Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McDonald
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is a re-post. Yes, Im a noob...

Thanks to Philomars for reporting AA25 on Target store shelves. I went out yesterday and picked one up (North Alabama). Other than AA Europe, I have not purchased any other AA game since the original way back in the early 1980s. So after playing the revised edition online and discovering that I had missed out on AA50, I was excited to get a new version. I have yet to play the game but here are my initial thoughts:

1. The board is actually slightly larger than the original but the playable space is smaller becuase of the IPC chart at the bottom. I understand the AA50 board is much larger but unless they reprint it Im pretty much out of luck.

2. The board spaces are skewed a bit in some areas but the borders are still the same as the revised edition. From the looks of the size of the spaces, crowding is going to be an issue - especially in Europe and sea zones. Also, since the board is colored more like a map rather than a gameboard, the borders between territories are kind of hard to see.

3. As youve heard there is no money. Big whoop - I can split the cash from my original and have more than enough for both. Or just use pen and paper. There also is no tray to keep your units in. Ok, this is a gripe. Seperating all of the pieces by color before the start of each game does not sound like fun. It does seem that they cut a lot of corners this go around.

4. I like the cruiser unit. The more units the merrier as far as Im concerned. In most cases the initial set up has substituted a cruiser for a destroyer with one notable exception (see next point). This is good because it maintains the balance from the previous version. For example, the destroyers in sea zones 20, 35, and 50 are now cruisers. Cruisers cost 12 and destroyers are now 8 but destroyers now attack and defend at 2.

5. The British presence in the Med gets considerably neutered. The battleship is downgraded to a cruiser and the destroyer remains a destroyer. So not only does each unit take a hit in their attack/defense values but the 2 hit battleship is now a 1 hit cruiser. Depending on your Germany strategy this should free up at least 1 fighter, if not two, to be used in other opening round engagements.

6. Subs cost 6 and transports cost 7. This could be huge for japan - 1 IC and 2 transports on the first round! The best of both worlds. Cheap subs may also allow Germany to put up some kind of fight on the oceans rather than just waiting for the fleets to be sunk.

7. I am slightly confused on strategic bombing. I like the new idea of damaging a factory but the rule book isnt clear as to how much damage you can do. Page 14 states that " An industrial complex cannot receive more total damage then TWICE the IPC value of the territory on which it is located." Page 27 reiterates this. Page 25 restates this as well but then states (referring to ICs), "They can be heavily damaged, however, and can be damaged to the point where they have at least as many damage markers as they have production capacity." Well which is it? As much damage as production capacity or twice as much? Since repair is done at a cost of 1 IPC per damage point, it might not be worth spending 5 IPCs to repair a 4 capacity IC just to produce one unit.

I hope these points dont have too much of a negative spin. I really am excited about the game and cant wait to play it. Of course I am biased - Ive loved AA for the better part of 3 decades. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AUDavo wrote:
I am slightly confused on strategic bombing. I like the new idea of damaging a factory but the rule book isnt clear as to how much damage you can do. Page 14 states that " An industrial complex cannot receive more total damage then TWICE the IPC value of the territory on which it is located." Page 27 reiterates this. Page 25 restates this as well but then states (referring to ICs), "They can be heavily damaged, however, and can be damaged to the point where they have at least as many damage markers as they have production capacity." Well which is it? As much damage as production capacity or twice as much?

The full quote from page 25 is:
Quote:
Total damage to an industrial complex cannot exceed twice the IPC value of the territory on which the factory is located. Industrial complexes cannot be destroyed. They can be heavily damaged, however, and can be damaged to the point where they have at least as many damage markers as they have production capacity. In this case, no new units can enter the game through that factory until it is repaired.

The meaning of the third and fourth sentences is simply that if an industrial complex has at least as many damage markers as the IPC value of the territory, no new units may be mobilized there. The words "at least" indicate that this number is not a damage cap, but rather the point at which the industrial complex becomes inoperative. I hope this clears things up.

I'm glad that you (mostly ) like the game, and I hope you enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The corporate blurb for the '42 edition mentioned "refreshed" pieces as well as the new Cruiser.

Can you say whether the non-Cruiser pieces are the same as in A&A Revised, A&A Bulge, A&A Guad, etc., or have they all been re-done?

Particularly curious about whether the awful Sherman has had a breast reduction by having those sand shields removed.

Also wondering whether the British now have their own destroyer and whether anyone has new battleships or carriers. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The USA fighter is the P-38 from Revised. The Japanese artillery, German cruiser, and Soviet battleship, cruiser and destroyer all got brand new sculpts. The rest of the pieces are the same models as the ones in the Anniversary Edition, however all of the existing molds were refreshed, so expect them to be sharper and of better quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice bits review. Just curious, why wouldn't you sort all the bits and bag separately by color, instead of sorting before every game? Even with the game trays in the old edition, it was only a matter of time before someone not knowing any better turned them on their side. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McDonald
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, youre exactly right. Years ago I did away with the old styrofoam trays in favor of VHS tape cases. I wont be finding any of those these days but Ill come up with a solution. Most of the game box is air so it wont be too hard finding something functional that'll fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McDonald
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
AUDavo wrote:
I am slightly confused on strategic bombing. I like the new idea of damaging a factory but the rule book isnt clear as to how much damage you can do. Page 14 states that " An industrial complex cannot receive more total damage then TWICE the IPC value of the territory on which it is located." Page 27 reiterates this. Page 25 restates this as well but then states (referring to ICs), "They can be heavily damaged, however, and can be damaged to the point where they have at least as many damage markers as they have production capacity." Well which is it? As much damage as production capacity or twice as much?

The full quote from page 25 is:
Quote:
Total damage to an industrial complex cannot exceed twice the IPC value of the territory on which the factory is located. Industrial complexes cannot be destroyed. They can be heavily damaged, however, and can be damaged to the point where they have at least as many damage markers as they have production capacity. In this case, no new units can enter the game through that factory until it is repaired.

The meaning of the third and fourth sentences is simply that if an industrial complex has at least as many damage markers as the IPC value of the territory, no new units may be mobilized there. The words "at least" indicate that this number is not a damage cap, but rather the point at which the industrial complex becomes inoperative. I hope this clears things up.

I'm glad that you (mostly ) like the game, and I hope you enjoy it!

Hey, crystal clear. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
The USA fighter is the P-38 from Revised. The Japanese artillery, German cruiser, and Soviet battleship, cruiser and destroyer all got brand new sculpts. The rest of the pieces are the same models as the ones in the Anniversary Edition, however all of the existing molds were refreshed, so expect them to be sharper and of better quality.

Thanks for the details, Kevin. Nice to hear about the Soviet Navy. The "new German cruiser" news is a bit of a surprise; I wonder if the sculpt is the "Graf Spee" to distinguish the Cruiser more readily from the German BB (Bismarck).

After asking the question I found the component photos on the BGG entry. Although my itty bitty monitor doesn't have the highest resolution, it looks like there's still something weird on the front of the Sherman. Maybe now it's a Flail!

Will have to go back again and squint at the Soviets and the German CA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The German cruiser is still Admiral Hipper, they just redid the sculpt so that it actually looks like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new sculpts are a clever move on AH's part. Even though I own AA50 (and pretty much every other AA version out there), I now feel compelled to plunk down another $30 for 1942, just to get the new pieces! Genius, I tell you, genius!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar Jansen
Norway
flag msg tools
desertfox2004 wrote:
The new sculpts are a clever move on AH's part. Even though I own AA50 (and pretty much every other AA version out there), I now feel compelled to plunk down another $30 for 1942, just to get the new pieces! Genius, I tell you, genius!

It actually come with 6 japanese and 6 US tanks only, so everybody will need to buy 2 copies each. Yes WOTC are genius
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McDonald
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well now Ive had a chance to play a couple of games and would just like to update my 2cents a little:

Quote:
2. The board spaces are skewed a bit in some areas but the borders are still the same as the revised edition. From the looks of the size of the spaces, crowding is going to be an issue - especially in Europe and sea zones. Also, since the board is colored more like a map rather than a gameboard, the borders between territories are kind of hard to see.

Crowding is indeed an issue - especially in Europe in round one. Britain and the Eastern US are overloaded as well. I thought of just leaving the ICs off as I used to do in the original version but theyre needed to track bombing damage.The small spaces east of Germany combined with the dark territories/borders really makes knowing what unit belongs where a priority because theay all mesh together. I guess this is my only real gripe with the game - the board is just too small. Oh I didnt mention SZ6 - dont even think of placing anything in there. Greenland has become my SZ6 blowup box.

Quote:
5. The British presence in the Med gets considerably neutered. The battleship is downgraded to a cruiser and the destroyer remains a destroyer. So not only does each unit take a hit in their attack/defense values but the 2 hit battleship is now a 1 hit cruiser. Depending on your Germany strategy this should free up at least 1 fighter, if not two, to be used in other opening round engagements.

As a Germany player I really like this change. It really helps Germany out and as long as youre willing to take a little risk, it frees up your sub too. Ive started sending the sub to kill the Canadian transport and then sending a bomber and a fighter to hit the British cruiser. If Germany lucks up and the Ukraine fighter survives R1 then youre really in business.

Quote:
6. Subs cost 6 and transports cost 7. This could be huge for japan - 1 IC and 2 transports on the first round! The best of both worlds. Cheap subs may also allow Germany to put up some kind of fight on the oceans rather than just waiting for the fleets to be sunk.

As I knew I would, I love this for Japan. An IC and 2 transports on J1 really opens up the possibilities.

Im going to give the game a 7.5/10. Im biased and have always loved A&A but this new board is giving me trouble early on in games. Im going to try to find a white marker so I can trace the borders in Europe. It wont increase the size of the spaces but at least Ill be able to see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve 1501
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I read in another review that there are not enough chips and you say some of the European terr. are too small. One solution that would kill two birds with one stone would be to use a sheet metal shears to cut a few chips in half, or even quarters. Now you have more chips and they are smaller too. Quarters will fit under Inf. and halfs will fit under Tanks. Is this too radical of an idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.