Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Madden
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm in Venice for the next month with my family. I know the historical landscape, but not the Geek landscape. Are there any game stores in Venice? I could use a new fix to play with my family (also here with me). I ran by Lanterna Magica yesterday, but it no longer exists -- or it has transmuted into yet another jewelry/glass store.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Lisboa
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
that's just, like
badge
your opinion, man
mbmbmbmbmb
Lanterna Magica still exists, but it has moved.

It's now in Giudecca - near the church of S.Eufemia, I think, but I'm not sure. You shouldn't have any trouble finding the shop out there.

*sigh* wish I was staying in Venice for a month...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the heads-up. I edited my old message, linked in the "FLGS of the world" ├╝berpost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Madden
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'll head over there and see if I can find it soon. I'll report back either way.

In the meantime, to find a good Scopa deck ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enricodandolo wrote:
In the meantime, to find a good Scopa deck ...
Do you mean, like this?

These are the cards I've grown with. The deck at my parents' home is older than me (that is, very old). On the back, there's the Palazzo Ducale of Venice. You can find these cards in any self-respecting 'tabaccheria' (cigarettes shop) in Venice. Ask for 'un mazzo di carte trevisane'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Madden
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a windy and cool Saturday and we were all lazy, but I convinced my family to get on the vaporetto with me for a trip to Giudecca. Everyone was glad that we did it. We found Lanterna Magica on the fondementa right between the Palanca stop and S. Eufemia. (The address is Giudecca 673.) Like parched desert travelers discovering an oasis, we plunged in looking at everything. They have a lot of toys and other things besides board games -- but they do have board games, which sets them apart from any other place in Venice that I've found.

The best part was that we met Marco Maggi, who was working behind the counter. A real live game designer working a counter! And better yet, he is one of the designers of War of the Ring, one of my very few "10"s. My daughter (who has played many games of the WotR with me) and I had our picture taken with Marco. He showed us several games (like Rattlesnake, which I have to pick up when I get back home). Because we're on the road, though, we needed something small. I picked up a pack of trevisane cards and a copy of Corsari. Marco said that Leo Colovini lives just down the way, and even stuck his head out the window to see if he was there. Maybe next time. I'm definitely going back. I'm supposed to be working in the Archives, but if I oould convince Marco or some of the other designers to play a game of WotR with me, it would be worth playing hooky!

Anyway, if you're in Venice it is worth the time to head out to Giudecca. The ride is beautiful and you get to talk (and maybe play) games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Which vaporetto did you take? Do you remember?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Madden
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
Which vaporetto did you take? Do you remember?
The no. 2 or no. 42 from S. Zaccaria will get you there. Get off at Palanca.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phebe & Jeff
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Laterna Magica has moved again!

The current location is in San Barnaba Square: Campo San Barnaba 2808. It is tucked in between the little bridge and the church. Trip Advisor has an accurate listing for it, at least currently, until it moves again!

The staff is nice, and there is a huge collection of Lord of the Rings game variants upstairs amongst the other games. Don't let the first floor of kid games fool you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watters
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Thanks - somewhat delayed, as it was October when I was there! - for this.

Small shop, very easy to find thanks to its location, which is not something you can say about many places in Venice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls