Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I won this werewolf in a top hat microbadge from Level 99 Games!Microbadge: Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain fan
It's a simple question. Can Strategic Planning and Calculations be played when Kat uses her Hotshot ability? And does she benefit from Structural Damage on a basestar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Microbadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The GuardianMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization fan
well I think if the answer to any of them is yes, then the answer to all of them is yes. However I think the answer to all of them is no, as you are not rolling a dice and thus those cards/rules all refer to adding to the dice roll itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GHS memberMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
Gee, I'd have thought SP added to her "in lieu of die roll". One for the FAQ!

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Microbadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth fanMicrobadge: AH LCG - The GuardianMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization fan
I love how we have come up with so many questions for the FAQ without actually playing the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Roses are red...Microbadge: Pinball fanMicrobadge: AnarchistMicrobadge: Pinball fanMicrobadge: Karl Marx
Well your not rolling a die, so I would think no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Green
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Good job, Reference Pear!Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Space Alert fan
fatetwister64 wrote:
Well your not rolling a die, so I would think no.
The FAQ says yes for Strategic Planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 3.141 592 653 589 793 238 462 643 383 279 502 884 197 169 399 375 105 820 974 944 592 307 816 406 286 208 998 628 034 825 342 117 067 982 148 086 513 282 306 647 093 844 609 550 582 231 725 359 408 128 481 117 450 284 102 701 938 521 105 559 644 ...Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
That was a typo in the FAQ. Corey confirmed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Roses are red...Microbadge: Pinball fanMicrobadge: AnarchistMicrobadge: Pinball fanMicrobadge: Karl Marx
So to sum up. FAQ says, No Sat Planning for Hotshot checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bpp complete
msg tools
fatetwister64 wrote:
No, it's worse than that. The FAQ says that "'Strategic Planning' and other effects that modify die rolls" cannot be used in conjunction with Kat's ability.

This is disappointing. This means "Structural Damage" (the manual says "all attacks against the basestar gain +2 to their die rolls," making this an effect that modifies a die roll) cannot affect Kat's ability, which is completely nonsensical. In addition, a unrevealed Cylon player can also no longer use 'planning' to -1 one of Kat's "guaranteed" successes.

It also goes against a literal reading of the text of Kat's ability, which means that a future reprint would probably have to address this issue. Overall, the fact that so many errata have to be released before the game is released through a public channel is alarming: it suggests severely limited playtesting on the part of the developers. These aren't rare situations that we're questioning. Compounded with the printing errors, buying the first edition of this game seems a risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
bppcomplete wrote:
fatetwister64 wrote:
No, it's worse than that. The FAQ says that "'Strategic Planning' and other effects that modify die rolls" cannot be used in conjunction with Kat's ability.

This is disappointing. This means "Structural Damage" (the manual says "all attacks against the basestar gain +2 to their die rolls," making this an effect that modifies a die roll) cannot affect Kat's ability, which is completely nonsensical. In addition, a unrevealed Cylon player can also no longer use 'planning' to -1 one of Kat's "guaranteed" successes.

It also goes against a literal reading of the text of Kat's ability, which means that a future reprint would probably have to address this issue. Overall, the fact that so many errata have to be released before the game is released through a public channel is alarming: it suggests severely limited playtesting on the part of the developers. These aren't rare situations that we're questioning. Compounded with the printing errors, buying the first edition of this game seems a risk.
I think you're overreacting a bit. There was only one printing error that I am aware of (Kat's negative). It would have been nice if they had addressed certain issues in the rulebook instead of the fax but that won't reduce my enjoyment of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I won this werewolf in a top hat microbadge from Level 99 Games!Microbadge: Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain fan
bppcomplete wrote:
In addition, a unrevealed Cylon player can also no longer use 'planning' to -1 one of Kat's "guaranteed" successes.
This is a good thing, quite frankly. Nobody else's abilities can be negated by a card play and no action either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-STMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
My group always applied a -2 to the hit range for a basestar having structural damage. That made its to hit for galactica 3-8 and for a viper 6-8.

Seeing as this is how we look at it, we will most likely let kat's hotshot ability affect a base star. She has to sac a 4 or 5 just to get one hit on an already weakened base star anyway, which is a good enough sacrifice. (Hotshot cannot even HIT a full strength basestar.)

Note, looking at it this way will not, in any way, affect the Pegasus board spaces, since they damage ships based on specific die rolls not linked to the to-hit charts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bpp complete
msg tools
bungeeboy wrote:

Note, looking at it this way will not, in any way, affect the Pegasus board spaces, since they damage ships based on specific die rolls not linked to the to-hit charts.
Whoa, what?? That's why your interpretation is incorrect.

Structural damage: "all attacks against the basestar gain +2 to their die rolls,"

Pegasus CIC: "Choose a basestar and roll a die. 1-3: Damage Pegasus. 4-6: Damage basestar. 7-8: Damage basestar twice." This is clearly an "attack against the basestar," and if there's structural damage on the basestar, you gain 2 to your die roll (unless you're Kat and you're using your ability, apparently).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-STMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
I disagree. There are only three times that there is an "attack" in this game.
1) A piloted or unmanned viper may initiate and attack against one cylon ship in their space area.
2) Using weapon control, a player may "Attack 1 cylon ship with Galactica".
3) The armory allows a player to attack a centurion. This is not relevant for this discussion.

What numbers 1 and 2 have in common is that they both refer to the damage charts on the back of the core rules. Note, that these are both listed, specifically, by wording, as an attack.

Read Pegasus CIC: "Choose a basestar and roll a die." This is not an attack. It is not listed as an attack, nor does it take the damage chart into account. Structural damage does not count.

Note that Kat could still use hotshot on CIC, since the ability is used whenever she rolls a die during her action step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fanMicrobadge: Homesteaders fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Eric, I'm pretty sure this was officially clarified somewhere (such as the Pegasus rules) and there's no point in disagreeing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I apologize, but I can't find the passage you are referring to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls