Shane Marquette
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Clear Eyes! Full Hearts! Can't Lose!
mbmbmbmbmb
dumb newbie question ... i've been searching for the online wantlist generator. where is this located?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shizzane wrote:
dumb newbie question ... i've been searching for the online wantlist generator. where is this located?
I didn't see a link to it in the main trade or forum post, either, but maybe I missed it.

Anyway, here it is:
http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've since added a link to the OLWLG. Thanks for the reminder! (When I wrote this, I hadn't yet contacted JeffyJeff.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Marquette
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Clear Eyes! Full Hearts! Can't Lose!
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
shizzane wrote:
I didn't see a link to it in the main trade or forum post, either, but maybe I missed it.

Anyway, here it is:
http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/
Great, thanks for the info! After half an hour of searching for it and coming up empty handed, I figured it would just be easier to ask and admit my ignorance. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinkley
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want to bundle some games under one entry and use the "altname" feature, do I have to use "Outside the Scope of BGG"? And if so, will those entries count against me in regards to the number of non-game entries I have added to the list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

In your shoes, I'd pick one game to be the geeklist item (probably the "best" game or the base game if you've got expansions), then just add game sweeteners with [ gameid = 589 ] (no spaces), and the OLWLG will handle your sweeteners properly.

You should use altname for non-game items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, am I really totally different than everyone else?

I keep seeing item after item listed, where there are unrelated sweeteners (IE, not expansions for the main game). I find that I'm usually interested *only* in the item, and not the sweetener, or only the sweetener, and not the so called main item.

The entire point of a math trade is getting *rid* of items I don't want, not adding even more. So, because these items have games that I don't want in them, I shall pass over them, and not put them in as potential trades. Must have been at least 25 times that's happened already.

In order for your item to trade, other people have to put it on their want list. So making your item less attractive seems a really odd strategy to me.

I could understand this a bit more if it were a shipping trade, as obviously shipping 4 items in one package is more economical than shipping 1 item to 4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

In order for your item to trade, other people have to put it on their want list. So making your item less attractive seems a really odd strategy to me.
It's a trade-off. Maybe I see a bundle with one game I really want, and one I don't. Maybe you see the same thing, it's just a different game. Now we both highly value the bundle, enough to put it on a list. I may value that bundle at what I value the one game, plus a bit of extra for what I could probably trade or at least try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fail to see how getting a free game is bad. If you don't want the game, then give it away. Leave it on a table somewhere with "take me" or "FREE!" written on a post-it note. Throw it in the garbage. Whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Ok, am I really totally different than everyone else?

I keep seeing item after item listed, where there are unrelated sweeteners (IE, not expansions for the main game). I find that I'm usually interested *only* in the item, and not the sweetener, or only the sweetener, and not the so called main item.
As someone who just put up a couple of bundles, I did it because I didn't think the games on their own were worthwhile trades - simple small card games - and plenty of other people had done the same thing. This is my first math trade, so I'm kind of learning the ropes with regards to values & suitable 'trade bait' for a mathtrade. I know other people's bundles are tempting to me - not all of the games may be desirable, but it's additional value that appeals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
Now we both highly value the bundle, enough to put it on a list.
Except I don't highly value the bundle, I do the opposite. The bundle "poisons" the batch, and I don't put it on a list.

dcorban wrote:
I fail to see how getting a free game is bad.
Nothing is free, though. I'm sure the total value of the bundles will be taken into account for those putting together the trade lists. I doubt someone bundling five $5 games is putting a single $5 item on his trade list for it.

Is trading away a $30 game for a $10 game and a bunch of stuff you throw in the trash or give away a rational course of action for most folks? It's sure as hell not for me.

I guess there's a garage sale mentality operating here. Folks trade stuff, but get more stuff in the process that they'll be trading away in the future for more stuff they will trade away... It feeds the trading addiction.

Me, I just want to get rid of my extra stuff. I guess that really is different than most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you are saying. Your chance of getting the game you want in the bundle is decreased due to the overall value.

Bundling the games may not hurt the offerer's chances overall. The decreased number of wants may be balanced by people being willing to trade higher value entries for it. So the chance of the bundle trading is lower, but if it does trade, it will be more likely to trigger a chain of higher value stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure if you traded for something that has a sweetener, and you told them to just keep the sweetener, they wouldn't complain. If nothing else, luggage space is at a premium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nickoloff
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not getting the 'altname' tag.
Can someone see what I should be doing:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46943/item/1077023#ite...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only have one altname.

Also, the altname only shows in the OLWLG if you use either Miscellaneous Game Accessory or Outside the Scope of BGG as your main entry. In other words, you would have to change the main "Agricola" to one of the above.

With your particular entry, I would just leave it as Agricola, then add all the extra stuff as "sweeteners". Delete the various "misc game accessory" codes and just mention the extra stuff as normal text.

It is not recommended to make very long altnames, so even if you went the route of changing your main entry and adding one altname, you wouldn't be able to cram everything in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
You can only have one altname.
I didn't know that. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinkley
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rossum wrote:
Nope.

In your shoes, I'd pick one game to be the geeklist item (probably the "best" game or the base game if you've got expansions), then just add game sweeteners with [ gameid = 589 ] (no spaces), and the OLWLG will handle your sweeteners properly.

You should use altname for non-game items.
I have a game I want to add to one of the game lots I have already listed. The game I want to add is, IMO, "better" than the game I have listed under the game ID in the lot. Would it be all right to bump the game ID entry down to the sweeteners and change the game ID to the better game or will that screw up the order of the games in the geeklist similar to deleting a game entry in the geeklist (which I know to be strictly forbidden).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deitied wrote:
I have a game I want to add to one of the game lots I have already listed. The game I want to add is, IMO, "better" than the game I have listed under the game ID in the lot. Would it be all right to bump the game ID entry down to the sweeteners and change the game ID to the better game or will that screw up the order of the games in the geeklist similar to deleting a game entry in the geeklist (which I know to be strictly forbidden).
So instead of: Item X with sweetener Y, you list it as Item Y with Sweetener X?

As long as you don't delete the item, I don't have a problem with it. Please do tell me which item you're changing, so I can check the OLWLG and see if the change goofs anything up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks more like Item X with no sweetener will become Item Y with sweetener X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinkley
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven is a little closer to what I am suggesting. More like, item A with sweeteners B, C & D becomes item E with sweeteners A, B, C & D.

I am specifically referring to:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46943/item/1076678#ite...

I want to move Ticket to Ride the card game down to the sweetener section and change the item to Boomtown.

*edited to add the specifics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinkley
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I made the above stated change to item 611. The geeklist order doesn't appear to have changed. Let me know if the OLWLG had any trouble handling the change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a friendly reminder that there's only a week left until the trade list closes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a Math Trade Noob - when should I start listing my wants using the tool - before or after the close?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
I'm a Math Trade Noob - when should I start listing my wants using the tool - before or after the close?
Start now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |