:
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Looking at Destroyed Ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Adventures Gamers fanMicrobadge: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots fanMicrobadge: Merlin's Company Contest participant
Something we never really thought about. I'm assuming the answer to this question is "yes" since everyone gets to see it when it explodes. However it seems a common strategy to look through the discarded ships during the new caprica phase in order to determine when it makes sense to jump.

This question is in effect regardless of whether or not it says "return to box" which I think it might..somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-STMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
I usually just remember which ships have been destroyed. There are 2 blanks, so if those are gone, I usually try to lose no others.
I suppose there's no rule that forbids looking at destroyed ship tokens removed from play. You can't look through discard piles though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Fallout series fanMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: Star Control 2 fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Its not hard to remember if the double population ships or the blanks have blown up yet. There's not that many ships, although its enough to reduce population to 0

Good question though... I would lean towards not letting anyone look, and then an unrevealed cylon could try to influence the decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon Sommer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
There's no specific rule, but if some of the other discard information is meant to be consistent, then I would say you can't look at them. The FAQ that focuses on secrecy says that only the top card of a discard pile is open information. Other than that, you can't count cards or go back to see what you've already been through (old Crises or Quorum cards).

We've always played that you can't look at anything that has made it into the box. (successful food rationing, speeches, and destroyed ships). Honestly, it's never really mattered that much. Just remember that the average population on a civilian ship is 1. Two blanks out of twelve tokens with two that have double population. There is twelve population total on all the ship tokens. Morale and fuel are the only other things you can lose from ships and players tend to remember when that happens.

If you know you need only 3 pop to live and have lost one blank ship to raiders earlier, you know if you leave with five ships, you'll live. Using the communications location in the last part of the game can also assure players that they have the right resources to leave.

pg 24-25 in the original rulebook mentions that a destroyed civilian ship is removed from the game and is placed in the box, never to be 'used' again. Still up to the players as to what that means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That usermade, super long thread/FAQ says Corey is sourced with saying that players may look through the destroyed pile of civvy ships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls