Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Molnar
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded images for a couple of Hex variants. Each uses a Hex board divided into smaller pieces. First is Quadrant Hex, due to Steven Meyers. I think this was published in Games magazine earlier this century. The board is divided into four quadrants, strangely enough -- each quadrant is a separate game, and the whole board is a game of Hex as well, making five Hex games simultaneously. Whoever wins three of the five subgames wins. We used to call this Mega-Hex.

Second is something I only found this past week, at Richard's pbem server, where it is credited to Patrick Mouchet. This is a mix of Hex and The Game of Y, called yXy. Don't know how to pronounce that.

The board splits into two equilateral triangles on which games of Y are taking place. The cells on the short diagonal are part of both Y games, so I've shaded them a little darker as a reminder. A Hex game spanning the entire board takes place simultaneously. There are three subgames; the goal is to win two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

My nephew bought a Memoire board and somehow made a great hex board that John Nash would have been proud of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

My nephew bought a Memoire board and somehow made a great hex board that John Nash would have been proud of.

I've always thought this photo was pretty cute. Maybe there's some way to use the stackable terrain to make new compound games. If you haven't yet gone through the Connection Games geeklist, you should find it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls