Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Italy

Subject: Visiting Italy for Month: Any Advice on Stores, Game Groups, Lodging? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

As part of an extended tour of Europe and then South Africa, my brother and I are finishing up our trip In Italy. My brother has been in the Peace Corps in Lesotho (South Africa) for the past two years, and this will be the first time that I have seen him for that time period. I cannot wait for the trip to start! He is not as big of a gamer as I am, but I suspect we could rope him into something. Below is the rough Itinierary.

December 20th-December 27th: Rome (and Pompeii).
28th-30th: Naples
31st-January 1st/2nd: Siena

January 2nd-5th: Florence
6th-9th: Genoa
10th-15th: Venice
16th-18th: Turin
19th-20th: Pedova
21st-24th: Verona
25th-27th: Milan

I wondered if anyone had any advice on lodging, game stores, game groups, travel advice, sights to see, etc. Or is anyone interested in meeting up for a game and a meal? (Or willing to show some tourists around?).

The listed dates are very rough and subject to change, but they do represent an idea of where we hope to be.

Thanks,
Brad Keen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a lot of fun in Venice, but it is expensive.

All the museums we fun. I took the 'behind the scenes' (don't remember what it was called) tour of the Doge Palace and it was interesting. I don't remember it costing much.

On the Island of La Giudecca there is a game and toy shop. It is right on the water. It doesn't have many games and as with most of that area isn't 'cheap'. But, it is owned and run by Francesco Nepitello and Marco Maggi. I had a long talk with Marco Maggi. He was a very nice man and I enjoyed the discussion. I did buy a few of his games.

You might also check this site for lodging:
http://www.venere.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stores: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F Maffei
United Kingdom
London
Albion
flag msg tools
For Rome I would strongly recommend the second Strategia e Tattica shop.

The website is:

www.strategia2.it

The full details are:

Strategia & Tattica 2
Via Massaciuccoli 78,
00199 Roma
Tel e Fax 06-86398756

The staff are knowledgeable and helpful. There are usually events/games being played, and if not it's likely that the staff or other patrons will gladly play a game if asked.

Well worth a visit.

Franbo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your advice up to this point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Florence you can go to:
Stratagemma (which is very near to the Duomo) Via dei Servi, 15(red), 50122. Telephone: 055 215 912.

It has a good collection of boardgames and wargames. A lot of rpgs but only some miniatures.

Other game stores are far away from the centre and are mostly miniature shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
In Florence you can go to:
Stratagemma (which is very near to the Duomo) Via dei Servi, 15(red), 50122. Telephone: 055 215 912.

It has a good collection of boardgames and wargames. A lot of rpgs but only some miniatures.

Other game stores are far away from the centre and are mostly miniature shops.
You didn't list Florence. But, Stratagemma had a ton of board games including some in a discounted area. I picked up and copy of Capitol there.

When I was there, there were also about half a dozen miniture gamers sitting around chatting and painting in the back on some gaming tables. Looked like a really good and fun store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think he has listed Florence all right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
Quote:
I think he has listed Florence all right.
modest I looked twice for Florence because I wanted to recommend Stratagemma. Guess I need better glasses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's there. We have a month to tour Italy, so I tried to get most of the major cities in. The game store sounds great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can say that Stratagemma has seen me grow up as a boy.
Today I still pass often - as it is in such a strategic position and Florence is so small.

Every Thursday night it is open from 9 pm to midnight.
They gather to play boardgames and Go (there is the local Go Club which stations there every week). Usually they play Dominion (they usually give away a "Black Market" card in Italian for whoever wins the games), but I have also seen, more rarely, games of Kingsburg, Tannhäuser, or Wings of War: Watch Your Back!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls