Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
SABG played several more games today, but I only played in one of them. Since we had four, we played with a sympathetic leader. I got Cavil and the "Salvage their equipment" agenda (Win with cylons but Galactica needs to have 0-2 damage).

The other players were Zarek, Boomer and Cain (played by
The Doctor is In
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
). (Again this was random).

I took a treachery card early (which was a mistake), but then played helpful ... I noticed that there was another cylon on the deal (because one skill check had an extra bad card) but nobody else noticed (although they could have, if they were paying attention). Since I hadn't played with a leader before, I decided to simply help the humans because I needed to be able to infiltrate (to repair). So I tended to pick Caprica and make sure that none of the cards I drew bombarded. I often gave them jumps, and tossed a bit of help into checks, although not much. Boomer kept bottom cards while scouting (during and end of turn) which raised Cain's suspicion, so he kept XOing Zarek. I kept waiting for one resource to fall and then pick on it, since I couldn't very well just dump base-stars all over the place (since they'd likely bombard).

After the sleeper phase hit on Boomer's Turn, Cain went next and blind jumped ... but failed to reach new Caprica. By this point, a basestar had appeared and some bombards had taken out the armory and one ohter location. Zarek, now desperate, revealed (which cost me my hand, a fact I hadn't noticed). I went to the cylon fleet and moved the heavies (mainly to force the humans to repair the armory). On the next turn Zarek shoved the heavies, then I used Cavils power to move them three times (meaning they were two away from victory). Boomer repaired the armory, then Cain XO'd her and played a strategic planning to kill one boarder, and then another one, which missed.

I'm still not sure about the 4/6 agendas, but the humans could have easily won. Perhaps I should have just been clearly hostile early on, but then I'd have gotten hosed if some random bombardments hurt galactica. (Thankfully, right as the heavies showed up, the humans chose to take a random damage on pegasus, instead of a 3rd on galactica).

Best story -- They are playing another game, and the hosts' baby is wandering in the same room (supervised). One of the players says "Where's the Toaster?" and the baby instantly and emphatically points at one of the players (MichaelL). They then realize that the actual toaster is right behind Michael (although he was a Cylon at the time, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
SABG played several more games today, but I only played in one of them. Since we had four, we played with a sympathetic leader. I got Cavil and the "Salvage their equipment" agenda (Win with cylons but Galactica needs to have 0-2 damage).

The other players were Zarek, Boomer and Cain (played by
The Doctor is In
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
). (Again this was random).

I took a treachery card early (which was a mistake), but then played helpful ... I noticed that there was another cylon on the deal (because one skill check had an extra bad card) but nobody else noticed (although they could have, if they were paying attention). Since I hadn't played with a leader before, I decided to simply help the humans because I needed to be able to infiltrate (to repair). So I tended to pick Caprica and make sure that none of the cards I drew bombarded. I often gave them jumps, and tossed a bit of help into checks, although not much. Boomer kept bottom cards while scouting (during and end of turn) which raised Cain's suspicion, so he kept XOing Zarek. I kept waiting for one resource to fall and then pick on it, since I couldn't very well just dump base-stars all over the place (since they'd likely bombard).

After the sleeper phase hit on Boomer's Turn, Cain went next and blind jumped ... but failed to reach new Caprica. By this point, a basestar had appeared and some bombards had taken out the armory and one ohter location. Zarek, now desperate, revealed (which cost me my hand, a fact I hadn't noticed). I went to the cylon fleet and moved the heavies (mainly to force the humans to repair the armory). On the next turn Zarek shoved the heavies, then I used Cavils power to move them three times (meaning they were two away from victory). Boomer repaired the armory, then Cain XO'd her and played a strategic planning to kill one boarder, and then another one, which missed.

I'm still not sure about the 4/6 agendas, but the humans could have easily won. Perhaps I should have just been clearly hostile early on, but then I'd have gotten hosed if some random bombardments hurt galactica. (Thankfully, right as the heavies showed up, the humans chose to take a random damage on pegasus, instead of a 3rd on galactica).

Best story -- They are playing another game, and the hosts' baby is wandering in the same room (supervised). One of the players says "Where's the Toaster?" and the baby instantly and emphatically points at one of the players (MichaelL). They then realize that the actual toaster is right behind Michael (although he was a Cylon at the time, too).

Haha little kids are intuitive. Yeah the cylon leader is certainly a strange mechanic to play with. I wonder what would have happened had you opted for the sympathetic cylon instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think the sympathetic cylon would be harder? You still have a win condition but only half the time to achieve it in? Not great hitting the sleeper phase with Galactica having 5 damage tokens and then find you have salvage their equipment for example.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cactusgod wrote:

Yeah the cylon leader is certainly a strange mechanic to play with. I wonder what would have happened had you opted for the sympathetic cylon instead?

David Morgan wrote:

Do you think the sympathetic cylon would be harder? You still have a win condition but only half the time to achieve it in? Not great hitting the sleeper phase with Galactica having 5 damage tokens and then find you have salvage their equipment for example.

Sympathetic cylon? Do ya'll mean sympathizer, different agenda or something else. "Salvage their equipment" is in the Sympathetic cylon leader agendas. That last example "Hitting the sleeper phase and then discovering you have damage your agenda" just doesn't happen. You start the game as a cylon leader with an agenda, or become a cylon mid-game without agenda.

Now, it's true that if you convert to a Cylon and then get no actions before Cain jumps to New Caprica that would suck. More a comment on Cain than the cylons.

Cylon leaders are a reasonable (not great) alternative to having a sympathizer, but I dislike how the game becomes totally dependent on the initial deal. This happened sometimes in the prior version (two cylons off the deal quickly figure it out and kill humanity ASAP), but those games end quickly. But now it happens on 1/3rd of all games with a leader...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:

Does the child hear mysterious music or draw odd little pictures of constellations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
So I tended to pick Caprica and make sure that none of the cards I drew bombarded.

If you use the Caprica location you skip the "activate Cylon ships" step of your turn, so it would be irrelevant whether the card caused Basestar activations or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
Cactusgod wrote:

Yeah the cylon leader is certainly a strange mechanic to play with. I wonder what would have happened had you opted for the sympathetic cylon instead?

David Morgan wrote:

Sympathetic cylon? Do ya'll mean sympathizer, different agenda or something else. "Salvage their equipment" is in the Sympathetic cylon leader agendas. That last example "Hitting the sleeper phase and then discovering you have damage your agenda" just doesn't happen. You start the game as a cylon leader with an agenda, or become a cylon mid-game without agenda.

Now, it's true that if you convert to a Cylon and then get no actions before Cain jumps to New Caprica that would suck. More a comment on Cain than the cylons.

Cylon leaders are a reasonable (not great) alternative to having a sympathizer, but I dislike how the game becomes totally dependent on the initial deal. This happened sometimes in the prior version (two cylons off the deal quickly figure it out and kill humanity ASAP), but those games end quickly. But now it happens on 1/3rd of all games with a leader...

They're talking about the new Sympthetic Cylon card, which replaces the original Sympathiser card from the base game. It works the same (receive during Sleeper Agent phase and immediately reveal) except that the player also receives a sympathetic agenda that they have to fulfil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

They're talking about the new Sympthetic Cylon card, which replaces the original Sympathiser card from the base game. It works the same (receive during Sleeper Agent phase and immediately reveal) except that the player also receives a sympathetic agenda that they have to fulfill.

Ah. That sounds terrible, although better than the sympathizer I suppose.

We've had plenty of games where whoever converts to a cylon in the sleeper phase gets a free (Victory or Loss). The sympathetic cylon with a specific agenda is just another way of doing that.

Overall, I'd have just been happier if all of the agenda cards were of the format:

You win the (The Team you are usually with)
if you fulfill some specific condition
(that hurts your team).

OR

You win with (The Team you are usually against)
if you fulfill some crazy specific condition.

(And the sympathetic cards have you with the humans, and hostile with the cylons). That way the cylon could go either way, depending on condition. The current rules unbalance when they have an extra opponent 1/3rd of the time, and theres no way around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Bankler wrote:
So I tended to pick Caprica and make sure that none of the cards I drew bombarded.

If you use the Caprica location you skip the "activate Cylon ships" step of your turn, so it would be irrelevant whether the card caused Basestar activations or not.

So I was always successful! I wonder if I was playing that wrong the whole time ... I think the others were handling the ships I was just blanking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Lauber
United States
Osage City
Kansas
flag msg tools
Cactusgod wrote:
Bankler wrote:

Haha little kids are intuitive. Yeah the cylon leader is certainly a strange mechanic to play with. I wonder what would have happened had you opted for the sympathetic cylon instead?
I would have called that literal rather than intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:

Baby in question (3 months ago):

The best part was MichaelL's response: "What!? No!!! It's not me! I promise!" in typical Michael denial tone, which of course, always indicates that the opposite is true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.