Subject: Number of turns and theme variations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I have a Game RoomMicrobadge: LisboaCON 2009 participantMicrobadge: Grupo de Boardgamers de Lisboa memberMicrobadge: abreojogo.com fanMicrobadge: Golden Image Uploader
After 8 plays of this great game i'll write here some of the variants i've already used with success:

» Equal number of Storyteller turns
Usually when the deck runs out some players have played as Storytellers 1 more time than others (it doesn't come to a full circle). So shuffle the discards to a new deck and we keep playing until everybody has taken the same number of turns as the Storyteller (so the game is even and everybody had the same opportunities to be the Storyteller - who doesn't like to be it?)

» Theme for card clues
Before the beginning of the game we agree on a theme that the Storytellers must follow to give the clues. This makes the game always refreshing and new, exploring new words and ideas that always makes us laugh! Some themes that i've already used or suggest:
- Movies
- Television
- Comercial brands
- Geography (countries, cities, locations, etc)
- Music (songs, bands, artists)

Can you think of other themes? Suggest them here so we can make a list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

MainStream:
- Litterature
- Sports
- Games
- Animals
- Famous Characters

Fancy:
- Meals
- Verse (Poetry)
- An object in this very room
- A player around the table
- Questions ?

Advanced:
- Famous quote
- Number !
- Non existing words

Adult:
- Slang
- Sexuality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tales From the Loop RPG fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Golden GeeklisterMicrobadge: Copper Image Uploader
Sound effects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: True NeutralMicrobadge: My S.O. hates gamesMicrobadge: Raising GamersMicrobadge: This is so exciting! I've never been so excited! Well, except for that time when I went "Oh my gosh, I'm a microbadge!", but I mean, really, who can top that?!
This is a GREAT idea. Aside from spicing up the game, I think this can really help the people that have AP when it comes to coming up with something to say.

I've taken the liberty of compiling what everyone else has mentioned thus far, added some ideas of my own, and organized it in categories that made sense to me. Once I've got a really stellar list going (maybe two or three times as long as what we have here), I'll add it to the Dixit Files:

Mainstream:
- Animals
- Food
- Professions / Hobbies
- Household items
- Things that fit in your hand

Arts & Entertainment:
- Movies
- Television (serials, soaps, cartoon shows, etc.)
- Literature
- Fictional characters
- Actors
- Music (songs, bands, artists)
- Sports

The World:
- Commercial / Consumer brands (e.g. McDonald’s, Adidas, Chevrolet, George Forman Grill, etc.)
- Geography (countries, cities, locations, etc.)
- Celebrities, Historical Figures, and Famous Persons
- History, Politics, and Religion

The Spoken Word:
- Verse (lines of poetry)
- Famous quotes
- Aphorisms, Adages, and Maxims
- Questions
- Scripture/Bible verse

Abstract:
- Numbers
- Non-existing words
- Sound effects
- A player around the table
- Super powers
- Tunes (hum, whistle, or sing)
- A noun that does not appear on the card
- Ideas, Emotions, and Intangible Concepts
- An Event (historical, mundane, etc.)

Adult:
- Slang
- Sexuality

Story Teller:
- Magic Lamp -- “I wish that ..."
- Mad Libs -- “I’m so [adjective or condition], I could [verb]." (e.g., sad/cry; hungry/eat a horse)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: True NeutralMicrobadge: My S.O. hates gamesMicrobadge: Raising GamersMicrobadge: This is so exciting! I've never been so excited! Well, except for that time when I went "Oh my gosh, I'm a microbadge!", but I mean, really, who can top that?!
Just an FYI: you'll notice that some of the things in the Mainstream category could go in the Abstract category (and vice versa). Those two are sort of hard to differentiate since this game is ALL ABOUT abstractions...but I nevertheless tried to sort them in a way that made sense to me (though the logic may not make sense to others).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls