BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Cincinnati gamers/game stores rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dana Winchell
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I just moved to the area and I would love to know where there are game stores and game groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
Yottaquest is a great store in Mt. Healthy, www.yottaquest.com

There is a boardgame grooup that meets there on a regular basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Winchell
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
thanks I'll check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Seconded on Yottaquest. The boardgame group meets a couple of times a week and are generally very nice to newcomers. I've been shopping there for a couple of years now, but only started gaming there about 9 months ago. Good group of people - introduce yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Yu
United States
cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
briliantlyfreakish wrote:
I just moved to the area and I would love to know where there are game stores and game groups.

There are a few other groups around -- some public such as the group that plays at local Borders Bookstores too.

You could also looking at the board at Boardwalk Hobbies.

Dale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Winchell
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
BillJ1967 wrote:
Seconded on Yottaquest. The boardgame group meets a couple of times a week and are generally very nice to newcomers. I've been shopping there for a couple of years now, but only started gaming there about 9 months ago. Good group of people - introduce yourself!

any day of th week you would suggest showing up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Tuesday and Saturday evenings are good for boardgaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Winchell
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
thanks a bunch! I'll be checking out the store soon, and possibly I will make it to a boardgame night next week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Yottaquest is a great store in Mt. Healthy, www.yottaquest.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardwalk Hobby Shop
Neighborhood: Mt Lookout
1032 Delta Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45208
(513) 871-2110

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Reed
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also live in cincinnati. I would suggest going to Acme Games, but they just went out of business :'(

Yotta doesn't really have a good selection of Gamesworkshop products though, and neither does Boardwalk. It's sad really, Acme was the best 40k place too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Erlanger
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sci-fi City in Northgate Mall has a wall full of GW stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of the guys who worked at Acme are starting a new store further east on Beechmont, in the shopping center where the Sears Hardware store used to be; their plan is open June 5th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just discovered a new game store on the KY side of the river. It is called Newport Games. To my untrained eye it looked like it had quite a bit of GW stuff, a lot of Flames of War, some varied historical plastic miniatures, miniatures rules, board wargames, and Euros. It even squeezed a couple of tables into the space for games.

Give it a look. The owner is a helpful and knowledgeable guy. I'd love there to be a store this side of the river. I love Boardwalk and Yottaquest, but it would be nice if I could save some gas once in a while. Any other Kentucky wargamers out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Reed
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to school in Highland Heights, so I suppose that is somewhat close

Eastside games n' cards has my support now that Acme Games is out of business. They offer 20% off everything and will order you whatever you want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sneezypanda wrote:
I got to school in Highland Heights, so I suppose that is somewhat close

Eastside games n' cards has my support now that Acme Games is out of business. They offer 20% off everything and will order you whatever you want!

Where is Eastside games? And are they open now, or still getting ready to?

Do you go to NKU?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brown
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Do you play Advanced Squad Leader? We have a group in Cincinnati/NKY that meet once a month and a couple of the guys have standing games nights with one another. What all do you play?

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ohky-asl/

I just came back from our monthly meet and someone said there's a new game store opening in Cincinnati that's supposed to be huge. Could that be the place on Beechmont?

Yottaquest is nice but really expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the information--I've joined the yahoo group.

I've never played ASL, though I've always been interested in it. I go way back to the early years of AH and played Panzerblitz and UpFront back in the day. These days I mostly play with my son (12) and play Euros as well as Tide of Iron, Conflict of Heroes, Combat Commander: Europe, and I've been dabbling with miniatures. Do any members of the group play other games? Just how hard is it to learn ASL?

I'll keep my eyes out for your next meeting.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that new game store--its name is Eastside Games N Cards.

Website is here: http://eastsidegamesncards.webs.com/

It's not on Beechmont after all. It's on Main Street in Milford. Take 275 past Beechmont and the EAstgate exit. Take the Route 28 exit, go left off the exit. I'll have to try and find it. It looks like it has a lot of room and lots of tables for gaming. I'll have to check it out. Too bad its that far up 275. It's nearly as far away as Yottaquest from NKY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
There's a guild (Cincinnati Ohio Gamers) and a post in those forums ( http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/513837/flgs-in-greater-cinci... ) with similar information as here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brown
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Here's the store someone was telling me about. Doesn't open until June 5th. This is the one that will be on Beechmont.

http://www.aowcincinnati.com/

Mike if you're interested in ASL look into picking up the starter set.
Here's the most popular forum for ASL

http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?30-Advanced-Squ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Vogel
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
oneoldgamer wrote:
Thanks for the information--I've joined the yahoo group.

I've never played ASL, though I've always been interested in it. I go way back to the early years of AH and played Panzerblitz and UpFront back in the day. These days I mostly play with my son (12) and play Euros as well as Tide of Iron, Conflict of Heroes, Combat Commander: Europe, and I've been dabbling with miniatures. Do any members of the group play other games? Just how hard is it to learn ASL?

I'll keep my eyes out for your next meeting.

Thanks

I also am and old board gamer. I have played the old Avalon Hill and SPI games. I enjoy Combat Commander (all versions) as well as many other GMT games. If you are looking to hook up for some gaming it would be great much shorter than my ride to Columbus to play at CABS.

Good gaming,
john v.
boardgamer1001@yahoo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I just went to yottaquest and what a terrible experience. First off, they used to have a game library, but now they don't. So you can go to the game store, but you can't play any games. They said to come to one of their events, but we couldn't play games there otherwise. It was a stiffling atmosphere. No music. People came in but no one talked. It was worse than a library. We took a break and came back an hour later and it was worse. I've been all over the country and I buy a lot of games. I wont do business there. A terrible dissappointment. And we drove a long way to get there.

I talked to the son of the owner who was smug nad unfriendly.

I had stopped by once last year - and they did have a library. No longer. I stopped by last month, just in and out, and bought a game.

I brought friends with me today to share with them how cool gaming is, and this store and the sone of the owner killed any momentum. They hated it.

I wont go back and I will never recommend. There has been a change, it seems, and the change is bad. I'm out.

There is a store in Newport and the reliable Boardwalk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bettinger
United States
batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a store in the Milford Area called Eastside games N Cards. its pretty nice. Not a lot of stuff but great people and they always give 20% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yottaquest is closing because the owner is going back to college. This is a bittersweet ending for a fine store. Owner Matt Fay was always congenial and up for a chat about the gaming business, and the store had some of the best stock I've seen.

http://yottaquest.com/index.php/16-announcements/81-aletterf...

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/06/29/mount-health...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |