Subject: Mythgardia session/review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game that got me into "modern" boardgaming was Talisman 3rd Edition. I'd heard about its re-release from friends, and finally picked it up, without really knowing what to expect.

And yes, there are better games than Talisman out there, but it's still a fun, random, no-holds-barred player-vs-player romp that is ever so slightly too long.

And that's exactly what Mythgardia is, too.

The rules are easy, and I've detailed most of them in a previous post, so how does it play?

We went through the rules fairly quickly, set the game up (but forgot to shuffle the encounter cards, which would instantly come back to bite us) and went at it.

Each time a treasure is available for the taking, each player gets a location card. Going to that location allows the respective player to see where the treasure is (although there's at least one Fate card that allows someone else to kibitz). So one of our 3 players has a treasure very close to him, hops on over to picks it up and tries to deliver it to a sanctuary -- but whoops! The treasure turns out to be a fake thanks to a card I played on it, and the scramble begins anew.

Not having shuffled the cards probably explains why we kept drawing the same type of encounter continually, and quickly drained the all-important luck, for which there are probably not enough opportunities for replenishment. One potential house rule I'm considering is giving a player 2 Stamina and 3 Fate each turn for the three turns they need to recover when losing the last point of Stamina, just because it's next to impossible to get any luck when one is already out of it.

While there are many fun cards in the game (revenge is sweet, as I found out when I tried to deliver my own treasure, just to have the sanctuary close its gates right in front of me, sending me halfway across the world in order to deliver my treasure), some are just like Talisman's hated Raiders: for example, there's one that'll take away all your companions unless you can pay 100 crowns for each. And if you encounter J'Cabe, the game's big bad guy, you better have 5 luck, or you might be out all your items, companions, or allies. Cards like that put one player at a massive disadvantage, given how important companions and items are for winning encounters; and being at a massive disadvantage in a game as random as Mythgardia is not a lot of fun. Sure, it's better than Talisman in that you can actually try and prevent your fate, but if you can't you're still SOL, so some of those cards may get house-ruled.

With 3 players, the game took just about two hours including rules explanations, which is slightly too long for a filler, so it probably won't hit the table very often; but, when looking for some beer'n'pretzel-type fun, Mythgardia is at least as good as Talisman, and fixes some of its problems. And that's exactly what I expected, and exactly what I got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowering the number of points needed to 2 instead of 3 could be a solution to the time problem... I found today when playing with our 5yo that was necessary, and thanks to that he enjoyed the game

I want to give the game a try with my gf, but right now I'm leaning more towards thinking this is a great game to play with kids... still, I like the fact that it's a different twist on the adventure genre, so it feels different enough to keep its place in our collection...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Super-belatedly, using 2 dice instead of one could also work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
And yes, there are better games than Talisman out there, but it's still a fun, random, no-holds-barred player-vs-player romp that is ever so slightly too long.

I know you mentioned Talisman 3rd ed. and no number of players was given, but since adding Dungeon to the 4th edition + Reaper expansion, there have been several games that have finished in under 1 hour (3-player). None of the 15 games with the Dungeon added have reached 2 hours.

Quote:
some are just like Talisman's much-loved Raiders:

Fixed ! Of course, talking about the real Raiders, not the nerfed FFG R4th Raiders which are basically another copy of Fool's Gold, only take you gold shake . Objects + Gold is what the real Raiders take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.