I can finally speak freely

Edit: It's also noteworthy that several of the new cards act as variations on everyones favorite "broken" card the chapel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Nabbit
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust that you are beautiful.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swindler looks really interesting. And irritating, which is good! "Here, have a chain stopper for your draw-my-entire-deck deck! Now maybe your turns won't take three times as long as the rest of ours!" "Oooh, you know what your chapel deck could use? How about an early pawn? C'mon, you didn't seriously want that chapel on turn three!"

I love the flavor of the card though. Basically, you go out and buy a wishing well, only to find that there's a steward trapped inside who drank up all the water. Or, you travel to your newly bought harem only to find that the women have put in their two weeks notice and decided to take up adventuring. See, this is why you should have bought that over-priced insurance at the harem dealer.

I'm a little sad there aren't any more cost 6 actions that aren't victory cards. I guess early game, gold is always better, and late game, those are always better?

Coppersmith seems really powerful when I first look at it, then useless when I think about it a bit, then interesting when I think about it some more. I want to say it's really nice, but I have no idea what sort of deck could really benefit from it. Envoy decks?

I definitely like Courtyard. I had said to a friend *yesterday* "Envoy grabs the worst of a set of cards. I want a card that grabs the best of a set of cards!" It seems that Donald beat me to it ^^;

Oh, and I find it really interesting that you cannot Upgrade a Curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
What happens when you Swindle a copper?

Especially if you do not have a Moat or Secret Chamber to help protect you

Further, what happens when you Swindle a Province? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

I think my favorite card there is The Baron. Gardens decks are my favorite, and he would be absolutely perfect for that! +1 buy is always handy, but he either gains you an estate or uses an estate you've already got too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Miłuński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
KhyrosFinalCut wrote:
What Intrigues you?

The (real) release date.

Intrigue has arrived today to polish shops. I will have my copy tommorow morning and I can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Nabbit
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
(Hint: What happens when you Swindle a copper?)

See, this is why you shouldn't buy pirate copper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyren wrote:

Remember from the base game that if you can't perform one step of an Action, you just skip that step. By my interpretation, you first trash a card, you pick the Curse, and then you have to Gain a card costing 1, which you can't (barring the Bridge), so you just don't!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see only 24 cards in those images (Harem is listed in one of the sets of 8, as well as the "single" card along with the empty). Do we know what the 25th card is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
nyren wrote:
I'm a little sad there aren't any more cost 6 actions that aren't victory cards. I guess early game, gold is always better, and late game, those are always better?

The Harem always sold out first when played. It's great points. I'll tell you what: I hope other players overlook the Harem while I buy them all (Well at least most of them)

nyren wrote:
Coppersmith seems really powerful when I first look at it, then useless when I think about it a bit, then interesting when I think about it some more. I want to say it's really nice, but I have no idea what sort of deck could really benefit from it. Envoy decks?

Never did find it useful. Perhaps I just didn't have the proper mind set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Flurie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nyren wrote:

If you believe that, I no longer have a Bridge to sell you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Nabbit
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

He trashes the Province he would have drawn, gets another Province into his discard pile, and the game ends one Province sooner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Edit: It's also noteworthy that several of the new cards act as variations on everyones favorite "broken" card the chapel.

I was just thinking that I would infinitely prefer the Steward to the Chapel. Slower but much more versatile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scout-Nobles strikes me as a simple, yet effective combo.

Play the Scout & see what's coming up in your deck (obviously replacing any Treasure & Action cards); then you can play the Nobles to either decide to draw cards to get lots of Treasure to spend or actions. Ideally for the latter, you'd want to be able to draw some of the cards you just put back on top of your deck.

Lots of flexibility & options going on here!

For a single card, I like the look of Tribute; you'd get +4 just for causing an opponent to discard two Coppers in the early game wow !

Matt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
I see only 24 cards in those images (Harem is listed in one of the sets of 8, as well as the "single" card along with the empty). Do we know what the 25th card is?

Looks like a pic of the Secret Chamber is missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
nyren wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

He trashes the Province he would have drawn, gets another Province into his discard pile, and the game ends one Province sooner?

Yes, but the point you might be missing is if this happens multiple times the game can end MUCH sooner. This can limit a Swindler users options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet buttered Christ, I can't wait for my pre-order....I can't even think straight I'm so excited about this now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Nabbit
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
For a single card, I like the look of Tribute; you'd get +4 just for causing an opponent to discard two Coppers in the early game wow !

I think you missed the words "differently named" on the Tribute card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the intriguing thing is that many of these cards won't be feasible in "poker chip" form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Flurie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
I think the intriguing thing is that many of these cards won't be feasible in "poker chip" form.

What makes you say that? I don't see any problems. For "put on top of your deck" functionality, you just stack chips on your draw bag and grab from the stack prior to pulling from the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

Huh? I just read through the cards and didn't notice any that wouldn't work. Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued about how the BSW programmer's gonna feel about some of these new effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.