Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Netherlands

Subject: Holidays in Amsterdam, help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kimbo Mamawambo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hallo,

I will be in Amsterdam with my girlfriend from September the 30th to October the 5th and, as a "boardgame sick" as all of wewhistle, I am interested in knowing if there are shops or places where boardgamers gather or something like. I guess tourism will not allow as to play a lot, but it would be fine to play a couple of matches with new people.

Thanks a lot, and sorry for writting in English in the Dutch forum!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Whyman
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
from Game Crafter
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never mind the board games, go to the Rijksmuseum!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kimboscg wrote:

Thanks a lot, and sorry for writting in English in the Dutch forum!
?que?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Zinsmeister
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
There was a nice Games Workshop store near the city center but I do not recall seeing a boardgame shop.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valentijn Eekels
Netherlands
Gouda
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a nice boardgame shop near Amsterdam, in the beautiful city of Haarlem (15 mins with the train from Amsterdam). Actually, about 2 minutes from the station. Haarlem has this old and quiet atmosphere and really great 'hofjes' to see.

http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=spellenhuis+haarlem&ie=UTF8&hl=...

Also in Utrecht, about 30 minutes by train from Amsterdam, there are really great shops gathered all in one street.

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=d...

In Amsterdam there are a couple I know of;

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=H...

and more in the center, in a nice location:

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=g...

If you come across the game Day & Night, be sure to check if you like it ;) and have a great time!!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimbo Mamawambo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Neil Whyman wrote:
Never mind the board games, go to the Rijksmuseum!
I have bought the e-tickets to avoid queues, thanks for the hint.

Pee di Moor wrote:
?que?
¿Que de que?

Dana Zinsmeister wrote:
There was a nice Games Workshop store near the city center but I do not recall seeing a boardgame shop.
Thanks, but I have never been a fan of Games Workshop's games

Valentijn Eekels wrote:
There is a nice boardgame shop near Amsterdam, in the beautiful city of Haarlem (15 mins with the train from Amsterdam). Actually, about 2 minutes from the station. Haarlem has this old and quiet atmosphere and really great 'hofjes' to see.

http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=spellenhuis+haarlem&ie=UTF8&hl=...

Also in Utrecht, about 30 minutes by train from Amsterdam, there are really great shops gathered all in one street.

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=d...

In Amsterdam there are a couple I know of;

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=H...

and more in the center, in a nice location:

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=g...

If you come across the game Day & Night, be sure to check if you like it and have a great time!!
Special thanks to you, very complete answer.
I have not ever heard about "hofjes", but after collecting some information I think we will spend at least a day visiting Haarlem.

About your game, I have checked it, and really looks great, I am also glad to see that it is a 2p game and if I come across, it will be a part of our luggage when we return to Spain.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games are best bought in Germany! So You might visit Essen or another german city. I know the "Spiel" in Essen is not on then but there are shops.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimbo Mamawambo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the advice.

I realized about "Spiel" after buying the plane tickets, anyway we are going to Amsterdam for visit some friends, so I think Germany would had not been an option, ( besides we are students, and going to Germany is out of our budget).

By the way, buy is not our main goal, what we really want is to meet people and play with them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Kouwenhoven
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sharks with Lasers!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Although there are a lot of nice things to do at that time if you're a tourist in the Netherlands, on Saturday nights there's a gathering of gamers in Utrecht in the Joker gamestore.

It is only a 30min trainride and the store is in the center (Oude Gracht, see Google maps a few posts up)

It starts at 19:00 and finishes around 24:00, if you're late then usually all the games have already started. The people there are very friendly and a lot of different games are played (mostly euro's, Wallace is a favourite as of lately)

Sometimes there are also non Dutch speaking attendents and that has never been a problem.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One word: Abraxas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls