Joe Steadman
United States
Appling
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: I love sexy bootsMicrobadge: Wargamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Musical rooms - now in the basement, what's next the roof? Ha Ha
For those of us who haven't played ASL a wargame basics video would help. Other than components I'm not sure what game play looks like.

2nd best line:
"fresh game smell ohhhh"
best line:
"this is Gary the Gourd"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Appling
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: I love sexy bootsMicrobadge: Wargamer
Chris,

Thanks for the words. To be honest my reviews are more for wargamers but you are right I need to do a wargame basics video. I'll keep that in mind. Anything that you would want covered specifically?

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
Microbadge: Burrito loverMicrobadge: I like tacosMicrobadge: I love Mexican foodMicrobadge: 18Mex fanMicrobadge: Mexican Food fan
It is nice to see wargame reviews, it would be nice if you could do another when you have played it, so we can see what the game is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Omen: A Reign of War fanMicrobadge: The Hobbit fanMicrobadge: Sakura Hunt fanMicrobadge: Information Technologist
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
It is nice to see wargame reviews, it would be nice if you could do another when you have played it, so we can see what the game is like.
For me, a Review cannot exist absent play - a smell/taste/visual inspection of the physical components is a Preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhammer wrote:
For me, a Review cannot exist absent play - a smell/taste/visual inspection of the physical components is a Preview.
I agree that this was more preview than review, but still enjoyed it a lot.

Seeing unboxing videos is great, especially when I'm eagerly awaiting my own copy. One thing that would help is maybe doing a second short video after you get the chance to read the rules. That way you could discuss what things are new/neat/different from other games, instead of just saying "it's a lot like Game X". Also, hearing actual gameplay impressions after you've had the chance to play is very important to me eventually.
:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Sumo fanMicrobadge: My child has no mercy beating me in games.Microbadge: Chone manya weesh asha beecho...Microbadge: I love Canada
I'm very new to wargaming, but still I enjoy your videos. If you could do a sample turn on a beginner scenario that would help me a lot in deciding whether or not I would like a game, and I don't think it would take that long to do. Maybe make a two part review?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeSteadman wrote:
Chris,

Thanks for the words. To be honest my reviews are more for wargamers but you are right I need to do a wargame basics video. I'll keep that in mind. Anything that you would want covered specifically?

Joe
First I want to echo what a few folks have said - it's nice to see war games reviewed on video. I'm interested in war games I have a couple but don't really know much about them because I haven't had a chance to play them a lot.
The video does seem more of a preview and a look at components vs. how does game play look and what you like about this game vs. other wargames you play. I get the feeling I should know all about game play already but I don't. Is that my lack of war gaming knowledge?

This is where my request for War Gaming 101 comes in. I would like help on:
1) What are entry level wargames, mid, complex war games.
2) What are the types of war games and who might like what type.
3) How to start in war gaming. Should I just dive in and expect to make mistakes and learn from there? or should I learn from others - vassel etc, or another path?

I've heard some of this discussed on the Point-to-Point Podcast, but would love to hear/see your thoughts.

[Edit] I see you started a blog on this. I tried to comment but it seems like the comment field is turned off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Appling
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
I just recorded wargamers school part one, Tom should post it soon.

Also, the comments on my blog should work fine?

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeSteadman wrote:
I just recorded wargamers school part one, Tom should post it soon.
Cool! Thanks!

Quote:
Also, the comments on my blog should work fine?

Joe
Works. I think it was just blocked at work by the connection I was looking at it from. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls