Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Werner
United States
Braidwood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
Alright, this came up last night as we played pegasus. We were at 6 distance, and legendary discovery came up, by passing the skill check it simply adds one distance traveled. That would have brought us to 7 and started the New Caprica Phase. Here's our dilemma, what do we do with the vipers that happened to be around galactica, the rules are pretty clear about cylon ships and civilian ships, cylon ships stay, civilian ships are sent to New Caprica, but would the vipers also stay on the board or would they return to the reserves? The rules talks about the cylon ships and civilian ships as if they are placed as the result of the destination card chosen, which means that vipers aren't discussed.

It also came up in the discussion whether or not new caprica can be reached with Legendary discovery, I see nowhere this would be prohibited as the condition for New Caprica is 7 or more distance, not at all like winning the base game, which was 8 or more distance and then one final jump. But do you have to JUMP to 7 or can you really just coast to 7 with legendary discovery?

In our case it didn't really matter, there was just one viper near each of the doors to Galactica, but I could see plenty of cases where it would matter, and it could go either way... thematically, galactica leaves, the vipers would return to the hanger and when Galactica returns it finds itself surrounded by cylons. Or mechanically, everything but civilian ships just stays put as if its on pause. We would have ended up playing that the vipers would return to the hanger, but a hidden cylon boomer decided to fail the check.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Emerson, Lake & PalmerMicrobadge: Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds fanMicrobadge: Prog Rock fanMicrobadge: Yes fanMicrobadge: Dream Theater fan
The rules state

Quote:
Main Game Board: Leave any centurion tokens on the
Boarding Party track in their current position, as well as
any Cylon ships placed in a space area by the Destination
Card. These will remain in place and are unaffected by any
game mechanic until Galactica returns to orbit.
I would infer from this that anything not mentioned is removed. So all ships (Cylon and Human) except cylon ships placed by the destination card are removed.

In this case there is no destination card that could conceivably place cylon ships so everything except boarded centurions are removed from the main board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Werner
United States
Braidwood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
I see your point, but that text also infers that a jump took place to draw a destination card, clearing the board anyway. I would think that the rule book would specifically state if you were supposed to do something extremely out of the ordinary like that... you don't clear everything off with legendary discovery normally, but you would normally place the cylon ships and civilian ships if a destination card places them... I take the text to basically mean you cannot get away free and clear just because its New Caprica phase, and it also hammers in the point that ALL undestroyed civilian ships go to New Caprica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Emerson, Lake & PalmerMicrobadge: Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds fanMicrobadge: Prog Rock fanMicrobadge: Yes fanMicrobadge: Dream Theater fan
The rules tell you what to do when the New Caprica phase starts, if all the ships were to be left in place, then there would be no need to specifically mention the ships placed by a destination card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Microbadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - Criminals Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-STMicrobadge: Blood Bowl fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
All the rules say is "Leave any centurion tokens on the Boarding Party track in their current position, as well as any Cylon ships placed in a space area by the destination card."
This obviously assumes that you reached 7 distance from a jump. To translate the rule, it is saying "Leave all ships in place." Thus, I think it would be reasonable to say that if 7 is reached by Legendary Discovery, you should leave all ships where they are.
Civilian ships will still be pulled off of the board and placed on the Locked Civilian Ships space, as per instructions.
I would say, though, that any viper being piloted by a character should be returned to the reserve when the character goes to New Caprica.

When galactica returns to orbit, put cylon ships and vipers into play as per pegasus rules page 17. Observe component limitation as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Space Hulk fanMicrobadge: Gaming since 1961Microbadge: Defenders of the Realm fanMicrobadge: Wargamer of 50+ years
Quote:
It also came up in the discussion whether or not new caprica can be reached with Legendary discovery, I see nowhere this would be prohibited as the condition for New Caprica is 7 or more distance, not at all like winning the base game, which was 8 or more distance and then one final jump. But do you have to JUMP to 7 or can you really just coast to 7 with legendary discovery?
We ran into this problem too, but failed the skill check, so we didn't have to resolve the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls