Subject: Variant with a random card for 3-5 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Runebound PBF playerMicrobadge: Blues Brothers fanMicrobadge: Lost Valley fanMicrobadge: Blues Brothers fanMicrobadge: So it goes.
This doesn't change much, but still it's fun. Here's what we do: when everyone has picked a card to match the description given by the storyteller (or 2 cards with 3 players), we add one extra random card from the deck - so we have 6 cards to chose from with 3 or 5 players and 5 cards with 4 players. Then the cards are shuffled and the storyteller tries to guess the random card while everyone else tries to guess his card. If he guesses correctly, he gets one point.

Of course, if he chooses another player's card, that player doesn't get an extra point for that, and if someone other than the storyteller chooses the random card, no one gets the point for that.

We find this variant amusing 'cause sometimes that random card matches the story better than any of the other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakaku, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Go playerMicrobadge: English TeacherMicrobadge: Akira Kurosawa fanMicrobadge: Western flick fanMicrobadge: Blues fan
I played this with some students last night. We had five players, so using this variant would have come in handy. Unfortunately, I just saw this now as I was recording our played game. With fewer than 6 players, there really doesn't seem to be enough cards to choose from, plus with this, the storyteller also gets to be more involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GameChat League - Stingray DivisionMicrobadge: Venture Bros. fanMicrobadge: I'm femaleMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: "It's a suicide mission!"
I tried this the other day without the storyteller guessing the random card aspect, and it was cool. I don't think I'd play with four or less without using a random card. One time, everyone guessed that the random card was the storyteller's card and hilarity ensued. Thanks for the very fun variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Belmer
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Chaos in the Old World fanMicrobadge: Geekway to the West attendeeMicrobadge: The Sandman fan
Re: Variant with a random card for 3-5 players with a TWIST! *
So funny you mention this, we just came up with this variant today ourselves, and I was coming to post a session report and variant, but looks like it's already been discovered!

We discovered it after playing with 4, and feeling that the game 'wasn't quite right' without at least 5 cards.

So here's our rules:

With 4 or 5 players, as soon as the storyteller tells his story, he places his card face down, and grabs (and looks at) the card from the top of the deck and places it face down as well.

Now our TWIST is that if anyone PICKS the Bum card (what we call it), that person gets -1 point on the scoring track.

This variant adds a lot of fun spice to the game, and keeps things lively and fresh. Great game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Simoes
Portugal
Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Oriente fan
These random card variants sound interesting, but leave some room for cheating since the last player revealing their cards can claim the random one if it accounts for more points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Runebound PBF playerMicrobadge: Blues Brothers fanMicrobadge: Lost Valley fanMicrobadge: Blues Brothers fanMicrobadge: So it goes.
Yes, you are right! I didn't think of this possibility. And neither did anyone we've been playing so far.. Or did they?! Well, I guess you cannot trust anyone these days, especially your gaming partners - cheaters are everywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Simoes
Portugal
Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Oriente fan
magnitt wrote:
Or did they?!

This cheating can be prevented by asking players to set aside extra voting tokens, corresponding to the images they played (storyteller included).
Once all players have voted (but before votes are revealed) these extra tokens could then be placed on the corresponding images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: GeekChatterMicrobadge: Spirit Island fan - Heart of the WildfireMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Spirit Island fan - Sharp Fangs Behind the LeavesMicrobadge: Rainbow
Not only does this variant sound fun, but it might be very helpful for some players who have reported frustration with players who have decided that "don't give a clue and play a random card" is an optimal strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Atlanta Braves fanMicrobadge: Atlanta Falcons fan
We've been playing this variant since the beginning, as our typical Dixit group has been just four. The difference from five cards to four is huge, and the deck makes a pretty good play at least half the time, which is certainly enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls