Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm heading to the great northwoods of Wisconsin tomorrow. In addition to taking in the local flora and fauna, I thought I'd try to hit some local game shops.

Does anyone know of any in the Eagle River / Rheinlander / Minoqua area?

Thanks!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the FLGS of the US list:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Here's the FLGS of the US list:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/294366

I should have mentioned that I did check the list prior to posting (Thanks, though!). These game shops are mostly in the Milwaukee / Madison area. I'm looking for a shop that might be a few hundred miles north.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly confident that the area isn't big enough to keep a store going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in Phelps which is close to Eagle River so I know about the dilemma of finding game stores in the area. We used to play Magic: The Gathering at a card shop in Rhinelander but that closed up years ago.

It looks like the closest potential game store is "Dork Fathers" (http://www.dorkfathers.com/) in Merrill. It seems to be mostly card games but they do mention board games in the forum. And depending on where you are coming from it might be on your way. Like if you are coming from the south on 51 to Minoqua.

Hope you enjoy the area, I hear the weather is great there right now! I really miss the summers in the Northwoods.

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kreps
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only place I've found is Whoops & Company in Minocqua. It's more of a toy store with a definite leaning for educational type stuff. But they do have a lot of card games and a very limited selection of board games. In fact, Settlers and its expansions are really the only eurogames I know for sure they carry. I can still easily spend an hour browsing there.

--A2K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevens
United States
Oshkosh
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atlantix2000 wrote:
The only place I've found is Whoops & Company in Minocqua. It's more of a toy store with a definite leaning for educational type stuff. But they do have a lot of card games and a very limited selection of board games. In fact, Settlers and its expansions are really the only eurogames I know for sure they carry. I can still easily spend an hour browsing there.

--A2K

I managed to stop in at Whoops & Co in Minocqua after an excellent hike on the nearby trail. They did have some lighter games and puzzle games, but it was clearly for the non-gamer vacationer. My 5 year old didn't want to leave as the Thomas the Train setup was pretty sweet.

Thanks to everyone who replied here. I guess if I win the lottery I'll open a game store in the North Woods of Wisconsin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I would have seen this post earlier as my sister lives out that way. They do have a place called "LAN NOOK" in Ironwood, which features a small selection of BGs and Magic, but that's about as good as it gets. Duluth MN has a couple of decent places though (100+ miles East), as does Appleton (about the same distance south).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KJ
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is way late but there is a place in Stevens Point called Galaxy Comics, Games, and more.

http://galaxycomicsandgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls