David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres the idea:

Seperate all the cards you own into piles of 4, 3, 2, 1, and 0 moons, and a mutant pile.

Make 12 'booster' piles of seven cards: one 4, one 3, two 2s, three 1s, and one random card(could be any number of moons).

Draft with these rules:

Alternate starting boosters.

Each person takes 3 from each booster: this means the last player will have a choice of two cards, and the first player will not know for sure which was picked.

Any extra cards are a sideboard.

After the first match, players may sub in any number of sideboard cards.

All standard deckbuilding rules apply except the limit on moons.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you just put all the peoples together into the draft? Weird. I think the whole flavor of the game comes from playing a deck that had a particular personality.

To jumble them together would be odd. Also, if you got say one Khind character, but no chance of forming a gang, then there would be no point to that card.

[edit] I don't mean to stomp on your idea - if you test this draft out and write it up I'll be interested to read your session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
photocurio wrote:
Do you just put all the peoples together into the draft? Weird. I think the whole flavor of the game comes from playing a deck that had a particular personality.

To jumble them together would be odd. Also, if you got say one Khind character, but no chance of forming a gang, then there would be no point to that card.

[edit] I don't mean to stomp on your idea - if you test this draft out and write it up I'll be interested to read your session report.

Ive tested it a bit solo - probably will get some actual tries soon - but i think the best way to mitigate that is to only use 3 decks as your pool. That will be 90 cards, and it still might be difficult to get gangs together, it definately wont be impossible.

If you pull a gang as your first pick before the other player gets to look at the set, it is unlikely he would hate draft other members of the gang later because he wont know you already have a member.

While yes, this would be quite different than playing with an already synergistic deck, i have always been a sucker for drafting - i love the strategy of drafting itself, and a drafted deck always feels more 'yours' than a precon.

I will definately post results once i test this with my girlfriend. We are probably going to try it with Vulca, Hoax, and Terrah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not how I would use drafting.

If were going to use drafting, it would be to compensate for not having a complete double set of all decks - or possibly not even a complete set of decks. I'd start by each person picking a people (that is how the game is designed, and as you've effectively pointed out, really messed up in some cases by not doing that) and giving them all the cards of that people you have. Then put all the other cards you have in a pool and draft from it. There's no point drafting indefinitely. You could stop when both players have drafted 10 moons and all the worthwhile zero moon cards (e.g. mutants) have gone. You might choose to draft a bit longer to allow you to each have some options - and you certainly should lt a player draft after ten moons if it has denial possibilities. The longer you draft the more uncertainty you leave, but the more time you take.

Essentially rather than, say, dividing up the cards you have e.g. by people, it allows people to get closer to what they'd do if they had a free choice over all the cards you do have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls