Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Sea [+] VidRev [+] STEAD [+] [View All]
Joe Steadman
United States
Appling
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: I love sexy bootsMicrobadge: Wargamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: OCTGN playerMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fanMicrobadge: Napoleonic 20 fan - FrenchMicrobadge: Baruch Spinoza
** PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT **

Here lain criticism of the above review, which in the interest of not getting into a pointless flame war has been removed and GeekMailed to the author directly, which it perhaps should have been to begin with.

I leave the reply to the criticism of my criticism intact so that posterity may ponder the value theory and epistemological issues showcased therein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Proud BearMicrobadge: LGBTQ ally
onze wrote:
I don't want to sound harsh, but since games are fair targets of criticism, why not reviews?
Because people PAY for games! They wanna know if they should spend their money. Reviews on this site, however, are freely given. People (including you and I) are NOT paying for these reviews. I'm getting quite tired of people being so critical about little details in other's posts. Everyone seems to wanna find fault in other's reviews lately even though they are all really just opinions freely given. I actually found this one kind of informative. Maybe not perfect, but what do I care? I didn't have to pay for it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: OCTGN playerMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fanMicrobadge: Napoleonic 20 fan - FrenchMicrobadge: Baruch Spinoza
Quote:
Reviews on this site, however, are freely given.
So is my advice. Joe's welcome to wipe himself with it, and so are you.

I really don't subscribe, however, to the argument that because things are free anything goes. A free game, for instance, could be shite, and by your argument I shouldn't write a review that says that it is. Which amounts to saying that I shouldn't review it at all. Which is clearly ludicrous.

Oh, and while we're at it, "not being useful" is not a "little detail", and you have no clue whatsoever whether I "wanna find fault in other's reviews"; unless, of course, by "everyone" and "people" you were not specifically targeting me but generally wailing about, in which case, hey, people are people.

Best,
J.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Switzerland
Zug
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
Microbadge: Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War fanMicrobadge: Grand Tactical Series FanMicrobadge: Napoleon's Triumph fanMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: No Peace Without Spain! fan
welcome to the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Space Crusade fanMicrobadge: Full Métal Planète fanMicrobadge: Chainsaw Warrior fanMicrobadge: Quality over quantity: I don't care for poster levels!Microbadge: Copper Reviewer
For what it's worth, as an owner/player of many many games (from hard core wargames, to Euros to card games), I TOTALLY agree with the criticisms of the Rules/Rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
smithnewz wrote:
For what it's worth, as an owner/player of many many games (from hard core wargames, to Euros to card games), I TOTALLY agree with the criticisms of the Rules/Rulebook.
You won't get any argument from me. The principal failing of the rulebook, in my opinion, is that a lot of the flow of play transpires based on what's on the cards.

The game really is very simple and the rules should reflect that.

I did not like this review however. I have no qualms about somebody not liking a game, nor in writing a negative review. However, at the heart of any good review, especially a video review is showing how the game is played, and Joe didn't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Appling
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: US ArmyMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: I love sexy bootsMicrobadge: Wargamer
Does everyone remember that I was not the only one on this review? I seem to recall Tom being on this video as well? Or did those with the "feedback" bother to watch the complete review? Makes me wonder. Funny criticizing a review for not being complete when I would guess some of you didn't even complete the review!

The game is so simplistic what is there to show? I play my best card, I try to take your ships... etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
I did watch the complete review, and my feedback was a little more precise than simply stating that it wasn't "complete".

But, whatever, if you're happy with what you're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
JoeSteadman wrote:
Does everyone remember that I was not the only one on this review? I seem to recall Tom being on this video as well? Or did those with the "feedback" bother to watch the complete review? Makes me wonder. Funny criticizing a review for not being complete when I would guess some of you didn't even complete the review!

The game is so simplistic what is there to show? I play my best card, I try to take your ships... etc...
Yet, neither you (nor Tom) put a sample starting layout on the table for the camera to see how to play, you didn't show a sample round, etc.

As for your implication - yes, I did watch the bit with Tom. He didn't show the game either, but at least I had more insight about the game than I got from the first half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I have a Game RoomMicrobadge: LisboaCON 2009 participantMicrobadge: Grupo de Boardgamers de Lisboa memberMicrobadge: abreojogo.com fanMicrobadge: Golden Image Uploader
i would have liked to see some demo gameplay. But was nice to see something about the game, thanks for your work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Alexander the Great enthusiast

I remember complaining about the video before this one ,.another war game....sorry cannot recall the game since there was little else shown except the contents in the box.

It is a pity that showing how to open a box and the contents does nothing for a review of a game. At least show a layout and a few examples....with a steady camcorder.

As for TKPs, yes mention was made about the game's simplicity and the awful rule book. If the game is so simple, it is not too much to ask to see more than the contents of the box !

I have to agree that even though the "review" videos are free, some of them tell us very little except, again, the contents and the awful rule book. That is not enough for me to go out and buy the game. More information is required by reviewers, particulary those on video.

I watch Tom's videos and he seems to be heading your way, Joe. Alas, a wobbly camcorder showing bits and pieces does nothing more than make me seasick

Honesty is the best policy and if it misinterpreted as severe criticism, so be it.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
Microbadge: Golden ReviewerMicrobadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial FundMicrobadge: Fan of Games Dripping with ThemeMicrobadge: The Dice Tower Gaming Awards fan
Thanks for all the comments guys! I had watched Joe's half of the review a couple of weeks ago, and I thought he had covered the rules, so I didn't mention them. My apologies! I'll add an addendum later on with a quick example of how the game plays.

As for wobbly camera - have I gotten worse with that? I thought that I was smoothing it out some. Watch my more recent reviews, and let me know.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Alexander the Great enthusiast

That is great to hear, Tom.

Looking forward to your addendum.

Regards.