California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BATT’L KHA’OS

2 Players
30 Minutes
By Eric Hanuise and Frederic Moyersoen

Background:

My reviews will not focus on the rules of the game. There are better reviewers on that format than I could ever contribute. The purpose behind my reviews are to highlight one, and only one, overriding aspect of any game: fun. That’s it. As a big kid at heart, I play games in order to have a good time. In the end, all I really care about is if I’m going to want to play the thing again, and will anyone else. Hence, I’ve chosen five areas to highlight that are all aspects of the game’s funness. Examined from this paradigm, these are all aspects that I believe should be enjoyed during the whole experience of playing board games.

All right already, enough philosophizing, on with the review…

1. Out of the Box:

Everything needs to be punched out. It’s all standard, sturdy cardboard. I really appreciated the colors that the designers chose. Purple for the orcs, oranges for the knights, and green for the background of the tiles. Those are three very distinct colors that work well against one another; those are colors that “pop.” Another thing I really appreciate are the distinctions between the different components. Everything is told through various shapes & sizes while keeping the corresponding color scheme. Even the backs of the power tokens show what each one does. This is a very efficient and elegant design, in my opinion. I also really appreciate the two player aids that explain the various power tokens’ effects, just in case you didn’t notice the back of the tokens themselves. This is a nice added touch to the components; it suggests the designers were thinking as gamers would.

- Nicely designed
- Well executed

Fun-o-meter: 5/5

2. Rules:

The rules are very brief, but then again, the game is not terribly complicated. They are laid out very logically and contain many, many color illustrations.

Teaching the game is also very simple. First, I explain the goal of the game through the tower tiles. Then I explain placement of tiles and how resolving foursquare corners around the tower tiles, works. Lastly, to summarize, I explain how turn order works – place a tile, check majorities, draw a tile. Once new players understand this, then I add on when and how power tokens are used.

I can teach the game in about five minutes.

- Easy to learn & teach

3. Ease of Play:

I know I stated previously that these reviews were not going to expound upon the rules. But because there isn’t a written summery of play yet that I could find here on BBG, I thought I’d contribute a short one to give people a taste of the game’s flavor…

One player plays as orcs, the other as knights. First, place a tower tile (one of eight) in the center. Each tower tile tells you how many points it’s worth if secured. Every non-tower tile has a certain number (0-4) of orcs or knights depicted in some or all of the corners of the tile.

On a player’s turn, place a tile (either a tower tile or non-) alongside any other tile (barring certain restrictions in more advance rules). Tower tiles cannot be placed next to each other.

When four tiles make a foursquare, resolve who has the majority of presence of orcs or knights by placing an even smaller tile (depicting respective banners), called a control token, in the center of all four bigger tiles.

On a larger scale, when there are four smaller tiles surrounding a tower tile, resolve who has the majority of control tokens by scoring the respective points on the tower tile and placing a control token on it, removing the outer control tokens.

Power tokens are played immediately after, on the tiles just played and add spice to the game, potentially affecting majority outcomes.

First player to 7 points wins.

There are certain subtleties regarding ties when resolving majorities, but that’s pretty much the whole game in a short paragraph.

- If I can explain it in under ten sentences…

4. Weight/Length Ratio:

I think the depth of this game is in the same ballpark as Carcassonne; the power tokens kind of acting as the meeples. That’s really all there is. If you like Carcassonne, or enjoy tile-laying games in general (as I do), then you will most likely enjoy this game. Just know that it is for 2 players exactly. This game is not entirely luck driven, as players constantly keep a hand of three tiles to choose from, and when they draw a tile, they can take the top tile from the facedown deck, or they can take one of three face-up tiles beside the facedown pile. So there are many choices when drawing, mitigating the luck factor.

- It’s a nice filler
- Not a brain burner, but nevertheless engaging

Fun-o-meter: 4/5

5. The “F” Factor:

Despite certain similarities or comparisons to other well-known tile-laying games, Batt’l Kha’os has a different enough feel that it warrants a spot all its own on your shelf. The execution of the mechanic to the theme is an interesting one – Everything is shown (the pictures on the tiles) from an aerial view. And rather than having the tile matching be about sides, the game is all about what’s happening in the corners of the tiles. This game also works well as a gateway game when you have just one other person.

- A delightfully fun game

Overall: 4.7/5

Recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Now, I feel elated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review.

Can't wait for my order to arrive so I can get this to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettore Gislon
Italy
Milan
Lombardia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:

5. The “F” Factor:

That is what i call a misleading statement.
OMG Fbomb XD

Nice review btw :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, "F" stands for fun. But the phrase also demonstrates this author's juvenile sense of humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Everything is shown (the pictures on the tiles) from an aerial view.

Last time I introduced this game, my friend point out that all the characters in this game were on drugs. Since in each tile they are running away from each other, instead of 'at each other'. I guess I've never thought of it like that.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you've pierced one of the most guarded secrets about the game's genesis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait - now you've got *me* curious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.