Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mbmbmb
The nominees for the 2009 Golden Geek Awards have been chosen! The final voting is now open.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekawards/rank

Instructions:

* Select the appropriate category from the buttons at the top of the page.
* Rank the games by clicking on the box and selecting the rank.
* Duplicate rankings are OK if you think the games are equivalent.
* Change a rank to N/A if you have no opinion on a game.
* 1 is Highest - 15 is Lowest

Your votes are recorded immediately and may be changed up until the time voting closes (11:59 PM CST - October 31, 2009).

The final voting will resolved using the Schulze method - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

Vote Now: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekawards/rank

As usual, voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient) or voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar.

Gamers' Game
Automobile
Battlestar Galactica
Chicago Express
Cosmic Encounter
Dominion
Endeavor
Ghost Stories
Le Havre
Pandemic
Small World
Space Alert
Steam
Steel Driver
Stone Age
Tinners' Trail


Family
Dominion
Fast Flowing Forest Fellers
Finca
FITS
Formula D
Keltis
Pandemic
Powerboats
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Small World
Snow Tails
Sorry! Sliders
Stone Age
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Wasabi!


2-Player
2 de Mayo
Combat Commander: Pacific
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42
Dominion
Kamisado
Le Havre
Manoeuvre
Pandemic
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Shanghaien
Space Hulk (third edition)
Stone Age
Ubongo: Duel
Warriors of God
Waterloo


Wargame
2 de Mayo
Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition
Combat Commander: Pacific
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42
Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943
FAB: The Bulge
Manoeuvre
The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition)
Pursuit of Glory
Small World
Space Hulk (third edition)
Successors (third edition)
Unhappy King Charles!
Warriors of God
Waterloo


Party Game
The 3 Commandments
Are You the Traitor?
Battlestar Galactica
Dice Town
Dixit
FITS
Formula D
Gambit 7
Red November
Sorry! Sliders
Space Alert
Time's Up! Deluxe
Time's Up! Title Recall!
Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition
You Robot


Children's Game
Piece o' Cake
Aquaretto
Dixit
duck! duck! Go!
FITS
Pyramid
Go Nuts!
My First Carcassonne
The Magic Labyrinth
Pack & Stack
Sorry! Sliders
Sushizock im Gockelwok
Tier auf Tier: Das Duell
Tiki Topple
Zoowaboo


Card Game
Bonnie and Clyde
Byzanz
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game
Dominion
Dominion: Intrigue
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game
Masters Gallery
Monty Python Fluxx
Pacific Typhoon
Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium
Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm
Biblios
Ticket to Ride: The Card Game
Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation
Witch's Brew


Artwork & Presentation
Android
Battlestar Galactica
A Castle for All Seasons
Chicago Express
Cosmic Encounter
Dixit
Formula D
Ghost Stories
Planet Steam
Small World
Space Alert
Space Hulk (third edition)
Stone Age
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Wasabi!


Expansion
Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion
Battlestar Galactica: Pegasus Expansion
Descent: The Road to Legend
Dominion: Intrigue
Galaxy Trucker: The Big Expansion
Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm
Last Night on Earth: Growing Hunger
Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1
Pandemic: On the Brink
Power Grid: China/Korea
Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium
Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm
Railways of Europe
Railways of England and Wales
Saint Petersburg: New Society & Banquet Expansion


Print & Play
Agricola Express
Airborne In Your Pocket: Free Trial Version
Bindle Rails
Cheese Chasers
Chunky Fighters
Decktet
Dune Express
The Dungeon of D
Free Trader
Island Trader
Pocket Dungeon
Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age
Skirmish Wars: Advance Tactics
To The Last Man!
Zombie in my Pocket


Innovative
Android
Battlestar Galactica
Dixit
Dominion
FITS
Ghost Stories
Le Havre
Pandemic
Powerboats
Red November
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Snow Tails
Space Alert
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Timber Tom


14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, Zombie in my Pocket is not Print and Play.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Unfortunately, Zombie in my Pocket is not Print and Play.


I updated to point to the PNP version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Unfortunately, Zombie in my Pocket is not Print and Play.


I updated to point to the PNP version.


Even though the original PnP Zombie in my Pocket was published back in 2007?
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough decisions this year.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Surprised to see that Chaos in the Old World didn't make it under any category. Hope it will be eligible for next year's voting when it can garner some more nominations.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights is very deserving of a nomination for artwork and presentation... but innovation? It is a reprint right?

Thanks for running this Aldie!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb

    A shame more people didn't get the chance to see a copy of Timber Tom. It would be a shoe-in for Artwork and Presentation if it had been mass produced.

            Sag.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ramirez
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Awesome. This just means that BGG con is right around the corner.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrrrr!
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Havent got enough for an avatar. soblue Will some kind person send a vote for:

1. Le Havre
2. Pandemic
3. Stone age
4. Small worls
5. Times up Title recall!
6. Dixit
7. Scripts and scribes
8. Wasabi!
9. On the brink
10. Cheese chasers
11. Dominion
9 
 Thumb up
17.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, an awful list of children's game nominations. Do the people who vote on these things actually know what kids look like?!

Sigh.

There are a few good choices... but the majority of them are not playable at any meaningful level with someone younger than 10 years old. (Important tip: just because a child can get the rules right does not mean they are playing and/or enjoying a game.)
24 
 Thumb up
1.03
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should include a note, that people are really not required to nominate a game in every category and that if they are not interested in a category, they really shouldn't? I mean, Small World is a wargame now?
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanakor wrote:
Maybe we should include a note, that people are really not required to nominate a game in every category and that if they are not interested in a category, they really shouldn't? I mean, Small World is a wargame now?


Yep. I didn't vote in children's game or family game (how are they different, anyway?) because I haven't even seen one of them.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Have gg on me... now you just need another 19


rodentfield wrote:
Havent got enough for an avatar. soblue Will some kind person send a vote for:

1. Le Havre
2. Pandemic
3. Stone age
4. Small worls
5. Times up Title recall!
6. Dixit
7. Scripts and scribes
8. Wasabi!
9. On the brink
10. Cheese chasers
11. Dominion
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
Avatar
mb

rodentfield wrote:
Havent got enough for an avatar. soblue Will some kind person send a vote for: ...

But a supporter's badge is very cheap - and it will get you GG towards an avatar.meeple


16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
Once again, an awful list of children's game nominations. Do the people who vote on these things actually know what kids look like?!

Sigh.

There are a few good choices... but the majority of them are not playable at any meaningful level with someone younger than 10 years old. (Important tip: just because a child can get the rules right does not mean they are playing and/or enjoying a game.)

You could make a similar complaint about that list of party games. But here's the thing...without any guidelines someone can call a game that is playable by children between the ages of 10 and 15 a children's game too. You take "children" to mean accessible to younger kids, but there is no guideline saying that this is a requirement. I posted a comment about this situation for some of my geekbuddies but I feel it might be appropriate repeated here:

The problem is that the "jury" is a community of people who all have their own ways of defining what is and what is not a "family" game. I mean if I took the category literally, I'd be looking for games that I enjoy playing with my wife, my parents, and my gamer brother. That is my family at this point in time. However, for many others, family consists of younger kids. So is family an age thing, or what. It's a very gray area.

That is the biggest problem I have with the Golden Geek Awards. The categories lack guidelines and parameters, so no one knows what game to put in. Should Hanging Gardens be in the 2-player category? It's playable by up to 4, but many have argued that it's best with 2. Is Dominion:Intrigue really an expansion even though it's playable on its own? If so, then Aquaretto would be an expansion as well. Is a children's game one that kids can play, or one that they are intended to play? A 10-year-old might be able to play Pandemic, but was that the target audience when the game was designed?

Common sense should dictate the answer to many of these questions. However, this community isn't built on a foundation of common sense. We are a community of rules readers and rules lawyers. We need guidelines and structure to make an accurate decision. This is the community that actually has 5 or 6 threads with questions on the rules for Sorry Sliders! We don't do well when there's ambiguity in the rules, and yet we're expected to vote on the best games of the year with nothing more than the title of the awards. I'm surprised Agricola didn't win for Children's Game last year...
49 
 Thumb up
1.13
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blott wrote:
But here's the thing...


thumbsup
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Tanakor wrote:
Maybe we should include a note, that people are really not required to nominate a game in every category and that if they are not interested in a category, they really shouldn't? I mean, Small World is a wargame now?


Yep. I didn't vote in children's game or family game (how are they different, anyway?) because I haven't even seen one of them.


You equal family and children games?
Well children is usually up to 8 years, because they need special games. From that age they are mature enough to play family games with their parents.
I guess a lot of geeks dont have childen and dont know that 4-5-year olds cant play Dixit in any meaningful way...

11 
 Thumb up
1.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:


Common sense should dictate the answer to many of these questions. However, this community isn't built on a foundation of common sense. We are a community of rules readers and rules lawyers. We need guidelines and structure to make an accurate decision. This is the community that actually has 5 or 6 threads with questions on the rules for Sorry Sliders! We don't do well when there's ambiguity in the rules, and yet we're expected to vote on the best games of the year with nothing more than the title of the awards. I'm surprised Agricola didn't win for Children's Game last year...


Thats spot on.
And let me add: We are a community that changes ratings, so a certain game is /is not # one. We set up fake accounts so a certain game wins a poll.
Is it to anyones surprise that we nominate titles in every category we can/cannot get away with?

I mean Battleship galactica as a party game? Honestly?
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let the finding of something to bitch about begin!!!
28 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Let the finding of something to bitch about begin!!!


OK, so true.

Mr. Lawless has it correct. We love chaos don't we?

While I too am not happy with the 2-player, Children Category and Party Games, the Children's games seem a bit better then last year.

But, it is about a community, and there are diverse opinions on what should and shouldn't be included. Not only here, but many places here on the Geek.

Why do we always have to 'nit pick' the 'news worthy items?

Those are the threads that 'rise' to the top and then I find myself defending the geek when people point out how negative the Geek is.

So, let's let our voting do the speaking. If it turns out that the awards mean little to those that have children or what not, that will be what the image will be over time, but what the BGG community as a whole wants. Just like 'hard core' gamers don't like the SdJ.

So, what's to like!?

Hey check out Sorry! Sliders!!!!!!!!!!

It's a way fun game that appeals across the board. Heck, it comes out with my gamer only crowd too!



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Aldie. I'm always happy to be asked my relatively worthless opinion on trivial matters.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Yep. I didn't vote in children's game or family game (how are they different, anyway?) because I haven't even seen one of them.

Children's game: Playable and enjoyed by children who are 8 and under. Why this arbitrary cutoff? Because we are all children of someone, but just because this 48-year-old enjoys a game doesn't make it a good children's game anymore than the fact that a 14-year-old might like Dixit or Werewolf makes those kid games.

Family game: Playable by an entire family of parents and children--cross-generational. At least one of those generations must be under 15, otherwise you're back to adult games again.

The glory of my statements are that they are 100% as official as any definition of children's and family games for BGG award purposes.

I think that people should be allowed to vote in the "Gamer's Game"/Game of the Year award and the Innovation and Artwork categories. Other than that, people should be allowed to vote in only two other categories. That way, people who are invested in party or children's games can put their know-how to work in those categories. Wargamers and 2-player gamers can do likewise. Just think about how many people with no print-and-play experience altered the outcome of that category.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Yep. I didn't vote in children's game or family game (how are they different, anyway?) because I haven't even seen one of them.

Children's game: Playable and enjoyed by children who are 8 and under. Why this arbitrary cutoff? Because we are all children of someone, but just because this 48-year-old enjoys a game doesn't make it a good children's game anymore than the fact that a 14-year-old might like Dixit or Werewolf makes those kid games.

Family game: Playable by an entire family of parents and children--cross-generational. At least one of those generations must be under 15, otherwise you're back to adult games again.

The glory of my statements are that they are 100% as official as any definition of children's and family games for BGG award purposes.

I think that people should be allowed to vote in the "Gamer's Game"/Game of the Year award and the Innovation and Artwork categories. Other than that, people should be allowed to vote in only two other categories. That way, people who are invested in party or children's games can put their know-how to work in those categories. Wargamers and 2-player gamers can do likewise. Just think about how many people with no print-and-play experience altered the outcome of that category.

What you say makes a lot f sense randy. I just expect the categories to be useless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, and the math trade discussion thread had just gotten me over my non-avatar inferiority complex. Maybe I should shill for GG by pointing out that even if I acquire an avatar this month, I don't plan to vote in the Wargaming category when Small World is the only frickin' game on that list that I've played.

Ahem.
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.