Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliot, Vincent, if you're willing to suffer my suggestions... I like how succinct version 1.21 of the rules is; however Daniel's rash of questions put me into editor mode when I refreshed (and updated) my memory with the new rules. As a result, I find that there are some things that I feel should be clarified in this version of the rules:

colonist Combat: Add a quick combat example that shows the way the usually-single-roll combat works: e.g. red rolls 66555 and green rolls 6661.
red green
65555 = 6661
66555 = 6661
66555 < 6661

Green wins.
colonist The rules consistently use the expression "when a player moves a unit into a square" when I think what is meant is "when a unit ends its movement in a square". The rules as written lead the reader to believe that a general or cavalry can breeze through a space in a turn, salting or claiming it along the way.
colonist Salting: The rules mention reclaiming the square, but don't instruct the players to flip the marker back to the color side. It can be inferred, but I think explicit mention of it would be better than the implication.
colonist Moving multiple units together: You should clarify that units moving together must move as a group for the whole move, which means the group is only as fast as its slowest member. Additionally, some form of Vincent's statement would be welcome.
colonist Attacking structures: You need to clarify that it works just like attacking units, in that each attacker gets a stab at it.
colonist Taking the Capital: It's not perfectly clear in the rules that you don't have to attack the capital per se. Since you first engage enemy units, then enemy structures, then the capital, I think that paragraph could be replaced by something like the following: A player may defeat their opponent by moving into the opponent's capital square, defeating all the enemy units there, then the defensive structure in that square. Once the structure is destroyed, the capital has been taken! As worded, it is correct, but leaves a few questions, as Daniel cleverly discovered.

Thank you for your time and consideration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew! Thanks! Like I said, I appreciate your distillation efforts. I was a little surprised when I saw the size of the instructions, and even more surprised to discover that they did a good job of explaining the game. They just left those few questions and misleading choices of wording. Good luck, and thanks for being a good sport about it (and for teaching me your fascinating game in the first place).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is old, but WOW! did I ask a lot of questions. It's funny to see them all in one place... Thanks for all the support, guys!

~Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.