Popular Tags: [View All]
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The rules for Maria are ready for download. Also there is some additional information about the game:

http://www.histogame.de/e_maria.html

A preorder-page will be set up in the next days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*freufreu

I think I start planing my next Essentrip right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
around Ulm
Alb-Donau Kreis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you provide an overview of the changes compared to Friedrich?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
There are two types of changes:

* Obvious changes, for instance:
- Maria has no fate cards
- Maria introduces a political system
- Powers of one player move their pieces simultaneously
- Maria introduces hussars

* Subtle changes, for instance:
- Only 2 generals may stack (not 3)
- there is no total troops limit for the individual powers (only the 8 troops per general is in effect)
- A general has not to stop moving when eliminating a supply train, etc.

I think the more problematic changes are the subtle ones, since they can be easily overlooked when reading the rules fast. Therefore, the game will provide a playing aid for each playe which summarizes the most important subtle changes.

On the histogame-site, the section "How to play" is still missing. It is planned that this section gives a quick overview about the mechanics. However, since I want to incorporate photos of the real game, I have to wait until the game is finished with production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott deVries
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading voraciously, looks like a great political system addition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Tyman
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading through the rules and have a question...

On page 4 under Hussars it reads "The costs are according to the length of the traced supply path, i.e. 1 point of TC per city." However, in the example picture it shows "2 times 4 cities = Pay 8 points of TC". So do you pay 1 per city or 2 per city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
1 per city, but for EACH general. -- In the example there are 2 generals, thus you have to pay 2 times 4 = 8

Note: The same idea of "each general" is used for the losses of troops when out of supply. If a stack of 2 generals is flipped face-down, each general suffers an immediate loss of 1 troop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Tyman
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rsivel wrote:
1 per city, but for EACH general. -- In the example there are 2 generals, thus you have to pay 2 times 4 = 8

Note: The same idea of "each general" is used for the losses of troops when out of supply. If a stack of 2 generals is flipped face-down, each general suffers an immediate loss of 1 troop.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thank you for the clarification. Should have paid more attention to the fact that there are 2 generals there blush.

I am also glad you made an introductory level that is just 90 minutes. Learning a new game with all the rules via a 3-5 hour first game makes it hard to get new players to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aingeru Malkav
Spain
Bilbao
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
mb
One little Errata

page 6, 2nd column, 1st paragarph
Quote:
... If more more than one ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:
Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thank you for the clarification. Should have paid more attention to the fact that there are 2 generals there blush.
I have to be ashamed! -- Examples should be clear and easy to understand! It would have been better to write: 2 generals, 4 cities = Pay 8 points of TC

Quote:
I am also glad you made an introductory level that is just 90 minutes. Learning a new game with all the rules via a 3-5 hour first game makes it hard to get new players to try it.
Yes, that was the idea behind it. Although I think that many of the maria-players will come from Friedrich, there will be newbies as well. For them the introductory scenario is designed, and it is designed for players who don't have so much time on a given evening :-)
(Note, that I had one playtest with experienced gamers, but totally friedrich-maria-newbies) and we played the introductory scenarion in 60 minutes incl. 20 minutes rules-teaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Tyman
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep thinking about this game when I should be asleep... whistle

Having now read the rules and design notes, I am fascinated how this game is balanced. In the 3 player game it is basically 1 1/2 powers against 1 1/2 powers, but in the 2 player game it is Austria vs almost everybody. Particularly, how are the 20 generals divided among the powers. How many generals does Austria, Prussia, Saxony, the Pragmatic army, France and Bavaria have?

Also, I can't wait to see some of the political cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Martin,

I am somehow happy that Maria doesn't let you sleep, but I am in sorrow for your health as well... You need sleep!

About your comments:
Yes, in the 3 player advanced game it is basically everybody against everybody although the players are in fixed alliances.

In the two player game, it is not Austria against everybody, but simply: Player A takes the Alliance Austria+Pragmatic Army, while the other player takes all the other powers of the Anti-Austrian alliance.

About the generals. They are distributed like this:

Austria: 6
France: 5
Prussia: 3+1 (1 general is not in the game at game-start; he can be brought into the game via political cards (that is if Russia is no threat for Prussia)
Pragmatic Army: 3
Bavaria: 1
Saxony: 1

Number of supply trains:
Austria: 3
France: 2
Prussia: 1+1 (1 is not in the game at game-start; it can be brought into the game via the annexion of Silesia)
Pragmatic Army: 1
Bavaria: 1
Saxony: 1

And, yes, it is time for me to give some more pictures, for instance the political cards :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aingeru Malkav
Spain
Bilbao
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
mb
rsivel wrote:
I am somehow happy that Maria doesn't let you sleep, but I am in sorrow for your health as well... You need sleep!
Last Wednesday i fall asleep while reading the advanced rules ...(though it were 3 am...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
First I'd like to thank Herr Sivél for his excellent games. FRIEDRICH is awesome and all available information indicates that MARIA will be equally(if not more) awesome.

Now, to the questions!

1) Information about the difference between major and minor fortresses is somewhat spread out in the rules, but as I understand it, a major fortress in MARIA functions as a combined depot city + objective city using FRIEDRICH terminology, while a minor fortress is simply an objective city, with the difference that a fortress in MARIA can be conquered by any enemy power and not just one specific power as is the case in FRIEDRICH. Correct?

2) When attacking with mixed stacks, what number of troops does the power to which the highest ranking general belong(ie the power whose TCs are used) report when the initial score of the combat is determined, just the number of troops commanded by the lower-ranking general or the combined number of troops of both generals?
I suspect that it is the combined number, but the rules are a bit unclear.

3) The rules say that "if less than 3 troops were eliminated, but at least 1 general was removed from the board, the combat is worth exactly 1 victory point". In the example following this, the rules state about a battle where 2 generals and 10 troops are lost that "the generals are worth one point". Why even mention the generals when more than 3 troops were lost? Seems a bit confusing.

4) In the negotiations section, the rules state that "powers cannot agree on a peace treaty(except the Annexation of Silesia)". However, in one of the examples below this Prussia offers not to attack Austria for two turns. What is the difference between this and a peace treaty?

Thank you in advance! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hello peter, thank you for your nice words on Friedrich and Maria.

Answering your questions:

1.) You got the transfer from major/minor fortress to the friedrich terminology correct. One thing to add to your description is that major/minor fortresses block a force march.

About the statement: "A fortress can be conquered by anybody", it should be more precise: "A fortress can be conquered by anybody who is enemy to the currently controlling power" (That is Prussia CANNOT conquer a French controlled fortress, no matter where the fortress is located)

2.) You state (and fight with) the total number of troops in the stack.

3.) The example wanted to illustrate both aspects of how victory points are calculated. I wanted to make clear that 2 generals are only 1 point (and not 1 point per general), while the loss is worth 1 point per 3 lost troops. Maybe I wanted too much, and created confusion?

4.) A peace treaty would mean that 2 powers are not enemies anymore for the rest of the game. This is not possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls