Popular Tags: USA-centrism [+] [View All]
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence about whether to buy this game or wait for the Commonwealth edition from Days of Wonder (not that I've had much luck getting anything more than 2009 as the release).

So my question to any UK people who own the US edition, just how American is it?

Since all the questions are answered with a number and knowing the correct answer isn't the be all and end all of the game does it impact the game at all? Are there questions that end up being complete guesses since there is no frame of reference for non-Americans?

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Leigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Some questions are fairly American-based. However, there are 6 per card, and if we get a question we don't like, we take the next question on the card instead. It doesn't seem to spoil the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game isn't really set up to be dependent on localization; Indeed, you aren't really betting on the answer so much as betting on the person whose answer you think might be closest (without going over, they are all number based).

In other words, it's just as fun to bet on answers to a question about coca cola consumption in the state of Illinois as it is in Irian Jaya.

Think of it this way, regardless of the question, one of the answers will still be closest without going over, regardless of the affinity the players may or may not have with the content. And you are betting on which one you think will be closest.

And I am pretty sure that the company responsible for it is gathering questions right now for an international version. Something like Gambit 7?

Also, you only use 7 questions per game, so it wouldn't be TERRIBLE to put together a few questions of your own before game night, but you wouldn't be able to participate. Well, you could be the barker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: GCL Beehive--BuzzworthyMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Gamer Family
We find that there's the odd question where the "no frame of reference" thing can be a problem, but often they're guessable anyway, and it's just funny if you're wildly out. To be honest it's just as likely you won't have a clue about the population of the world as the salary of the US President, so the US side of it isn't really an issue most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
The units are of course in our comically medieval units (5280 feet in a mile?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find you can just skip a card if it's too US domestic. Another game i'd recommend having a look at is Fauna, a 'wits and wagers' style game- nice metric measures and animals from all over the world, plus a bit of 'Euro' gaminess to round it off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
willco wrote:
And I am pretty sure that the company responsible for it is gathering questions right now for an international version. Something like Gambit 7?
You can always ask Dominic Crapuchettes (domcrap).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Leigh,

Please see my reply in the DoW forum. The game is coming shortly (end of June).

Eric @ DoW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all responses guys!

(Especially Eric's...I think I'll wait a few weeks!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pregnant - baby on boardMicrobadge: It's a Boy!!Microbadge: Pregnant - baby on boardMicrobadge: Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
cferejohn wrote:
Does anyone else find it ironic that the USA is one of the last bastions of "imperial" units of measurement!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very American. Just not units of measure, but the years of particular inventions occurring, percent of voter turnout, years that books wer published or trials took place. I'd say wait for your own country or continent specific version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if it's any consolation... some folks here in the US wouldn't know the answers to some of these US based questions either

edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
It's very American. Just not units of measure, but the years of particular inventions occurring, percent of voter turnout, years that books wer published or trials took place. I'd say wait for your own country or continent specific version.
There was a thread that mentioned the designers have no plans to do that anytime soon. It's a thing about not having enough projected sales figures or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Babaitsev
Russia
Moscow (Postal Code 115597)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what is the status of Gambit 7? June has passed already and there still is no word. Also when Gambit 7 is finally published should not its entry in BGG database be separate from Wits and Wagers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Kestril wrote:
There was a thread that mentioned the designers have no plans to do that anytime soon. It's a thing about not having enough projected sales figures or something like that.
That explains why I never got an email back from Luke at North Star when I volunteered to write Canadian questions... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Kestril wrote:
That explains why I never got an email back from Luke at North Star when I volunteered to write Canadian questions... cry
hmmm last I heard, that don't sound right. AFAIK, there were 3 new editions coming out... exp pack for W&W (base game), children's/family edition, and Canadian edition. Never followed up, but I was assuming that all 3 are still on. Perhaps the Canadian edition got scrapped last minute?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be, or maybe my email just got lost in the pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Imploded wrote:
Does anyone know what is the status of Gambit 7? June has passed already and there still is no word. Also when Gambit 7 is finally published should not its entry in BGG database be separate from Wits and Wagers?
It's available now:

http://www.daysofwonder.com/gambit7/en/content/overview/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
hmmm last I heard, that don't sound right. AFAIK, there were 3 new editions coming out... exp pack for W&W (base game), children's/family edition, and Canadian edition. Never followed up, but I was assuming that all 3 are still on. Perhaps the Canadian edition got scrapped last minute?
- The W&W Expansion is on schedule. See press release.
- The Family Edition of W&W is slated for release in February 2010.
- The Canadian edition is not in the pipeline anymore.

We keep asking our the owners of Canadian game stores if they think we should publish a Canadian edition of Wits & Wagers and so far everyone has told us "no". I think it's weird, but that has been the advice of everyone we've spoken to so far. I still want to release a Canadian edition at some point, but not when we have other games that our customers are actively asking us for - for instance, the family versions of Wits and Say Anything.

A Canadian edition of W&W is a possibility for February 2011. I know that's a long ways off, but that would be the earliest that we'd be able to put it together at the quality that we demand from ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is weird. Perhaps it's taking a little while for the W&W name to become recognized in Canada, and they don't want to add any product confusion to the mix. Understandable decision on your part, guess I'll have to continue to convert imperial to metric and back again. Thanks for update Dom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just spoke with Luke and he is of the opinion that it does not make economic sense to produce a Canadian edition. Satish was of the same opinion when we last talked about the idea. The reason they think that is because we currently sell very little games to the Canadian market. I'm of the opinion that we would sell a lot more games to Canadian if we produced a Canadian edition.

You should email
Luke Warren
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
and
Satish Pillalamarri
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
about it sometime if you think there is a market for the product. If enough people email them with stories of people who would purchase such an edition, it might change their minds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
Microbadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: TurtleCON Attendee
cferejohn wrote:
Hey, I made out like a bandit in one game just because I knew there were 43,560 square feet in an acre! For some reason, nobody else bet on my answer, even though I was an urban planner at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
Hey, I made out like a bandit in one game just because I knew there were 43,560 square feet in an acre! For some reason, nobody else bet on my answer, even though I was an urban planner at the time.
You could've been bluffing them I suppose. Were you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a shame that DoW decided to publish the game as Gambit7 in the Euro-zone. I've seen it and compared to Wits&Wagers, it looks vastly inferior in quality and design...

I'm still on the edge of getting W&W rather than Gambit7. Can anyone comment on the ammount of questions that require answers in non-metric units? (seeing as I'll have to have a chart or mobile phone handy, which could potentially ruin the fun if there are too many of such questions / could tick me off for having to skip a whole lot of them whistle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls