Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Twitter feed of The D6 Generation !

I guess official news will follow soon.

TheD6Generation#gencon FFG Rpt: Battlelore new Creatures: huge hydra and new versions of giant and elemental
25 minutes ago from Snaptu

TheD6Generation#gencon FFG Report: Battlelore sets: Dragons adds 3 dragons to the game
26 minutes ago from Snaptu

TheD6Generation#gencon FFG report: Battlelore expansion took a bit as had to change manuf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, finally, some excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoopeeeee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's your pics !

Thank the nice guys at D6 Generation !

Hydra http://twitpic.com/dvtff

Dragons http://twitpic.com/dvthy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

I can see hexes, cards, tokens, and rules in addition to the figures themselves. It looks like the creature sculpts are rather tasty!

The colours of the plastics used look significantly different from DoW grey. I wonder if this is an FFG innovation: different colour plastic for different unit levels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's more is that the pic showing the Creatures box is also showing a hill giant and earth elemental. I'm wondering if the creature box will come with those early promo figs. My guess would be: sure, yes why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
This avatar stinks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sothis wrote:
Fantastic!

I can see hexes, cards, tokens, and rules in addition to the figures themselves. It looks like the creature sculpts are rather tasty!

The colours of the plastics used look significantly different from DoW grey. I wonder if this is an FFG innovation: different colour plastic for different unit levels?

I suspect they are just the colors of the prototypes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool looking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
What's more is that the pic showing the Creatures box is also showing a hill giant and earth elemental. I'm wondering if the creature box will come with those early promo figs. My guess would be: sure, yes why not?

I guess so, as the box graphics show both the Hydra and the EE. That means I'm unlikely to buy the box to get just one new creature, but plenty of other people will no doubt be delighted to get all three at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
Here's your pics !

Thank the nice guys at D6 Generation !

Hydra http://twitpic.com/dvtff

Dragons http://twitpic.com/dvthy

Yippee!! I was about to sell my BattleLore, now I can keep it!! No sense going on without monsters in BattleLore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
Whoopeeeee!

ditto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:

For what it's worth, those aren't the promo figs. Sort of. It's a Rock Elemental and a Forest Giant. It doesn't take a genius to see how they could be used in lieu of those promo figs though. I think this is a great way to please those who missed out before while not irritating those who already own the promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From bcwMD at the FFG forums

Sorry, no access to pictures (wife had access to the camera all day), but they have confirmed Dragons and Creaturesas two sets they hope to have out by the end of the year. There are some links to pictures in someone else's post a bit farther down the board.

Creatures: Forest Giant, Rock Elemental, and Hydra--new mechanics for the re-releases of the old figs to have something for those of us that already have them, plus the hydra. Haven't seen everything yet, but I can confirm that the Rock Elemental is a Red banner! Oh, and the Forest Giant has a treetop home instead of a rock pile, and throws logs (but not sure if the mechanics are any different).

Dragons: Forest Wyvern, Ice Drake, and Fire Dragon--all new sculps, and not sure what the banners of any are. However, I suspect at least the Fire Dragon is a Red, due to it's summary card that I saw. Essentially, when it moves, it can fly and therefore move passed enemy spaces. Any spaces it crosses marked with it's breath, and when it lands, it rolls 4 dice against each target. Hits lead to the target actually being hit by the fire breath, with a special token attached to them. Didn't get the chance to see what it did, but it didn't sound nice.

Hopefully will get more of an opportunity to check everything out tomorrow, as I got shuffled out of the way for someone from a media site to take pictures of it and the War of the Ring Collector's Edition sitting right next to it. However, given that the BattleLore tournament was a wash, with no one else sticking around for the whole thing, I get to play against Richard Borg tomorrow, so plenty of time to ask questions and get things sorted out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
Dragons: Forest Wyvern, Ice Drake, and Fire Dragon--all new sculps, and not sure what the banners of any are. However, I suspect at least the Fire Dragon is a Red, due to it's summary card that I saw.

Hmmm.

Forest Wyvern

Ice Drake

Fire Dragon

Perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
From bcwMD at the FFG forums

Creatures: Forest Giant, Rock Elemental, and Hydra--new mechanics for the re-releases of the old figs to have something for those of us that already have them, plus the hydra. Haven't seen everything yet, but I can confirm that the Rock Elemental is a Red banner! Oh, and the Forest Giant has a treetop home instead of a rock pile, and throws logs (but not sure if the mechanics are any different).

OK - I take it back. I will be getting both!

Thanks to all those sharing info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dyke
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It never rains but it pours! I was just overcoming my excitement at the Heroes expansion, having picked out a perfect spot for it in my games cabinet, when this bombshell hits. So happy . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody comments on the fact that the boxes are the same like the old ones?

Battlelore will continue to be expensive, especially since FFG has already raised its prices.

I am still wishing for a big box expansion. Like a full new race or something, Not 3 creatures and another 3 creatures after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The success of these expansions will depend on the product price. I can't see myself spending a lot for one new creature, the Hydra, in a set that otherwise only contains remakes of of the already existing Giant and Earth Elemental. Ditto for the three Dragons set. How much would three small plastic Dragons be worth?

Battlelore really needs a campaign system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not just any old Hydra... a modular one, no less.

Taken from bwcMD at the FFG forums.

Well, Richard and Rob wiped the floor with our paltry forces in the final game today. A good time was had by all, though. Sounds like they're actually going to do a post about it on the site at some point (including pictures), so more in the future.

Dragons: Rob thought this was coming out first, but they didn't have any figs at the con (the factory didn't send them and adequate number of figs to preview). Fire Dragon is Red, Ice Drake is Blue, and Forest Wyvern is Green. Like all creatures, dragons can only be killed with a critical hit--however, the first threatening die against them is always ignored. So you need to roll two hits to trigger your critical hit roll, and always roll one less die than you normally would, making them even tougher! No word on their movement speeds, but they all have the Fly ability so can move past friendly or enemy forces (although any Lore cards that can stop their movement, like Web, cause them to drop to the ground and roll one die for a critical hit). The Fire Dragon marks every unit it flies over (no word on it's movement rate, but it sounded like it could mark multiple units), and then unleashes a 4 dice attack upon landing against each of those enemy units. No word on what else it can do, or what any of the other ones can do, but it will also apparently include a summary card for the Troll, for those who bought that fig.

Creatures: Creatures will include the Rock (Earth) Elemental and Forest (Hill) Giant figs (Red and Green, respectively), as well as a modular Hydra (by far the coolest, but I'll get to that). It also includes summary cards for playing the base set Spider as a Blue Widow Spider (not sure how it differs from the Green Spider except for banner color, but there is a scenario on the back cover of the instruction manual that has the French using one Spider on each flank). The Forest Giant only rolls 2 dice to attack, except when it's on it's Lair, when it can make a ranged 3 attack for 3 dice (cannot make this in melee, though). It also ignores all terrain restrictions for forests, making it even more mobile as a Green unit. The Rock Elemental's Lair appears to be a special hex that no other unit can enter (a Magical Vortex), and it requires you to have a Wizard of at least level 1 on your Council to summon. There is apparently a number of Vortex cards as well, but their role isn't defined. By far the coolest, though, is the Blue banner Hydra. It comes with 6 different heads and necks, starting with a single head and neck on each of three stumps. It's life pool is similar to the Troll's--every time it takes a banner color hit (no sword-on-shield or criticals involved), it loses a neck. When a neck is removed, it goes out of the game. However, at that point, every time it rolls a Lore, it gains a new neck--a bifurcating neck with 2 heads. It seems as though it's going to be limited to 6 necks (and therefore 6 "HP") total, unlike the Troll with its capacity for infiinite regeneration as long as it stays alive. However, given the ability to add new heads, I'm assuming the Hydra rolls extra dice for extra heads.

Unfortunately, they only had the test prints of a handful of the cards, and since they were test prints, they were only single-sided. They also only had the boxes and front/back exterior covers of the rules booklets, so a lot of this is incomplete. The goal is to have both out by the end of the year, though, so hopefully Rob will start giving us more info soon.

And as for what is coming out after this, Rob was pretty tight-lipped (obviously it's been a big push to get Heroes out in time for GenCon, and they need to finish these next two projects before moving on to the next), and while Richard certainly has a lot of say, it's still ultimately FFG's decision--which means no word on what army might be next, or when we might get Dwarf and Goblin deployment decks.

Oh, and with Heroes, I'll be doing a review on BoardGameGeek in the next couple of days, so look for that once it goes up. I will say though that a Rogue combined with Riding and Backstabber, with a Sword of Fear (I believe it was called), is an absolutely devastating combo--Richard took out most of our left flank with his Rogue embedded in a Rad cavalry unit. Five dice to attack, and once you start fleeing you're hit with a Fear effect so have to retreat extra and check for Panic Losses. Especially when combined with his unnatural dice karma leading off--I think the first 3 or 4 attacks with that unit were entirely composed of banner hits, sword-on-shield (slaughtering our opposing Hero), or flags. Three or four units on that side were simply anihilated, either from direct attacks or from the panic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news about these expansions! It actually looks as if these Dragons and Creatures may see the light of day fairly soon, too!

I can't wait to read the reveiw. I'll be checking the BGG forums, as well as FFG, for any further news!

In the meantime, I'll have to figure out a way to get all these expansions in my hands without my wife freaking out!
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
FINALLY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic news indeed.
Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, long time ago Richard Borg gave some hints about two new expansions after heroes and I both guessed them right: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3135402#3135402

If anyone wants a personal clairvoyant session for his/her future for a fair price you can PM me. :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone should add these to the BGG Database *hint hint*

(someone less lazy than me... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.