Subject: Singapore Stopover -shops/clubs in Singapore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good evening

I'll be stopping in Singapore over Grand Prix weekend (26th-28th) on my way home from Hanoi.

Can anyone suggest some good places to shop for games? (Not sure what prices are like but I imagine they might be cheaper than NZ)

Also are there any local game clubs which have a meeting on this weekend? It would be nice to meet some gamers whilst away from home.

Happy gaming

Alistair

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

There is a FLGS called Paradigm Infinitum that has quite a wide selection of games: www.pi.com.sg It's in a shopping mall called Orchard Emerald, which is directly opposite the exit of Somerset MRT station.

If you are looking for cheap prices, our online retailers offer pretty good pricing. You might want to email them in advance to order the games:
iheartboardgames.blogspot.com
www.boardgamelifestyle.com
budgetboardgames.blogspot.com
boardgameswonderland.blogspot.com

We have a board games meetup group here: www.meetup.com/Boardgames-Singapore/

Incidentally there IS a meetup on that weekend: http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-Singapore/calendar/11177686...

Besides that, there are boardgaming cafes across the island that you can drop by:
1) Settlers Cafe (website seems down?)
2) Mind Cafe (www.themindcafe.com.sg)

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Simmonds
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came back from NZ and Australia. Most games are much cheaper in Singapore. Example, SpaceHulk in Australia is 165 AUS. Just to point out one game...... But there are the gems that you find in different countries....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ethan and Mike

I might try and pop into one of the mind cafes the concept sounds really interesting (something I've tried to look into here in NZ but thought better of it), this could be an excuse to 'research' .

Does the meet up allow walk ins? My flight is at 9 that evening so I have to get to the airport at 6 but if I have the chance I'd like to attend.

Many thanks

Alistair

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can catch up with Kracken (Ken) or Phoeniix (Mark) at their Singapore gaming community then do. You 'll never meet a nicer pair of gamers than them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walk ins aren't generally an issue for meetups.

There is a Weekend Meetup on the 27th and it starts at 2pm; that could be one meetup you could attend.

http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-Singapore/calendar/11177686...

The venue is one of the branches of Settler's Cafe, so you could do your "research" into boardgame cafes at the same time as well. The location of the meetup is pretty central, in fact quite near where the Formula 1 street circuit action will be.

Near to the meetup venue, there is a metro station "City Hall MRT" from which you can catch a train to the Airport (one change required). Alternatively, you can catch a cab, though there might be road congestion due to the F1 related road closures. Both methods should not take more than 40 mins to reach the airport. Generally, if you have checked in online, you just need to be at the airport about 1.5 hrs before departure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Loh
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always preferred to host my board game sessions at home, but thats just me. Meeting new friends is always fun though, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the information. Looks like the gaming scene is alive and kicking in Singapore. I see how my schedule looks after Vietnam and hopefully I'll be able to join in the fun.

Keep gaming

Alistair

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alam Persada
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta Selatan
flag msg tools
mb
Do you guys have any store where i can see the price online?? I'm from Indonesia and my friend is there right now.. Thinking of asking him to buy me some boardgame while he's there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RagingKen wrote:
Do you guys have any store where i can see the price online?? I'm from Indonesia and my friend is there right now.. Thinking of asking him to buy me some boardgame while he's there.
You can see the prices online for all 4 online shops that I posted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really am going to have to make an effort to get to one of these place next time I'm in Singapore. One of the guys from our local group here in Auckland just got back from Singapore and said he was very impressed at the range of games and gamers there. Hopefully this September depending on were my holiday takes me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really recommend the boardgame meetups in Singapore; I attended one with around 60 people playing a whole spectrum of games - from light dexterity through to miniature wargames - and everyone was very friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asta wrote:
I really am going to have to make an effort to get to one of these place next time I'm in Singapore. One of the guys from our local group here in Auckland just got back from Singapore and said he was very impressed at the range of games and gamers there. Hopefully this September depending on were my holiday takes me.
There are now about 6 "official" meet-ups every month in Singapore, and entry's either free or at an extremely low price. And there's our very own gaming convention, SporeCon, going on in June! I'm sure you'll have a blast of time when you do come ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett R.
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used www.boardgamelifestyle.com for this year's Secret Santa and was very pleased. Great customer service and communication

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Lock
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boing123 wrote:
There are now about 6 "official" meet-ups every month in Singapore, and entry's either free or at an extremely low price. And there's our very own gaming convention, SporeCon, going on in June! I'm sure you'll have a blast of time when you do come
Hi, I'm entirely new to the board gaming scene in Singapore. Could I know where these 6 meetups are? So far I only know of the settler's cafe and iheartboardgames meetups... and what's SporeCon? It seems like the scene in SG is hotter than i thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers at North Canal Road.
Toa Payoh CC.
Kembangan CC.
Settlers at SMU.
Mind Cafe at Boat Quay.
Someplace in Queens town which I don't go to cause it's too far.

SporeCon is rumoured to be held at Pasir Ris. The extreme east end of the MRT line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
why none in the west wan.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can start one in the west!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Lock
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fast. Thanks guys Will definitely check them out when i get the chance this month.

And i agree that Pasir Ris is super far away angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hee Wei Lee
Singapore
flag msg tools
So far i think settler's is a good place for boardgaming.... what you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pamela Tan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we have My First Games - www.myfirstgames.sg - that has a focus on kids and family games. Start your kids and nephews and nieces on gaming early! Great as birthday and Christmas gifts for kids and families meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
p2me1a wrote:
Now we have My First Games - www.myfirstgames.sg - that has a focus on kids and family games. Start your kids and nephews and nieces on gaming early! Great as birthday and Christmas gifts for kids and families meeple
Looks great. I'll have to check it out if I visit Singapore in the near future. Really wanted to get there this year for the GP but moving house took up my time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
let us know! and we'll let u know when the meetups are and you can meet us local gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James H├ębert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if these guys have a storefront since the web site does not specifically say so, but their service to me overseas was terrific.

World of Boardgames at http://world-of-board-games.com.sg

The contact there is Wilson, and he was both pleasant and very communicative. His email is sales@world-of-board-games.com.sg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls