Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliot Fisch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Other than when combining infantry, only one counter is allowed on a space. So what happens if the Ogre rams an infantry of strength 3 on it's last move, thus weakening it to a 2 strength. What happens to the infantry left? They can't stay under the Ogre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think stacking applies per side, so the infantry actually does stay in the same hex as the Ogre. The same with disabled tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, thank you Seth... That (stacking is "per side") makes so much sense. I've been playing wrong and the way I thought it was supposed to work didn't really make a ton of sense to me (Ogre had to stay in original hex...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you get to reduce the infantry squad by 1 for very MP you spend in the hex, so if you spend 3 MPs youc an wipe out a full-strength infantry unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
And, just to be nit-picky, infantry are not "rammed". With infantry (unlike armor) the Ogre simply moves into the same space and, if it has any AP weapons, reduces the infantry strength by one. Note that this does not reduce the number of AP weapons available when the Ogre fires.

Treating the stacking limit as per side is a decent way to thik about it. However, two Ogres (if you are playing such a scenario) may NEVER share a space. (They do not enter the opponent Ogre's space when ramming.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
And, just to be nit-picky, infantry are not "rammed".

Yup. They're SQUASHED!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary has it right. They are not rammed at all. This might be wrong, but if all your Ogre's weapon systems are destroyed, you have no way to deal with infantry. Remember each hex is approximately 1 mile. The infantry would just move out of the way and avoid getting rammed. I think of the AP as huge shotguns or cluster bombs that saturate an area and destroy everything soft. (Can also be used on trucks and other D0 targets, right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If an Ogre has any AP left, and moves into a space with INF, the INF is reduced by 1 squad. The Ogre may spend a second movement point to stay in the same space and reduce the INF again. It may not do this a third time, so a 3/1 INF counter can be reduced to a 1/1 by Ogre movement, but then must be fired upon to be destroyed.

The Ogre's AP weapons fire HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) rounds, and are only effective against INF and any unit/counter with a Defense of 0.

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
If an Ogre has any AP left, and moves into a space with INF, the INF is reduced by 1 squad. The Ogre may spend a second movement point to stay in the same space and reduce the INF again. It may not do this a third time, so a 3/1 INF counter can be reduced to a 1/1 by Ogre movement, but then must be fired upon to be destroyed.

Just a quick note to say that in the example given, the Ogre may indeed spend a third movement point within the hex to reduce enemy infantry by a third squad i.e. a 3/1 INF counter can be reduced to nothing using the infantry reduction rule in 6.06.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw Daniel's reply about that. Changes things a bit for dealing with INF.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
Just saw Daniel's reply about that. Changes things a bit for dealing with INF.

Although the Ogre could spend 3 MP stomping the same infantry counter 3 times, it's very rarely profitable to do so. Take that third movement point forward and shoot them with AP instead, since they're still in range. Even a 1-1 shot is 66% chance of killing it, and a 3-1 shot against a lone infantry is automatic destruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use advanced overrun doesn't that throw a big advantage toward the defender. i.e. they shoot first.

So if you were using advanced overrun and playing a crater map would:
- rushing it
- surrounding it
- forcing it to either hold (not move)
- or enter an overrun giving you (the defender another free attack)

Wouldn't that be a better idea than hanging back. Defender would get two attacks a turn if the Ogre overran them or it would cause the Ogre to take the long way around (or not move) so you could really pick it apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the defender shooting first in an overrun gives them an advantage (especially for infantry). That makes playing the classic scenario with stacking and overruns a different experience (although if you stack you risk spillover and if you stack too much the Ogre can just go around). Against armor, the average result of an overrun is generally less damage against the Ogre than if playing with the ramming rules, although you do get a chance to shoot at the weapons rather than the treads instead. Infantry see a slightly better result before being slaughtered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.