H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Emerson, Lake & PalmerMicrobadge: Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds fanMicrobadge: Prog Rock fanMicrobadge: Yes fanMicrobadge: Dream Theater fan
I would think that this is a very rare occurrence, and it could potentially apply to the base game (although I've never seen a case where it would be important).

Many crisis cards have multiple effects and the question is is there a particular order in which you activate them? I would guess in almost all circumstances it does not matter, but this one did nearly arise in a game last night.

The Crisis was Code Blue, which has a skill check with a fail result "-1 morale and the current player is sent to the Brig". In this case do you lose the morale first or second or is it current player's choice? The reason that it was important in this one very specific (unique?) case is that morale was at 3 and the current player was Dee, so the morale loss would cause her to be executed. If morale loss happened first you would do the execution, then a new character would be placed (assuming Dee was human), who would go straight to the brig. If the brigging takes place first, Dee goes to the brig, is then executed and the new character is free when placed.

As it turned out, the problem did not arise as there is a choice on the card and Dee chose not to attempt the check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Wikipedia userMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: If I don't know, I Google itMicrobadge: I speak Belgian
I would applicate the effects of the card in the order they are on the card. This is what makes most sence to me.

The other option is that the current player would be the one who chooses (a rule often used in this game), but up until now, the current player only got to choose when there was nothing else indication an order, for example: who gets to play his interrupt when two players want to play the same interrupt, or 4 heavy raiders have to be placed, but only two are in the reserves so the current player chooses where. For both of these examples, there is no order in the rules or on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
I would apply them in the order listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Stratton
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't think that it makes any difference in this situation because I believe that once a character is executed they become a new player. Meaning that even if you did the lose of moral first, executed Dee, then you can't send that player to the brig because shes DEAD! Maybe it doesn't make the most sense clearly in the rules but certainly makes the most sense in the story of the game. Just my take on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-STMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
The answer is likely based on both evidence and conjecture (unfortunately).

The only time the core rules specifies order for a crisi card is page 22, under cylon attack cards. It lists that if there are multiple cylon ship icons, you activate and resolve in order from left to right.
Now, the question is whether or not this implies that this is how you deal with all crisis cards. There are two ways to look at it:
1) Since the closest answer in the rules is to activate effects left to right, yes, you should perform and resolve each effect left to right.
2) Languagewise, the word AND links both together. Thus, -1 morale AND current player is sent to brig, means both occur, and are resolved, at the same time.

In example 2, Dee would find herself in the brig at the exact same time morale hits 2. She would be executed, and follow the rules.
Obviously, the word AND doesn't matter sometimes, like if humans fail at Inbound nukes (-1 fuel, -1 food and -1 population; you'd just lose them, order irrelevant).

Consider another intersting example: Morale is at 3. Cylon super crisis Fleet Mobilization. If humans fail, the result is "-1 morale and (activate: basestars fire, raiders, heavy raiders, basestars launch raiders)."
A) If order is relevant, -1 morale would cause Dee to be executed and she would lose her hand. Then cylon fleet would mobilize in left-to-right order.
B) if both occur at the same time, one morale would be lost. Then the cylon fleet would go. This would give Dee the opportunity to play evasive manuevers cards on vipers, or strategic planning cards on cylon ships, if she had them in her hand. Then, when it's all over, she would be executed and lose the rest of her hand.

I suppose such an example only serves to heighten the importance of the question. Personally, I think that order is only relevant for cylon ship activations, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Thompson
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (third edition) fan
I would resolve all effects of the crisis text prior to resolving any abilities/effects triggered by that text. I think you need to use common sense on this one, the rules are vague at best. Determine what works for you guys and keep it consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
Microbadge: Caffeine loverMicrobadge: This is not the microbadge you're looking forMicrobadge: Instant Human - just add coffeeMicrobadge: Steam userMicrobadge: Dark Souls II fan
We've had answers to this type of question before. The example I have in mind is this:
A fleet shows up as a crisis causing a viper to launch. Apollo uses his ability to be in that viper and take an action, this interrupts the execution of the fleet card. If Apollo executive orders someone to activate FTL, then the fleet jumps immediately clearing the board of all cylon/human ships. However, after Apollo's actions is resolved you return to the crisis card at the point you left off (in this case after the viper activation). The last being important if there is a lingering `special effect' of the fleet crisis.

This is essentially the same situation as a crisis which causes Dee to be executed by loss of Morale and should probably be ruled the same way. Dee's negative ability triggers immediately upon Morale hitting 2, interrupting whatever else might be going on at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Emerson, Lake & PalmerMicrobadge: Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds fanMicrobadge: Prog Rock fanMicrobadge: Yes fanMicrobadge: Dream Theater fan
I have this from Corey

Quote:
The results are always resolved in the order in which they are written.

I hope this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka
Lead Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls