Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Stucker
United States
Robinson
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy all. I will be in Chicago for a few days and was wondering if there are any good game stores in Chicago. I'm sure there are, I am just looking for recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bushchicken
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Sounded like a good idea at the time
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in Chicago for a few days. I recommend Games Plus if you're anywhere near O'Hare. They've got a good selection of Euros, miniatures, RPGs, etc. Seems like a very active crowd gaming in the back room every time I go. They also have fairly good prices on a few items.

110 W. Prospect Ave.
Mount Prospect, IL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Plus has by far the best selection (for all gaming genres) in the area, but it's far out from the city center. It's also a pretty stereotypical gamer's joint - more of a place to go for focused shopping or playing with a dedicated group than just for hanging out or playing a quick pickup game.

Cat and Mouse is pretty much the opposite of Games Plus. They have a smaller (though still respectable) selection, primarily focused on board games - no minis beyond Heroscape and only basic D&D books. The shop is nicely decorated and has central tables where you can play a variety of demo games and where occasional events are held. The staff is very helpful and personable - non-gamers would describe them as "normal". It's the only games store my wife will set foot in. They're also centrally located, at Damen and Armitage in Bucktown.

Games Plus's selection is unbeatable and it's a fun place to browse if you're looking to spend a quiet hour searching the shelves. Cat and Mouse is much superior if you want to play a quick game or chit-chat.

There are also two other stores nearby. Black Sun Games is focused much more on minis and RPG's - their board game selection isn't worth making a trip for. Black Sun is also somewhat awkwardly located on the Northwest side, about a mile from the nearest train station and with not much else of interest (other than my house!) in the area. Finally, there's Chicagoland Games, which I've heard good things about but have yet to visit. It's a ways up on the North Side, a bit of trip if you're coming from downtown. But it's easily accessible via the Red Line if you don't mind the train ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat & Mouse
2212 W. Armitage
Chicago, IL 60647
www.cat-n-mouse.com

Chicagoland Games
1207 W. Bryn Mawr Ave
Chicago, IL 60660

Black Sun Games
5426 N. Kedzie
Chicago, IL 60625
www.blacksungameschicago.com

Games Plus
101 W. Prospect
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
www.games-plus.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nell
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicagoland Games website is:

http://www.chicagolandgames.com/

And I'd recommend them if you can't make it to Games Plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you asked for a game store so if you are interested primarily in boardgames only and want to stay in the Chicago city proper it is Cat-n-Mouse hands down. They have gaming on Tuesdays and Friday nights with a fairly large library.

Black Sun has plenty of boardgames but it is not their only focus (where at Cat-n-Mouse boardgames are their major focus). If you like "game" stores where they sell magic cards, collectible minis, RPGs, minis, and wargames as well as boardgames Black Sun is the place to be. It is not that hard to get there, with the brown line just down the street of Foster. It is a few blocks to walk but that is Chicago. You can always take a cab too. If you are driving there is free parking something you won't find in many parts of Chicago.

Games Plus is fine and at 8:45am on a Saturday I can get there from downtown in 20 minutes by car (speeding of course). In the afternoon, it has taken me as long as two hours in traffic and that was in good weather. Not worth my time and the train to there has odd hours coming from Chicago, that is unless you are catching the train from downtown.

Games Plus has a great collection of games but like I said it can be a drag to navigate to the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to visit both Chicagoland Games and Cat and Mouse while visiting Chicago this summer. They are both great board game stores with knowledgeable staff and opportunities to try many games on for size. Both are clean and well kept. I would say that Chicagoland has a bit deeper selection for grown up gamers while Cat and Mouse has one of the larger collection of kid games (lots of Haba) that I have seen at any store.

Either one is worth a visit.

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Stucker
United States
Robinson
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the feedback. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls