Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-STMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
So, rules state that if occupation forces are ever activated, but there are none on new caprica, then one is placed on the occupation authority.
Occupation Authority lists, as a cylon action, to activate one occupation force, then place one on occupation authority.

So, if there are no occupation forces on the board, and a cylon player activates the cylon ability of occupation authority, then do you place two patrols on it? One, since there are none to activate, then one because the action says so?
It seems to me that this would be the ONLY opportunity for a double placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
I'd say one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I can't remember exactly so I could be wrong but wouldn't forces activate at the end of a players turn? Therefore if a cylon player had added an occupation force then there would be one on the board so you wouldn't add another, but the one just placed would move up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Emerson, Lake & PalmerMicrobadge: Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds fanMicrobadge: Prog Rock fanMicrobadge: Yes fanMicrobadge: Dream Theater fan
I don't follow this, surely you only get 1 centurion. The activation of occupation authority forces is like that of cylon ships.

So if an activation happens and there are none you add one to the board. If the activation happens by a player taking an action and there is none on the board then the action is to place one on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Emerson, Lake & PalmerMicrobadge: Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds fanMicrobadge: Prog Rock fanMicrobadge: Yes fanMicrobadge: Dream Theater fan
DCAnderson wrote:
DaveD wrote:
I don't follow this, surely you only get 1 centurion. The activation of occupation authority forces is like that of cylon ships.

So if an activation happens and there are none you add one to the board. If the activation happens by a player taking an action and there is none on the board then the action is to place one on the board.
Board Game: Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion

Now that I read it closer there is some ambiguity.

It says to "Activate 1 Occupation Force and then place 1 Occupation Force on this location."

So it specifies for you to do both things. Now when it says to activate 1 Occupation force it is a little ambiguous as to whether you have to add one like you would if there is a general activation and none are present or not .

And "activating a Viper" means you can place one on the board, so this is a little weird.
I see what you mean, I should have gone away and looked at the board before posting. As you do 2 things, I would say that first you activate (which causes an addition to the board if there are no forces already there), then the second item is separate and does not depend on whether or not there are forces already present, so you add another centurion for a total of 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Owens
Philippines
Cainta
Rizal
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: There Will Be Games fanMicrobadge: Simpsons fanMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Cleveland Indians fan
Of course there are four Occupation force tokens and only three spaces for them. So I would think they can stack up. Also, the instructions make a point of the component limit.

We played it this way the other night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Adventures Gamers fanMicrobadge: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots fanMicrobadge: Merlin's Company Contest participant
DCAnderson wrote:
Here is the tricky part though. It doesn't say "activate Occupation Forces" it says "activate 1 Occupation Force". I'm gonna go email Corey real quick because this is a weird one.
This is precisely something we encountered. We decided that since it said "Activate 1" there was nothing to activate, therefore you move onto step 2 "Place one"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-STMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
DCAnderson wrote:

By a strict reading of the rules:

Quote:
Occupation forces tokens are activated during the Activate
Cylon Ships step by New Caprica Crisis Cards (see previous
page) or by the “Occupation Authority” location.
Each time
they are activated, each occupation forces token is moved
one space to the right following the track along the bottom of
the board.
and

Quote:
If there are no occupation forces tokens on the game
board when occupation forces are activated, place one on
the “Occupation Authority” location.
I think the answer is yes, you would get two Centurions.
The second point there is why I think 2. After activating Occupation Authority, which is stated as a legal occupation force activator, you check the board. If there are no forces, you add one. THEN you perform the second portion of the action, and add one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thanks Corey and thanks Dan and thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls