Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am heading to Alexandria, VA in the next week or so and was wondering if there are any good game shops I should check out or if there is a gaming group in the area.

I am staying at the Crystal City Mariott so anything around that area, or within short driving distance or maybe even via the Metro.

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the top menu, pick BAZAAR, GAMESTOREDB.COM

http://www.gamestoredb.com/?addr=alexandria%2C+va&c=plugin&p...

I am familiar with Game Parlor in Chantilly and Woodbridge, both within reach of a car.

Have been to Child's Play in DC. Not sure how close it might be by Metro.

There is also a thread that I can never remember that lists stores in states all across the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roberts
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Parlor in Chantilly is quite a haul from where you'll be and will definitely require a car. There is a small Compleat Strategist in Falls Church, Virginia, that is much closer but is still a hike from the nearest metro (East Falls Church stop). Maybe the concierge could stick you on a bus that went out that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
There is also a thread that I can never remember that lists stores in states all across the country.
OK, so now I'll finally remember to bookmark it:

FLGS of the USA - A List of Game Store Advice on BGG II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Parlor actually has two locations: one in Chantilly and one in Woodbridge. You'll need a car for either, but from Alexandria, the Woodbridge location will probably be easier to get to - straight down I95, across the street from Potomac Mills Mall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captkayoss wrote:
The Game Parlor actually has two locations: one in Chantilly and one in Woodbridge. You'll need a car for either, but from Alexandria, the Woodbridge location will probably be easier to get to - straight down I95, across the street from Potomac Mills Mall.

I agree. I live in Fairfax County about 10 miles from Crystal City. IMHO, Game Parlor is the best game store in northern Virginia, and the Woodbridge store is the easier of the two locations to get to from Crystal City. The Woodbridge store is very accessible from I-95 as you head south from Alexandria. Pick-up I-395 South from your hotel and just keep heading toward Richmond; I-395 South ends at I-95. If you're not driving during rush hour, you should reach the Woodbridge store in 15-25 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captkayoss wrote:

I was in the Chantilly store last weekend, and the stock was not impressive. The Woodbridge store -- last I checked some several weeks ago -- had a much more extensive stock of boardgames (and even miniatures, which used to be the forte of the Chantilly store). I like the Woodbridge store much better.

I agree it's easy to get to from Crystal City, as long as you avoid rush hour.

Take advantage of the Smithsonian and other museums while you're here, even if you've done it before. Less obvious: spend some time wandering the streets of Old Town Alexandria to unwind and escape the sterility of Crystal City. Several really nice restaurants. It's Georgetown without the crush of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roberts
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been to the Woodbridge location, but the Chantilly Game Parlor has a large area set off for gaming, and there's always been something going on the nights I've visited. Might be worth checking out if you wanted to try and squeeze in some gaming during your trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenjy wrote:
I haven't been to the Woodbridge location, but the Chantilly Game Parlor has a large area set off for gaming, and there's always been something going on the nights I've visited. Might be worth checking out if you wanted to try and squeeze in some gaming during your trip.

Woodbridge has significantly more playing space. It can accommodate 120 people, versus 86 at Chantilly. Both places have a full calendar of events: http://www.gameparlor.com/Calendar/calendar.html.

EDIT: More information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a sort of word of warning, DC has... traffic, especially on the main highways. What looks like a quick shot down the road can easily turn into a 2-3 hour trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Aaron
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking to check out the local selection, the Woodbridge Game Parlor location is quite good. The sibling store in Chantilly has a fair amount as well, though somewhat less.

In terms of gaming groups, the Chantilly Game Parlor has a variety of different ones.

http://www.gameparlor.com/Calendar/calendar.html

In particular, there are more Euro-oriented groups that meet Mondays from 5-9 and Tuesdays from 6-9.

Another excellent option for gaming is Nova Comics in Springfield. Their retail selection is small, but they have a Euro-oriented gaming night on Saturdays from 6 to past midnight.

http://www.novacomics.com/games.php#schedule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call, Josh - I forgot about NOVA Comics. Thanks for giving them a plug!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
stove wrote:
As a sort of word of warning, DC has... traffic, especially on the main highways. What looks like a quick shot down the road can easily turn into a 2-3 hour trip.

QFT. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls