Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in both games I've played so far I've been extremely close to reaching 20 links. am I allowed to build more after I have 20? I can't find anything in the rules. the tracks are explicitly limited, but player markers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
IIRC Martin has stated that track is not intended to be limited in Steam. Track markers and track tiles are explicitly limited in Age of Steam of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
IIRC Martin has stated that track is not intended to be limited in Steam. Track markers and track tiles are explicitly limited in Age of Steam of course.

I'll look at the rules back home, but IIRC they explicitly say that if a given track tile is not available, you cannot build it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not unsual for a designer to have a different opinion than his publisher.

The rules does state that you cannot build a track that isn't available.

As for the player tokens, the game does not specific limit these, but neither do the rules for Age of Steam, where many players (and the publisher?) prefer to play with a strict limit.

Personally I have always played with more tokens in my own sets - but I have been never been one that slavicly follows rules I don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:

As for the player tokens, the game does not specific limit these, but neither do the rules for Age of Steam, where many players (and the publisher?) prefer to play with a strict limit.

Personally I have always played with more tokens in my own sets - but I have been never been one that slavicly follows rules I don't like.

I've never enforced town token limit or player track markers limit in aos, I always play with length-2-track-cycles by one player forbidden, but I still prefer to know the official rules in case I play with other folks than my local group.

same with links limit in Steam - I am unlikely to enforce it in my games, but when I get to play with other groups who prefers to limit links to 20 per player, I'd like to know who's 'right', and play the official way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bazik123 wrote:
I've never enforced town token limit or player track markers limit in aos, I always play with length-2-track-cycles by one player forbidden, but I still prefer to know the official rules in case I play with other folks than my local group.

Bohrer has stated that track markers and town markers are explicitly limited. Outside of my maps, both limits are rarely a factor in Age of Steam. (The larger number of towns on my maps encourages both limits to be tested)

What do you mean by length-2-track cycles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

What do you mean by length-2-track cycles?

building 2 links so that both connect same 2 cities. perhaps a cycle is too direct a translation from polish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bazik123 wrote:
building 2 links so that both connect same 2 cities. perhaps a cycle is too direct a translation from polish...

Yeah, that'a allowed by Age of Steam, but I've disallowed it for a few of my maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Moots
United States
Riley
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, did we get an "official" ruling on whether or not player markers are intended to be limited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
clearclaw wrote:

Respectfully, I don't believe Steam's designer holds that "track is not intended to be limited in Steam". You may be right - but the evidence, to me, suggests otherwise.

Track-markers are a different story, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Respectfully, I don't believe Steam's designer holds that "track is not intended to be limited in Steam". You may be right - but the evidence, to me, suggests otherwise.

Track-markers are a different story, of course.

To the best of my knowledge nothing is intended to be limited. You should feel free to make proxies with the 1 million extra discs that are supplied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
sisteray wrote:
To the best of my knowledge nothing is intended to be limited.

Thanks, Morgan. But still, I'm going to avoid drawing conclusions about what Martin intended, unless he says it - particularly with track tiles.[/q]

Quote:
You should feel free to make proxies with the 1 million extra discs that are supplied.

For making extra track pieces, bent spoons work better than wooden discs.

edit - minor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Bohrer has stated that track markers and town markers are explicitly limited.

He may well have said that but despite all the sillines of late I still contend that he is not the designer of either game.

As for the number of track tiles I think that the physical size of the counter sheets and the fact we wanted to use whole numbers of sheets had far more impact on the quantity provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
sisteray wrote:
To the best of my knowledge nothing is intended to be limited.

Thanks, Morgan. But still, I'm going to avoid drawing conclusions about what Martin intended, unless he says it - particularly with track tiles.

Quote:
You should feel free to make proxies with the 1 million extra discs that are supplied.

For making extra track pieces, bent spoons work better than wooden discs.

edit - minor

Well, the OP asked about the discs. You can also easily use a disc in something other than a player color on a hex side to indicate that a track crosses it.

Are you running out of specific track on Steam?

Because track building is a bit more expensive than in AoS you will find that despite the fact that noodling will occur, there should more likely be fewer complex tracks used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
Well, the OP asked about the discs. You can also easily use a disc in something other than a player color on a hex side to indicate that a track crosses it.

No argument there - discs are easily substituted. Thanks.

Quote:
Are you running out of specific track on Steam?

There's been a *whole lot* of discussion of this across different threads over time. There's a topic on 'simple track' and 'complex track' manifests in General where we've been discussing this recently. But you're right, it's off topic here.

edit - clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.