Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
657 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Secret Santa 2009 has begun. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Christmas2009 [+] secret-santa [+] SS09 [+] christmas [+] Holidays [+] Santy09 [+] [View All]
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
For those coming in now - the program has started.

You can find the info here.

If we could move the discussion about SS to that thread, it would be all in one place - easier for me to follow...

Hooray! It's that time of year again - the fifth annual BGG Secret Santa! Christmas is still a while away, but if we want this to run smoothly, we've got to get it started now.

If you want to sign up for the BGG Secret Santa, we invite everyone to get involved. But before you do, please read the following guidelines to make sure that we are all on the same page.

1.) We invite every BGG member to join; you have until November 16th to sign up. At that point, each person involved will have a random name and address sent to them. Players should check the BGG profile of this person and choose a game (or more) off of that person's wishlist and send it to them, so that it arrives by Christmas.

2.) You must update your wishlist (NOT want list) of games. Please have at least twenty currently available games on your list, and try to have most of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you only have high priced, hard-to-find games on your list, don't be surprised when you don't get them. Every year I have people upset that they didn't get what they wanted, and then I see that they have a small , or difficult-to-fulfill wishlist. The longer you make it, the better off you are.

3.) Secret Santa is all about the giving, not the getting, so be prepared that the person who is sending you a gift may be a jerk and not do so. Most people last year did a good job, but idiots do abound - and I urge you NOT to join the Secret Santa unless you plan to send a gift; this isn't "get a free game for nothing" club. Those who don't send gifts, and then won't respond to follow-up emails from us may have their accounts suspended, as we don't want the name of BGG besmirched by greedy folk. You certainly won't be involved in a future Secret Santa that I run.

4.) You should buy at least one game for the person who you are giving a gift to, and not a dinky game like a card game - use Ticket to Ride as a guideline. However, there is no problem with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games! And what makes it really cool is if you can personalize the gift somehow. Examples and ideas can be found on this geeklist from two years ago. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17908. Some really nice stuff has been given out.

5.) This is an international Secret Santa. Everyone from all countries is welcome to join. Realize that you very well may be given a target from a foreign country, so be prepared to factor shipping into your gift. I love the fact that BGG is pulling the whole international community together - and this is a really neat indication of that fact. However, you DO have the option to pick which countries you are willing to ship to. I realize that some may want to do this, but I HIGHLY encourage you not to. Shipping to another country is very rewarding, and while it may add extra costs, the other person will greatly appreciate it. If you are from a country that has only a few participants (i.e. SOUTH KOREA), then I would strongly suggest you increase your country options, or you may end up with the only other person who entered from your country. But no matter what, let's keep the international flavor of this Secret Santa alive!

6.) For those who are looking for a store to use, or have a store that should be added to the list, go to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/451808 for a list of stores in different countries.

7.) Look, I know that times are tough, and that some people simply can't afford to give out games, or pay for shipping, even in their own country. But no one will think any less of you if you don't get involved, and it's quite possible that other Secret Santas will be run (with smaller gifts, etc.) Figure that there is a distinct possibility that you'll have to fork out $60 - to buy and ship a medium sized game. I know that not everyone can do this, so don't worry about it. If you really want to give, you can find people in your neighborhood, local YMCA, church, or relatives to give a smaller game to. There are plenty of ways to give; this is merely one of them. I do my best to make it fair and balanced, but it doesn't always happen. However, over 1300 people last year participated, and most had wonderful results.

Click the link below and join ONLY if you agree with the above points.

www.boardgamegeek.com/secretsanta

Some related geeklists

What's this all about? See what happened last year:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/36187

Simon gives us some stats on the event:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/36996

A recap, a year later
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46707

Merry Christmas,
Tom Vasel
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Bloody Romans!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your work on this! I participated last year and had a really great experience. This is definitely one of those things that adds to the community.

I also noticed that the list of target countries was updated this year to be more exhaustive which will please my wife.

Abe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I exclude Wales?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. 3rd year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
Do you seriously believe that BGG ratings matter that much?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! I'm 100% in! I find Secret Santa one of the best things in BGG. Go Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Secret Santa: Whatever you do, for the love of God don't forget to flgxblt! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running it again Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Tom!

One of the best things about this amazing community is your Secret Santa, and the generosity it has inspired. So glad you're back again!

edited to add: wishlist is at 65 games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Gan
Philippines
Quezon City
NCR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running Secret Santa again this year Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First time Secret Santa for me. Thanks for running it Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
Every year I have people upset that they didn't get what they wanted...

Wow.
Some people are terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Glad to see it up and running. Thanks for all the hard work Tom!

Tight year but we are at least going to particpate under my account this year. If the house sells, Christie will be joining up. Good thing the deadline is the day before her due date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the time you put into this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! I've been hoping this would happen since July. I always think about Xmas in July.

Now to make sure my wishlist has in print games! Nothing sucks more than getting a geek with no in print games on their wishlist -- or just one game...

Thanks, Tom!meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first secret santa.....yup

First South American...double yup...Hope the shipping cost dont make hard for my SS send me a good gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven colby
United States
mount laurel
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Third time in it...And whoever I get will get a lovely surprise!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, I'm in! Thank you again, Tom and BGG. The only thing is, I hate having to wait until November 16th (5 weeks from yesterday) to find out who I get to gift!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Copple
United States
Northfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa time already? Where did the year go?

Im in.

Do lumps of coal count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in - and I can't believe it's already time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to ship anywhere for the third year . . .

Thanks for running this, Tom and your elves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCheese wrote:
Third time in it...And whoever I get will get a lovely surprise!!!

Weaving hut deposits are sooooo 2004.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year was my first year and I sent someone Arkham Horror base set and received Race for the Galaxy. I had alot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Tom!

I love that we are an international site and this one of the things that can bring us together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo!

I love me some Secret Santa!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.