United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody. I would like to hear from all you BGG wargamers out there who consider yourself Grognards. There are lots of wargamers here but I would imagine that many of them are not Grognards and do not consider them selves as such. By the original definition of Grognard as it applies to wargamming many of you Grognards out there would not be included ( I forget exactly who came up with the original definition and the exact particulars but I'm sure one of you can enlighten us!). As far as I'm concerned if you say you are one you are (although my buddies and I will be checking out your profiles! ). I'm just trying to get a feel for how many self proclaimed Grognards there are here. If you want to give us a little background that would be nice!
Myself I started hex and counter wargamming in 1966. I took a hiatus from around 1993 till Jan. 2008. BGG brought me back into the fold! I will give away GG to buy Grognard microbadges to one or two of the respondents ( purely on my whim).
Welcome Grognards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me as a grognard, but without the pedigree of you older grogs. I have been a grog for about 1.5 years, before that I was still finding my niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuously since the spring of 1974--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mbmb
My first wargame was Yom Kippur. I saw it in Games Magazine and asked for it for Christmas. Right now I don't get to play as many wargames as I would like, but hopefully if I can find a job that will change. Definitely not as grognard-y as some, though I like to think I kind of qualify. I did run the Wargamers' Secret Santa last year and intend to run it again this year (might count for something).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dabbled in wargames in high school, playing some Squad Leader, microgames, and early Star Fleet Battles, but didn't start seriously playing wargames until the early '90's. I consider myself grognardish because I prefer to play old school hex & counter games, including ASL and other monsters. Oh and I already bought the badge, so I must be a grog, right? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More or less continuously since 1974 also. First wargame was Barbarossa: The Russo-German War 1941-45. Greatest interest in WWII, with ACW next.

Now playing Fallschirmjaeger, Pursuit of Glory, and The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* Started wargaming at age 10 (AH's Waterloo) back in the early 1970's.

* Played AH's Third Reich at age 12 (botched it up pretty badly first few times through!). Now own my third copy of the game (the others being traded away).

* Participated in the AH-SPI wars as an AH proponent, though I was known to play the occasional S&T magazine game back when SPI owned it.

* Designed a wargame at age 14 with a buddy depicting the Lebanese Civil War (it sucked - the game that is, though the war sucked too).

* Created homemade strategic game for Star Fleet Battles and played entire campaigns with multiple ships.

* Own over 100 hex-and-counter and CDG wargames, and have actually played over half of them at least once, and a number of them numerous times.

* Destroyed planet Earth at least twice via nuclear exchange while playing VG's "Nato".

* Just finished clipping counters for a combined set of six (6) copies of Panzerblitz/Panzer Leader, and creating a binder to store every published scenario for the two games.

All of this may or may not qualify me as a grog, but I am at least certifiably nuts when it comes to wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Weitz
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, I like helmets...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd accept that title. Though I'm primarily an Ancients man,I move my cardboard phalanxes over hexes and dig on the CRT. Thinking about it...what would we do without the hex? And don't give me any of that "offset squares" crap...

Good Gaming~! Mick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
WHAT DO WE WANT?
badge
When do we want it"
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider myself a Grognard as I have been gaming since 1984 with games like Panzerblitz, Squad Leader, Air Force and so on. Every so often I burn out a little and don't play anything for about a year and then I get the bug and get started again. I don't play the classics much anymore but when I do it is definately hex and counter (I don't care for area movement).

So yeah, I think I am a grognard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I need more TIME
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled into a FLGS for the first time in 1974 at the age of 14. Came out carrying the 1974 edition of AH's Stalingrad and never regretted it. Dunnigan's Jutland followed soon after, then Midway, and I was hooked.

It wasn't hard to persuade my school friend to invest in The Game of France, 1940: German Blitzkrieg in the West and Luftwaffe. Man we had a blast.

By the end of High School I was playing PanzerBlitz and the classic Wooden Ships & Iron Men. But by far the most time went into Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.

Like Don Pawley I still cherish my copy of Stalingrad 74.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started in 1977 with AH's War at Sea (second edition). Graduated to PanzerBlitz a few months later and Squad Leader shortly after that. The rest is history. I currently have Europe Engulfed out on the table so see if it is truly soloable or not. Am I a grognard? Sure, though I don't limit myself just to wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargaming since at least 1975. I'm a grognard. I already have the microbadge so it must be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wargamer for 25 years, now preparing to pass the torch onto my grandson - we played Men Of Iron today. Grognard credentials - I taught myself ASL from scratch - no starter kits in those days !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started in the late Eighties. So I don't know if that counts.

I have to admit that my current gaming habits might cause me to forfeit my grognard membesrhip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who supports a less inclusive definition of "grognard" is probably a grognard.

I also wrote some C&C rules for Panzerblitz.

So those two things probably qualify me as a grognard.

Not that that's necessarily a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not one yet, but you guys are working me that way, I do however have games and look forward to getting them on the table in the next few weeks to start playing solo.

I look forward to be entered into your ranks, but I am not there yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a wargamer since 1976. It was 6th grade and 'santa' brought 1776 for Christmas! My dad did not think it was grat after looking at the rules....he basicly played Risk so his rules absorbtion was not high!. From there my interst was sparked and I was a heavy war game player thru 1991 when the arrival of kids began to take time away from gaming. I got back into it heavily in 1998 and have been happily gaming every since! I play more solo games since most of my gaming friends have moved away.

Clipping counters has been a new found fun thing to do with all my games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Started with Blitzkrieg in 1973, played a heap of different games until I played Advanced Squad Leader in 1985 and I knew I'd found my home. Took a post-university haitus after my opponents moved away, but I've been back at it for a few years now, and I have never played a game like it for sheer nail-biting tension and excitement.

I still get a twinge every time I think about the Guards Armoured in the Great Koufax Desert, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
35+ years in the wargame hobby...

...don't consider myself to be a Grognard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamer since the late '70's. Started with sci-fi and fantasy games, then have moved into historical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out with PanzerBlitz and Diplomacy in the '80s, got into Squad Leader and expansions, then ASL, but then set it all aside after going to college. I've recently blossomed again, mostly due to BGG, and I find myself buying up seemingly all of GMT and MMP stock.
I have a young family, so not a lot of time for f2f gaming - at least until my little grogs grow up - so most of my grognard expression comes out in PBEM games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm a lapsed Grognard - I know I (or more likely my parents!) bought Kursk: Operation Zitadelle, 4 July 1943 new off the shelf, I've struggled through Advanced Squad Leader, enjoyed most of the Command magazine games (I even had a trans-Atlantic subscription!) and a load of S&T, hell I even buy Perry Moore PnP games!

It has to be said, though, these days I'm playing and buying more rules-light, fast-play games. shake I now moan about 1/2" counters and a lack of decent contrast in counter & map colours. cool I just traded away the last of my unsold ASL modules for Field Commander: Alexander (I kept the ASL rulebook for reference though!), and the last three boardgames I played were Origins: How We Became Human, Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game and Munchkin Quest! surprise

In my defence, however, I am reading the rules to Valor & Victory & First Strike, and preparing minis for Heavy Gear Blitz! Locked & Loaded & Hunters in the Sky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
engdy wrote:
I started out with PanzerBlitz and Diplomacy in the '80s, got into Squad Leader and expansions, then ASL, but then set it all aside after going to college. I've recently blossomed again, mostly due to BGG, and I find myself buying up seemingly all of GMT and MMP stock.
I have a young family, so not a lot of time for f2f gaming - at least until my little grogs grow up - so most of my grognard expression comes out in PBEM games.

Sure, since 1979. Been working at it for 30 years now. Still getting by butt kicked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have been playing wargames since the mid 1970's and still going strong.

I sided with AH over SPI during the far, far away times, but I think that was more due to accessibility rather than any real snobbery.

My first love was Terrible Swift Sword. Well, maybe not my FIRST love....

I am also one of those dreamy types that will drive along in a car, look over the passing countryside and think "That hill would make a great position for a battery of guns. It would dominate that valley for miles...".

There are little stashes of games/rules in select, seemingly random places throughout the house. All within easy access despite whatever room I find myself in.

Mention a game in my collection and I can tell you exactly where it is located. Pretty much so anyway (I am getting older you know). Applies to books too, but I suppose that is off topic.

To this day I still get the warm fuzzies when taking the shrink wrap off a newly purchased game and then slowly opening the box.

Callused fingers from counter punching and proud of it!

PS - And I still haven't a clue as to what I am doing during a game...but I am having fun trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Grog since 1972. Going there stretches the memory somewhat, but in 1977 Squad Leader was the "in thing" for this wargamer... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.