Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject line describes the premise of Patton in Flames, which is a both a sister game and an expansion to the venerable global World War II monster game, World in Flames.

Patton offers two scenarios for those who want to make the Cold War hot (and pre-empt Twilight Struggle ). One scenario begins in March 1945 (thru 1948), between the Democratic Powers (US, CW, France, Nationalist China) and the Communist Powers (USSR, Mao's forces in China, and Japan). Italy has already surrendered. Germany is on its last legs, all of its erstwhile allies but Hungary are conquered or have switched sides. Japan is beginning to crumble under the tide of green (US Navy).

This is an interesting scenario. The Germans are NOT played separately; instead the DP player controls the units in eastern Germany/Poland/Balkans (i.e., the ones facing the Soviets), and the Germans in the west (Low Countries, Norway, western Germany etc) are run by the CP player. Intriguingly, German units can when attacked choose to defect, returning to the map later. Naturally, they are much more likely to defect to the US and to a lesser extent, CW than to the feared Soviets or despised French (who may be in no mood to take prisoners after four years of occupation)...

Even before Berlin has fallen, the Soviets and Western Allies can come to blows. The Japanese of course are not Communist, but are on the same side for game purposes since they have common enemies. And the Americans are well along in their research for the atomic bomb...

The other scenario is in 1948-53. Europe is divided by the Iron Curtain. The Soviets decide to launch an invasion to unify the Continent under their benevolent rule. The Allies must scramble to put up defenses and keep a toehold in Europe until the Americans can fully mobilize. Germany and Japan are conquered, but can be liberated (set up as a major power) but at a considerable cost. Meanwhile, the Communists in China are pushing the KMT hard. Both sides are working hard to influence the neutrals in the world, established nations like Brazil and Argentina, and newly independent countries like Indonesia, Egypt, Israel, Pakistan & India, North and South Korea, etc.

Patton IS a complete game. You can buy it and play it right out of the box, using the maps and counters etc that come with it. I've played the '45 scenario, and it is interesting and tense.

And Patton can be used in conjunction with WIF, adding some new late-war units to WIF.

Like WIF, Patton features army- and corps-sized units. Lots of them. You get big air forces, large navies with carriers and battleships and submarines. The maps feature plenty of hexes and you can use a good old fashioned CRT or adapt the more popular 2d10 optional system from WIF. Plenty of air battles. The Allies control the seas much more in Patton than in WIF, but still the Soviets will try to interfere with Allies shipping and reinforcements, and perhaps try a few invasions of their own.

Patton may not be for you if you don't have considerable space to set up the four big maps and the small Americas map, plus production circles and the like, nor if you lack the time to dive into a monster game. But if you want to play out classic "what if" Soviets vs Free World scenarios on a global scale, Patton in Flames will fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Oh, believe me, when it comes to maps in wargaming I always find room !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no such thing as lack of space!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review - I'll keep my eye out for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.