Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Chicago FLGS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Chicagoland [+] [View All]
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are planning a trip to Chicago soon. I was just wondering where there are some good game stores in the city.
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
*In* the city, I'm not sure, but if you can make your way out to Mount Prospect (a northwest suburb), Games Plus is *the* place to go. Check out www.games-plus.com for info.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Knoerzer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat and Mouse Game store open last fall and I feel it is great store. Fmaily friendly with a wide range of games for all ages. Check out there web page.

http://www.cat-n-mouse.com/
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Cat and Mouse.

www.cat-n-mouse.com

They are located in the Bucktown neighborhood.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
Avatar
mbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
*In* the city, I'm not sure, but if you can make your way out to Mount Prospect (a northwest suburb), Games Plus is *the* place to go. Check out www.games-plus.com for info.

Seconded - been going there for over 20 years.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't beat Cat-n-Mouse.

www.cat-n-mouse.com
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Johnson
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat-n-Mouse is indeed quite nice. It's well-stocked, and I had very friendly service.

There is a relatively new place on the north side, Dice Dojo:

http://www.chicagolandgames.com/

I stopped in there once, and it was very busy--they have game nights on Wednesdays I think, and possibly frequent RPGs running most other nights. Seemed like a pretty nice place.

And if you're up in that neighborhood, you'll be near Sunshine Cafe (Japanese), Ethiopian Diamond, and Tank Noodle, any of which will make your stomachs very, very happy. We know how to eat in this city.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
tempus42 wrote:
*In* the city, I'm not sure, but if you can make your way out to Mount Prospect (a northwest suburb), Games Plus is *the* place to go. Check out www.games-plus.com for info.

Seconded - been going there for over 20 years.

I don't know if I'd call Games Plus "friendly". I've been there now four times and the employees ignore you and aren't that knowledgeable when it comes to euro games. The store is a mess, their selection of euro's, while great, is just crammed onto shelves with no rhyme or reason. Their obvious specialty is wargames and mini stuff.

So if the OP is looking for euro type board-gaming then I'd say skip Games Plus because Cat-n-Mouse is "the" place to go for that style.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gorst
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
A second vote for Chicagoland Games. They have a huge collection of free-to-play games and a large gaming area in the back of the store, with an energetic community of gamers of all types.

Also on the north side, I'd recommend Black Sun Games, especially if you have an interest in miniatures gaming. http://blacksungameschicago.com/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

In case you want addresses and phone numbers for those that others have recommended here (links to web pages are in other responses, so I won't list those,) -

Cat & Mouse
2212 W. Armitage
Chicago, IL 60647
773.384.4454

Chicagoland Games
1207 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.
Chicago, IL 60660
773.728.3656

Black Sun Games
5426 N. Kedzie
Chicago, IL 60625
773.588.1065

Games Plus
101 W. Prospect
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
847.577.9656
7 
 Thumb up
1.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ashburn
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can make a big second for Games Plus. Great store and great people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And easy to get to. There's some thread elsewhere in Midwest that goes over the FLGS situation in Chicagoland pretty thoroughly, but I'm too lazy to link to it. blush And it predates Dice Dojo.

Anyway, you will be shocked--shocked, I say!--by the quality of Games Plus' selection. No Monk games, though, unless you count Mystery at the Abbey.

EDIT: Okay, so I'm not all that lazy.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Third for Games Plus. Long time FLGS that has knowledgeable staff and hosts a lot of gaming.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Winchell
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
seriously, go to the dice dojo. Chicagoland Games is the best game store I've been to in the area. And I used to work at one. . . The staff is great, and there is always game going on. they have a huge library of games for play in the store, and people are always bringing in their own games. They have open boardgame nights on wednesday and sunday, but really there are always people down for game in there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I was wondering - by chance - it you knew where I could get, in Chicago a game such as EastFront II, a store that would be accessible, as the person who is going to get it, won't have the car.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Peterborough
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
chigameguy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
Hi, I was wondering - by chance - it you knew where I could get, in Chicago a game such as EastFront II, a store that would be accessible, as the person who is going to get it, won't have the car.

Both Cat N Mouse (CTA Blue Line) and Chicagoland Games (CTA Red Line) are very accessible. Games Plus is reachable by taking the Metra rail to Mt. Prospect.


My take on all the stores, and adding one more that isn't mentioned.


Black Sun Games: Good for miniatures wargamers, location is difficult to get to. It could be doing more business if you didn't need a car/bike to get there.

Cat N Mouse: The #1 store in Chicago for family/children's games (I don't think this is remotely disputable), and great Euro selection. The staff is great at giving demonstrations, and their events are well attended.

Chicagoland Games: Really solid selection for a number of different game types (miniatures, RPGs, board games) and a knowledgable and friendly staff. Recently expanded, they're doing some good business up there.

Games Plus: The longest established game store in the Chicago region (I'll accept any corrections if someone has them), with a very loyal customer base. Also the largest game store in the area, with the largest gaming room.

Marbles: The only game store with a games room located in the downtown area. Focuses exclusively on brain games and puzzles. Nice staff, well merchandised. Recently opened a 2nd location in Old Orchard. Their downtown location is roughly Grand and Rush streets.


4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Schmidt

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
www.cat-n-mouse.com
badge
2212 W. Armitage Ave. Chicago, IL 60647 (773) 384-4454
Avatar
Hi Piero,

We do have EastFront in stock, and we'll hold games for customers behind the counter for up to a week if you want to guarantee that it will still be available when you come to the store.

Cat & Mouse is located about 3 blocks from the train station, and directions can be found here: http://www.cat-n-mouse.com/directions.html.

Cheers,

Linda Schmidt
Owner, Cat and Mouse Game Store Inc.

2212 W. Armitage
Chicago, IL 60647
PH: 773-384-4454
http://www.cat-n-mouse.com
8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kelly
msg tools
My vote has got to be Chicagoland Games (Dice Dojo). Their employees are very knowledgeable about almost every RPG, board game and card game they have their. Plus they have a huge selection of board games for people to sit down and play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
catandmouse wrote:
Hi Piero,

We do have EastFront in stock, and we'll hold games for customers behind the counter for up to a week if you want to guarantee that it will still be available when you come to the store.

Cat & Mouse is located about 3 blocks from the train station, and directions can be found here: http://www.cat-n-mouse.com/directions.html.

Cheers,

Linda Schmidt
Owner, Cat and Mouse Game Store Inc.

2212 W. Armitage
Chicago, IL 60647
PH: 773-384-4454
http://www.cat-n-mouse.com
Hi Linda, I thank you for your offer, but the person who is coming to Chicago, is coming the first days of August so I wouldn't want you to keep the game for that long. I'll get my chances if it is still available in that period.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schleicher
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montag66 wrote:
kjamma4 wrote:
tempus42 wrote:
*In* the city, I'm not sure, but if you can make your way out to Mount Prospect (a northwest suburb), Games Plus is *the* place to go. Check out www.games-plus.com for info.

Seconded - been going there for over 20 years.

I don't know if I'd call Games Plus "friendly". I've been there now four times and the employees ignore you and aren't that knowledgeable when it comes to euro games. The store is a mess, their selection of euro's, while great, is just crammed onto shelves with no rhyme or reason. Their obvious specialty is wargames and mini stuff.

So if the OP is looking for euro type board-gaming then I'd say skip Games Plus because Cat-n-Mouse is "the" place to go for that style.

I will just say that I will agree with this user about Games Plus not being friendly. I was there once with a friend of mine from out of town who is also a big gamer and got a fairly negative vibe there. Then again, I couldn't tell which people were customers and which ones were employees, plus some rude political remarks from some loud over-bearing people made the store uncomfortable. I asked a question about Dominion and the staff member wasn't able to ask about it and seemed to want to get around to another person or back to the miniatures painting table.

It is sad because they do have a large selection and it is closer to me than the Chicago stores, but I left with no real desire to come back.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Winchell
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
GrahamGB wrote:
montag66 wrote:
kjamma4 wrote:
tempus42 wrote:
*In* the city, I'm not sure, but if you can make your way out to Mount Prospect (a northwest suburb), Games Plus is *the* place to go. Check out www.games-plus.com for info.

Seconded - been going there for over 20 years.

I don't know if I'd call Games Plus "friendly". I've been there now four times and the employees ignore you and aren't that knowledgeable when it comes to euro games. The store is a mess, their selection of euro's, while great, is just crammed onto shelves with no rhyme or reason. Their obvious specialty is wargames and mini stuff.

So if the OP is looking for euro type board-gaming then I'd say skip Games Plus because Cat-n-Mouse is "the" place to go for that style.

I will just say that I will agree with this user about Games Plus not being friendly. I was there once with a friend of mine from out of town who is also a big gamer and got a fairly negative vibe there. Then again, I couldn't tell which people were customers and which ones were employees, plus some rude political remarks from some loud over-bearing people made the store uncomfortable. I asked a question about Dominion and the staff member wasn't able to ask about it and seemed to want to get around to another person or back to the miniatures painting table.

It is sad because they do have a large selection and it is closer to me than the Chicago stores, but I left with no real desire to come back.

I agree, I would not call games plus friendly. The place is not well arranged and has a horrible feel. It's not easy to find a specific boardgame because they are all haphazardly placed on shelves. I think the place needs a serious re organization and redecoration to make it comfortable to be in. And the staff is okay, but I think they really need to get some people in there who can be social. They are a bit offputting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Euros are organised by PUBLISHER.
and I disagree it's a 'mess'.


montag66 wrote:
kjamma4 wrote:
tempus42 wrote:
*In* the city, I'm not sure, but if you can make your way out to Mount Prospect (a northwest suburb), Games Plus is *the* place to go. Check out www.games-plus.com for info.

Seconded - been going there for over 20 years.

I don't know if I'd call Games Plus "friendly". I've been there now four times and the employees ignore you and aren't that knowledgeable when it comes to euro games. The store is a mess, their selection of euro's, while great, is just crammed onto shelves with no rhyme or reason. Their obvious specialty is wargames and mini stuff.

So if the OP is looking for euro type board-gaming then I'd say skip Games Plus because Cat-n-Mouse is "the" place to go for that style.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
Avatar
mbmbmb
GrahamGB wrote:
I will just say that I will agree with this user about Games Plus not being friendly. I was there once with a friend of mine from out of town who is also a big gamer and got a fairly negative vibe there. Then again, I couldn't tell which people were customers and which ones were employees,

Well, I obviously can't dispute your personal feelings and being as I have been going there for so long, I don't have your perspective anymore.


GrahamGB wrote:
plus some rude political remarks from some loud over-bearing people made the store uncomfortable.

Interesting. I have heard a customer use profanity there and the staff have reprimanded them saying, "This is a family store."


GrahamGB wrote:
I asked a question about Dominion and the staff member wasn't able to ask about it and seemed to want to get around to another person or back to the miniatures painting table.

It is sad because they do have a large selection and it is closer to me than the Chicago stores, but I left with no real desire to come back.

That is unfortunate.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schleicher
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
GrahamGB wrote:
plus some rude political remarks from some loud over-bearing people made the store uncomfortable.

Interesting. I have heard a customer use profanity there and the staff have reprimanded them saying, "This is a family store."

Well, it was a combination political joke and fat joke, but I like to keep politics out. Granted, they weren't employees, but I assumed that if they were painting miniatures there that they were regulars at the store. I did find some irony at someone making a fat joke considering the stereotype of game players, especially considering physique of some of them laughing.

kjamma4 wrote:
GrahamGB wrote:
I asked a question about Dominion and the staff member wasn't able to ask about it and seemed to want to get around to another person or back to the miniatures painting table.

It is sad because they do have a large selection and it is closer to me than the Chicago stores, but I left with no real desire to come back.

That is unfortunate.

I was really hoping that I would like it there and maybe get involved with a gaming group. While I have some friends that are willing to try new games, they wouldn't be interested in a game like Descent or BSG, and my copy of StarCraft largely goes unplayed because it is too complex for them. I had heard so many great things about Games Plus that I was surprised at how I felt after I left the store. If nothing else I would hope that someone from the store would read my comments and maybe take it constructively, because if others have had similar experiences then it is something that maybe needs to be examined. They do seem to have a nice back room for playing games, but I have no idea if they have demo games or let people just bring in a game and play or what the situation is there.

My post wasn't intended to be a slam but an honest explanation of what happened when I went there. Maybe I went on a bad day. I don't know, but I appreciate your feedback. I don't know if you know of any good gaming groups in the area, but if you do I would enjoy hearing about it. I live near Wheaton, and sometimes it seems to be a bit of a no man's land for gaming groups.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique DeJesus
msg tools
Gotta go with Chicagoland Games. I am there all the time. They have a huge selection of board games. More importantly they have a huge game are with literally hundreds of board games available for borrowing. They also have a large and friendly group of people that are playing RPGs and modeling.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |