United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, I set up a room on the Friday of BGG.CON for our first Proto Alley. The idea was to have a room set up for raw, unpolished game prototypes that aren't really ready to be played by the regular BGG.CON crowd.

The response was ferocious! Much bigger than I expected. We went at least five tables wide for most of the event. The event was only scheduled for a few hours, but a lot of people got plays in.

So this year, I've expanded the event's hours. Proto Alley will be in the Dogwood Room on Friday, from 10 am to midnight.

Here are the three big Proto Alley ground rules. I don't think there's any need to officially enforce these rules just yet, so I think the honor system is fine for now.

1) Proto Alley is intended for raw, early-stage designs. These are games that haven't gotten much table time yet, and are problably closer to broken than publishable. Polished games can (and should) get played out in the main areas, exposed to the regular BGG.CON crowd, celebrities, and publishers. Proto Alley is for games that are too untested for the average BGG.CON attendee.

2) Only one prototype per designer, until everyone gets at least one game on the table. If you get a second game on the table before someone else gets his first game on the table, that's just plain unfair. Please be considerate and make sure every designer benefits from Proto Alley.

Now, there might be exceptions, and common sense applies here. If you have a few 15-minute trick-taking games, then it's no big deal spending 90 minutes running through a few of them. But if you have several 60- to 90-minute designs, expect to test only one of them at Proto Alley.

3) Please don't disappear immediately after you get your game tested. Proto Alley can only work if there are playtesters. If you don't stick around after your prototype is played, it becomes harder for folks who haven't had their proto played yet to test.

Again, there are going to be exceptions. You might have plans with someone, you might need to head to an event, emergencies come up, and so on. But if enough people stick with the spirit of the room and make sure they play as much as they can, it'll make the whole thing work.

---------------------------

Here are some general playtesting guidelines...

* Expect your playtest to run long. If you have a 30-minute game, count on it running 45-60 minutes. If you have a 90-minute game, count on it running 120 minutes. That's because in addition to the regular table talk, playtesters will discuss the game's design and offer suggestions. This will make the game run a little longer than you may expect.

* Don't be afraid to end the game early. If your game hasn't been playtested a lot yet, you might find yourself in a position where any further play won't get you additional data, and will be a grind for the playtesters. It's very common to end these tests prematurely, go over what went wrong with the playtesters and possible fixes, and get someone else's game out. It's not a sign that your game is "bad" at all. There is no game in your collection that worked right on its first try!

* Playtesters: be honest but polite. On one hand, the worst feedback you can give a designer is a lazy, "it was okay, I liked it." On the other hand, telling the designer that his game "sucks" is a great way to get his defenses up and tune you out.

Always start your feedback with something about the game you liked, no matter how small. Then tell the designer about what didn't work for you. If you didn't find the game fun, it's something he should know, even if it's unpleasant to discuss.

But if you're too blunt with your criticism, you lose credibility. Be polite. If you see the designer is starting to wince, pull back.

Also, try to hold your criticism back until the designer is done explaining the rules. Sometimes, something that seems like it won't work in theory works a lot better in practice. Also, it's polite.

* Designers: prepare to listen to what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. Personally, I would love it if all my playtests wound up with feedback like, "Gil, you've done it again. I don't want to do anything but play this game for the rest of my life." But it's more likely I'll hear, "Hmmm, this isn't working for me. Something's missing."

Be strong. Don't defend your ideas. Write down your playtesters' feedback. Chew on it.

Of course, you shouldn't implement all your feedback. Your game will be a mess if you do! But if you keep hearing the same criticism over and over again, it's probably because it's true.

---------------------------

If you have any ideas about Proto Alley, here's the place to post them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goadrich
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great! My wife and I'll be at BGG.CON this year and will try to stop by the Proto Alley. Thanks for organizing this, Gil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Carter

Pflugerville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could make a recommendation as someone who played a couple of the prototypes last year in proto alley.
Designers, please have a sign with abrief description of what your game is about that you can display next to it. Include the game name and maybe your name or BGG handle. This lets people who aren't currently playing your game know a bit about it and how to contact you. There were a couple of games that seemed interesting that I didn't get to play and I know absolutely NOTHING about the designers, etc. The first game (a fishing game of some sort) was already being played (and was gone when I came back) and the second (a space exploration/conquest game?) I couldn't find the designer when I was free.

Thanks for organizing this, Gil. I enjoyed playing the prototypes and highly recommend it to anyone that is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So are we supposed to reserve a table at a specific time, or is it a completely ad hoc, first come, first served, free-for-all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun.

Quote:
raw, unpolished game prototypes that aren't really ready to be played by the regular BGG.CON crowd.

Who makes that call?

In other words, who decides what is raw and what isn't raw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tcanderson71 wrote:
So are we supposed to reserve a table at a specific time, or is it a completely ad hoc, first come, first served, free-for-all?

First-come, first-served. I've done it before, and it works pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Who makes that call?

In other words, who decides what is raw and what isn't raw?

I'll leave that to the designers' judgment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jenniecide wrote:
If I could make a recommendation as someone who played a couple of the prototypes last year in proto alley.
Designers, please have a sign with abrief description of what your game is about that you can display next to it. Include the game name and maybe your name or BGG handle. This lets people who aren't currently playing your game know a bit about it and how to contact you. There were a couple of games that seemed interesting that I didn't get to play and I know absolutely NOTHING about the designers, etc. The first game (a fishing game of some sort) was already being played (and was gone when I came back) and the second (a space exploration/conquest game?) I couldn't find the designer when I was free.

Thanks for organizing this, Gil. I enjoyed playing the prototypes and highly recommend it to anyone that is interested.

This is key. You want people to be able to contact you for lots of reasons.

I am wondering if that space exlporation/conquest game was Terra Prime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
I am wondering if that space exlporation/conquest game was Terra Prime

It was not. I did run a game of Terra Prime at bGG.con last year, but not in Proto Alley. The session report geeklist talks about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Board Game Designers Guild of Utah has a great playtesting evaluation card that looks pretty concise. You can get to it via their FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nickoloff
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there with a couple of new prototypes to test out for my designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dorfman
United States
Fort Atkinson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to getting feedback on my game. Thanks for organizing this, Gil!

@okiedokie
Thanks for that tip. Here's the direct link for anyone else looking for it:
http://bgdg.awardspace.com/main/Game_Evaluation_Criteria.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to be there with a game - just saw this list after I posted here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46197/item/1071666#ite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calderwood Speer
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I will be bringing mine. Last Friday was the first playable version and now I'm busting my arse writing the manual and playtesting. No pressure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smav wrote:
I wish was able to go... you lucky, lucky bastards... shake

All it takes is a plane ticket!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my game is nowhere near raw but not ready to submit to publishers? Do I just walk round, or set up shop and look for testers?

Wade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
You grab some space in the room & let the testers come to you Any time I was in the "proto alley" last year, there were always lots of people looking for games & getting info from the designers in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be bringing my copy of Mother Road. It will only have 3 playtests prior to BGG.con

Do folks usually have stand alone rules ready or do they explain the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
I will be bringing my copy of Mother Road. It will only have 3 playtests prior to BGG.con

Do folks usually have stand alone rules ready or do they explain the game?

Depends on the designer. I usually don't write the rulebook until fairly late in the process, but other designers prefer to get the rulebook started early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be in Proto Alley with three games:

1. "Wildcat!" -- oil exploration, up to 6 players, economic, map/board, leasing, seismic, drilling. Most publication-ready of the three.

2. "Mineral Quest" -- card game for 2-5 players, draw element cards to exchange for minerals tied to your chosen role. Moderately "raw", needs more playtesting.

3. "Tektonix" -- card game for 2-4 players, build a route across earth's tectonic plates and plate boundaries. Most "raw" of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
I will be bringing my copy of Mother Road. It will only have 3 playtests prior to BGG.con ...

I'd like to give this one a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gill
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds awesome! I have a question, though - I have a prototype that is a Cash And Guns Live style game for 8 - 20 players. A few BGG's ago there was enough space in one of the ballrooms to run C&GL. Do you think it's improbable to try and run this game at BGG.CON this year? Should I just check around at midnight and see if I there is space, or can I request to reserve a part of a room during some off-peak times?

It seems like BGG.CON is the perfect time to try it, it's just logistically challenging. (The game rules are at http://www.vbasementgames.com/ag_stuff/Room_Full_Of_Zombies/... and the cards are at http://www.vbasementgames.com/ag_stuff/Room_Full_Of_Zombies/....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's for up to 20 people standing, Dogwood may not be the best place for it. The tables will get in the way, especially if we're still busy.

Perhaps you can recruit people in Proto Alley, and start the game in the hallway at 10 pm or midnight or something. I've seen folks play C&G:L in the hallway, and it's a much better fit. It also makes a great tableau for passers-by.

I suggest starting a thread describing your game, and naming a start time. If you want to meet in Proto Alley and then move to a relatively uncluttered hallway, that might be the way to go. If it's not against con policy, you can also leave a few flyers on a table near the Dogwood entrance, so playtesters can plan to be in the event.

People love zombies, and the C&G:L approach is a nifty one, so I think you're going to get a lot of interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gill
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gil - that's really encouraging! I think I'll work up some 'posters' for the game that can sit outside Proto Alley with maybe a text message sign-up sheet if people want to be reminded when the game starts.

Woo! Zombies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nickoloff
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be bringing "Queen's Anne's Revenge" from a designer I represent.
It takes 3-5 players (preferably 4). I'd rather not play and sit out, but I could play.

I'm looking feedback on a couple of items in the game (which I can explain during the playtest session on what to concentrate). I have a complete set of the rules, but I will teach.

Medium-weight Euro style game. (Heavier than Puerto Rico or Agricola. Probably on the level as Le Havre). Economic plus stock market mechanics.

The game takes about 1 1/2h to play with 30 min of teaching. We can cut it down to 45 minutes of playtime.

I'll probably be there at noon, but I'll try and get there as early as possible.

I'm happy to play for a couple of hours afterwards until my dinner meeting around 6pm.

If you're interested in playtesting it, email me and I'll make sure to include you in the test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.