Brian Vogle
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I"m going to be in San Francisco next week. Can anyone recommend a couple of FLGS I can visit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Braun
Germany
Konstanz
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

i can highly recommend:

"Gamescape"
333 Divisadero St

they have a nice range and also some miniatures...

they have a gameing evening every wednesday at the coffeshop at the corner. Right next to it is a cool comic shop...

Enjoy SF

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also highly recommend Gamescape. Good people and a great selection.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you make it over to the East Bay, there are some great stores in Oakland and Berkeley, notably Endgame and Games of Berkeley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dayton
NV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endgame in Oakland is very close to BART and worth the trip. Check out their website (endgameoakland) to see what's happening in the gaming area, so you can best plan your visit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Vogle
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the suggestions.

PatBraun wrote:
they have a gameing evening every wednesday at the coffeshop at the corner. Right next to it is a cool comic shop...

Sold!

shelflife3000 wrote:
If you make it over to the East Bay, there are some great stores in Oakland and Berkeley, notably Endgame and Games of Berkeley.

I'm hoping to catch an A's game, so this gives me something to do over there!

Thanks!

--Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the "F" stand for?

F-------- Local Game Shop/Store?

I see this quite often and am now curiuos enough to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited SF recently as well and Gamescape is pretty amazing from a selection point of view. I didn't think the staff was helpful at all though, in fact very stand-offish even when trying to talk to them. But great to see some games that I had only seen on BGG. Definitely worth the trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Summers
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jocose wrote:
What does the "F" stand for?

F-------- Local Game Shop/Store?

I see this quite often and am now curiuos enough to ask.

Friendly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
I visited SF recently as well and Gamescape is pretty amazing from a selection point of view. I didn't think the staff was helpful at all though, in fact very stand-offish even when trying to talk to them. But great to see some games that I had only seen on BGG. Definitely worth the trip.

I've had nothing but pleasurable experiences with the folks who work at Gamescape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
fatbot wrote:
manymoodys wrote:

I've had nothing but pleasurable experiences with the folks who work at Gamescape.

I agree with the other poster. Not to say that they are mean and unresponsive, just standoffish. You can wander around the store for quite a long time and never get a hello, or a can I help you with anything. They will suggest games, but usually only with a little bit of prodding.

On the other hand, they are responsive to questions, will order something for you and/or call you when something is in stock and have a really great selection of games.

Just don't expect to go in there and be greeted like a long-lost relative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldyn Gryphon
United States
Mesquite
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the guys from Endgame does The Ogre cave podcast. So just based on that show if I am ever in SF thats where I am going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
fatbot wrote:
manymoodys wrote:

I agree with the other poster. Not to say that they are mean and unresponsive, just standoffish. You can wander around the store for quite a long time and never get a hello, or a can I help you with anything. They will suggest games, but usually only with a little bit of prodding.

But... that's what I like about it! None of this leaping all over you as soon as you walk in the door or constantly breathing down your neck. I like to be able to go into a shop and look around without anyone trying to talk to me unless I ask them for something first.

Perhaps the more relevant part is that Gamescape is the only LGS in San Francisco to my knowledge. Yes, there are shops in Oakland and Berkeley, but that requires a trip across the bay, i.e. an hour to get across the bridge plus $4 toll or about $6-8 for BART plus $2 for Muni to get to a BART station.

The biggest fault is that Gamescape doesn't seem to have the sort of community support that many other shops do and don't appear to run quite as many events and RPG campaigns. Gamescape North up in San Rafael seems to do a much better job of this sort of thing, but they might as well be on the moon for as far away as they are.

The other day when I went in though they were playing the theme to the 90s X-Men cartoon on the stereo though before moving on to "Still Alive"... that makes up for a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls