Phil Nicholls
United Kingdom
Sheffield
S Yorks
flag msg tools
Microbadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Hi,

Played our first game with the new rules last night. I managed to totally fail in helping the humans to win (as a merciful Brother Cavil ). some questions came up in our playing of it. We think it's really more a case of clarifying if we were playing correctly.

1) When the NC phase triggers, are characters in the brig moved to "resistance hq" or "detention"? (we assume resistance hq).

2) If a cylon leader is infiltrating when the NC phase triggers, is he treated as a human player and moved to "resistance hq" and thus can take human actions? (we assume yes)

3) If a cylon leader isn't infiltrating, then the only way he can start to infiltarte on NC, is to wait for the Galactica to return, move to the human fleet location, and then infiltrate as an action (moving to a galactica location)? (we assume yes)

4) If the "brigging cylon" reveals whilst on NC, then: a) if galactica is out of orbit, can she send any character on NC to "detention" and b) if galactica is in orbit, can she only send characters on galactica to the brig? (a- we assume no, b- we assume yes)

Hope someone out there can help us with this!

Cheers

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Panzer Grenadier fanMicrobadge: ATS Basic Game II: Streets of Stalingrad fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!

1) Yes.According to the "New Caprica setup" section on page 13, all humans are moved to the Resistance HQ. Their previous location doesn't matter

2) yes.An infiltrating Cylon leader is treated just like a human. See the "Cylon and human players" section on page 7

3) Yes. Characters ( human or cylon ) can only move to New Caprica locations until Galactica returns. See "moving During the New Caprica phase" on page 13

4a) Yes. See "New caprica locations" on page 14
"Any effect that would send a character on NC to the brig sends them to "Detention" instead"

4b) Characters on Galactica or Pegasus are send to the Brig. Characters on NC are sent to Detention. See above

I recommend you get the latest FAQ from FFG's support page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicholls
United Kingdom
Sheffield
S Yorks
flag msg tools
Microbadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Hi -

Thanks for taking the time to offer me the clarifications. I've also checked the latest FAQ. I'm not sure I agree with you on the brigging cylon point though!

Ref page 14 of the rulebook, and the brigging cylon -

It's not the 'brig == detention' rule that is in question. It's the valid targeting of other characters. The brigging cylon's text reads [paraphrased] "send any character on Galactica to the brig"

When NC is in play, and Galactica is out of orbit, there will be no characters on Galactica to target (whether or not they go to detention).

So,I guess the question is, does the brigging cylon become:
"Send any character on NC to Detention OR Send any character on Galactica to the Brig"

(As far as we can tell, the brigging cylon cannot target characters in Space(on vipers), Colonial One or Pegasus). The Arrest Order is different - it doesn't have targetting restrictions.

Cheers
Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-STMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
This is one of the few cases that I feel the wording is slightly outdated in the core set. For all intents and purposes, the Detention is treated as the brig while on new caprica. Revealing and brigging would send them to Detention if the target were standing on New Caprica, and send them to the Brig if target were standing on Galactica or Pegasus.

Consider that when Galactica leaves New Caprica, all humans left behind are executed. It is in the cylon's interest to place humans into detention. Also consider that it makes no sense that activating a brigging action forces a player between the two boards (although brigging a pegasus player DOES force them to the galactica brig). Also, if you've managed to stay hidden until the 11th hour, kudos on being a really great cylon or having really gullible humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Wikipedia userMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: If I don't know, I Google itMicrobadge: I speak Belgian
I think the cylon will have no legal targets if everyone is on NC, so no-one gets brigged.
Just like it could happen in the base game with 2 pilots in space and 2 politicians in colonial one. If the only player on galactica was the cylon with that reveal power, no-one got brigged either.
I don't see why you have to make an exception for NC.
The cylon should either reveal before the NC phase, or after galactica returned to orbit, or loose his reveal power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicholls
United Kingdom
Sheffield
S Yorks
flag msg tools
bungeeboy wrote:
Also, if you've managed to stay hidden until the 11th hour, kudos on being a really great cylon or having really gullible humans.
.. or we all just wanted to see what NC was like. If he's revealed ealrier the humans wouldn't have got that far :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Panzer Grenadier fanMicrobadge: ATS Basic Game II: Streets of Stalingrad fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
vampyrefate wrote:
Hi -

Thanks for taking the time to offer me the clarifications. I've also checked the latest FAQ. I'm not sure I agree with you on the brigging cylon point though!

Ref page 14 of the rulebook, and the brigging cylon -

It's not the 'brig == detention' rule that is in question. It's the valid targeting of other characters. The brigging cylon's text reads [paraphrased] "send any character on Galactica to the brig"

When NC is in play, and Galactica is out of orbit, there will be no characters on Galactica to target (whether or not they go to detention).

So,I guess the question is, does the brigging cylon become:
"Send any character on NC to Detention OR Send any character on Galactica to the Brig"

(As far as we can tell, the brigging cylon cannot target characters in Space(on vipers), Colonial One or Pegasus). The Arrest Order is different - it doesn't have targetting restrictions.

Cheers
Phil
I see what you mean. Perhaps we are now playing the game "Guess the designers intention" ? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-STMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
For the "brig" cylon, #6, we never played it literally. We always let the cylon player choose any player. Same for Sharon's cylon card (send to sickbay).
Have we been breaking the rules? If so, this is probably one deviation we shall keep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicholls
United Kingdom
Sheffield
S Yorks
flag msg tools
Lindgaard wrote:

I see what you mean. Perhaps we are now playing the game "Guess the designers intention" ? laugh
To be honest, I think that as long as the card is played consistently, then it doesn't really matter too much. The last time the designer answered a question I asked him, he ruled the spirit of the rule over the letter of the rule; I suspect that it would be the same in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Landon Sommer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Simply put, if it says "on Galactica" it's not really usable on New Caprica. This would make sense since Aaron Doral's card can't be used (can be flipped, just no 'benefit') while Galactica is away. The game seems to favor all the Cylons revealing themselves before NC, unless of course, they are in a position of power (or think they can be, Ellen...). Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Nicholls
United Kingdom
Sheffield
S Yorks
flag msg tools
I've now had a mail from Corey.

The Brigging Cylon can only target characters on Galactica and not anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bungeeboy wrote:
For the "brig" cylon, #6, we never played it literally. We always let the cylon player choose any player. Same for Sharon's cylon card (send to sickbay).
Have we been breaking the rules? If so, this is probably one deviation we shall keep.
You were playing that incorrectly. If you wish to go with that tweak, just be sure to mention it to everyone before the game starts. Otherwise, those who know the game may try to stay off Galactica in hopes of avoiding that penalty.

It made a significant difference in one of my games (base game). Cylon sent a pilot in space to Sickbay. This was bad b/c he

1) + an unmanned viper were the only ibes covering 5 civvy ships. With him gone, the raiders mopped them up swiftly

2) he lost several EM cards in his hand. Those could've been used to force the raiders to reroll.

3) lost net effect of 5 more cards (we weren't able to XO him out). Those piloting cards could've helped with more EMs and skill checks, of which they did occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls