Erik Oosterwal
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: April Fool's Day Easter Egg Finder 2011Microbadge: Nikola Tesla - inventor of the AC motor and pioneer of electricityMicrobadge: Eclipse userMicrobadge: Old-skool C programmerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Re: 2nd NESTORGAMES game design contest.
Nestor,

How tight are the tolerences between your printing process on the acrylic an the cutting process? I have some ideas I'd like to submit but am unsure if they can be accomplished with your manufacturing processes.

Basically, the tiles would all fit on a single A4 size sheet and their shape would allow them to all fit together without any gap between. Can your processes cut the acrylic so that the printing can extend to the edges of the tiles?

Thanks,

Erik.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: San Francisco Giants fanMicrobadge: Denver Broncos fanMicrobadge: San Jose Sharks fanMicrobadge: I play with orange!Microbadge: Greater Western Sydney Giants fan
oosterwal wrote:
Nestor,

How tight are the tolerences between your printing process on the acrylic an the cutting process? I have some ideas I'd like to submit but am unsure if they can be accomplished with your manufacturing processes.

Basically, the tiles would all fit on a single A4 size sheet and their shape would allow them to all fit together without any gap between. Can your processes cut the acrylic so that the printing can extend to the edges of the tiles?

Thanks,

Erik.
Nestor mentioned that we should allow some space between tiles (2-3mm should do fine) when printed on an A4 sheet, but honestly I think he just wants to see the best set of rules and work within the guidelines that he knows using his personal experience of that manufacturing process. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't trust anyone else's A4 sheet submission...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: Adaptoid fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Ni-Ju fanMicrobadge: Arcade fan
oosterwal wrote:
Nestor,

Thanks,

Erik.
Hi, Erik.

Thank you for asking.

I can cut a "tessellated" sheet, but to do so I must tessellate it myself.

I ask for the A4 sheet just to get an idea of how the pieces are. I do the final cutting template and printing design.

And yes, tiles can be printed with bleeding. I can cut printed acrylic. No problem with the ink. If the tiles are not white-bordered it is necessary to use a 3 mm bleeding at minimum.

I hope this helps. My english is not good today ;-)

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adolfo Restrepo
Colombia
Medellin
Antioquia
flag msg tools
designer
So, is there not any way to cut the acrylic so that the printing can extend to the edges of the tiles?

No matter how, the tiles always will have as minimun a 3 mm bleeding. (between the edge and any printing on them). isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: Adaptoid fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Ni-Ju fanMicrobadge: Arcade fan
arkx wrote:
So, is there not any way to cut the acrylic so that the printing can extend to the edges of the tiles?

No matter how, the tiles always will have as minimun a 3 mm bleeding. (between the edge and any printing on them). isn't it?
Hi, Adolfo.

Yes it is. Bleeding is outside the tile (not inside), to make sure there are no blank areas on the tile.

Please take a look at my game Hippos & Crocodiles. All the tile is printed.

Néstor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
Microbadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: I play Go... badlyMicrobadge: Card playerMicrobadge: Hex fan
Your format 2 is a bit annoying, since it almost allows tile games a la mah jong or rummikub, but not quite. If you use 1cm thick tiles, they would be self-standing, but the weight limit restricts the number of tiles too much. 3mm thick tiles would be light enough, but you really cannot use them without racks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Punainen Nörtti wrote:
Your format 2 is a bit annoying, since it almost allows tile games a la mah jong or rummikub, but not quite. If you use 1cm thick tiles, they would be self-standing, but the weight limit restricts the number of tiles too much. 3mm thick tiles would be light enough, but you really cannot use them without racks.
Hi, Punainen.

A good example of Format 2 compliant is Carcassonne.

Answering your question; I can use 1cm thick acrylic, but only black or white. However, I can print it one sided.

And yes, I can use laser cut acrylic bases.

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Contest 1 has ended.

23 days to end contest 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Vogle
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Napoleonic WargamerMicrobadge: St. Louis Cardinals fanMicrobadge: Batman Comic fanMicrobadge: Dune fan
How well does text show up on the printed tiles? If i have tiles with quite a bit of text (say 10 to 15 words each), will they be readable? Is there a limit to how small the text can be?

Also, is there a maximum number of colors that can be printed onto one tile? You mention Carcassonne as an example of a valid Format 2 game... could those tiles be recreated by you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mcwookie wrote:
How well does text show up on the printed tiles? If i have tiles with quite a bit of text (say 10 to 15 words each), will they be readable? Is there a limit to how small the text can be?

Also, is there a maximum number of colors that can be printed onto one tile? You mention Carcassonne as an example of a valid Format 2 game... could those tiles be recreated by you?
Hi.

Thank you for asking.

I use a laser colour printer with 600 dpi resolution. If you can read it, I can print it. Any colour.

Yes, I can recreate Carcassonne perfectly.

Néstor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Oosterwal
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: April Fool's Day Easter Egg Finder 2011Microbadge: Nikola Tesla - inventor of the AC motor and pioneer of electricityMicrobadge: Eclipse userMicrobadge: Old-skool C programmerMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
What theme would you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I'm looking for original games.

Nëstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Oosterwal
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer

Jason and I are in the midst of play testing a new game and tweaking the rules to make it easier to play. The tile shapes are a departure from the familiar square and hex tiles found in other games and should provide a lot of fun. In fact, while play testing we've had almost as much fun just playing around with the patterns and arrangements of the tiles as with playing the game.

I've uploaded some very preliminary pictures to my photo gallery (they should be viewable shortly) to see what kind of interest they drum up.

External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) fanMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip starts here!Microbadge: International Space Station - humankind's first step towards exploring the starsMicrobadge: Mars - the red planet and next stop for humankindMicrobadge: The multiverse!  Fan of theoretical physics I don't understand
That does look cool. I've been working on a game design using round cards just because Artscow offers them, heh, and it is mesmerizing looking at them sometimes (not that yours are round, but the patterns are somewhat similar).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Oosterwal
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I thought that after uploading the pictures they would have shown up in the Recent Additions page, but I didn't see them there.

Here's a link to my image gallery with more photos of a sample game (still play testing.) When uploading, the images got shuffled out of order but I think you can probably figure out the progrssion of the game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/194071
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: San Francisco Giants fanMicrobadge: Denver Broncos fanMicrobadge: San Jose Sharks fanMicrobadge: I play with orange!Microbadge: Greater Western Sydney Giants fan
You should call it "Trilithium."
Like dilithium from Star Trek, only with triangles instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You're all going to love the next contest. Starting Nov 1.

Yes, a new format.

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
10 days.

Please remember that it takes time for the admins to approve file submissions!

Néstor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
5 days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Last day!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Tai Chi fanMicrobadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Book readerMicrobadge: I play with green!
Good luck to all!
Sadly, I didn't have time to put something together for this competition. See y'all in competition 3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Re: 2nd NESTORGAMES game design contest. Voting open!!
Edited:

Voting open!

Here are the finalists:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/48040

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Re: 2nd NESTORGAMES game design contest. Voting open!! Win a copy!
2 days to end the voting!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Last day!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Voting is now closed. Thank you very much to everybody! This has been a great experience. Now time to choose the winner and the geekuser that will receive a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |