Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Marvel Heroes» Forums » General

Subject: Longest Combat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, let's put blame where it belongs and for this thread, that blame goes to:

Nurse Foxfire
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Just had to post a Rules question, which made me read the thread, re-check the rules and, well, you know the old tale about a slippery slope... blush

So Marvel Heroes saw floor time today. Inferno, 2-player, 50-minutes, slightly slower than previous games a few months back, but still pretty normal time.

And the very first round, Wolverine with Storm in support tackles a headline, the Trouble roll is high (only 4 dice rolled as well). Even with Storm upping the cost to 2 for Lead and Backups, Abomination still has 2 Backups. And instantly I'm reminded of why I love MH. The combat goes back and forth, Healing Factor and Regeneration getting use. And the turns go by. Finally, in the fifth round of combat, Wolverine takes out the Abomination (who didn't even have boost on his side)! I won't go on record and say this was the longest combat (in combat rounds) I've ever seen, but I'm fairly certain it's in the top-3 at least.

Ironically, later in the game, Thor took down a boosted Ultron with Juggernaut as Backup (so 4 KOs needed) in 3 combat rounds !

You gotta a long combat you recall?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend, we tried a 2 players game : Marvel Knights vs Avengers (Marvel Knights won but it hung by a thread...)

Though a remarkable long fight between Spiderman + Elektra and Kingpin for Master Plan Prologue.
I had for allies Iron Fist (x3) and Colossus (x2) (i.e. 5 additionnal KOs), so I was pretty sure to win the fight.cool
I started with Red, Kingpin with Orange. I managed to get him 1KO on attack phase, but unfortunately, it was the only KO I could give him...! cry
I got an incredible bad luck on all my following rolls , and even if I tried to get the Outwit win with Yellow, Kingpin always rolled better than me, even with less dice (let alone his 2 Henchmen)...
I was so stubborn to make it through because no fight can end until all superheroes are defeated and I wanted to move Spidey somewhere else to gain additionnal VPs...
Turns out that I used all my allies (5KOs lost !) and ended up with both Spidey and Elektra wounded. So much for a Masterplan prologue !!shake

I really should avoid the fight and allow the prologue but with 5KOs and 2 active heroes, I was so sure to win that I challenged him, well too bad...Damn !

Maybe my combat strategy was not good I dont know...Always tried to go with Spidey max on Attack (Red), or Outwit (Yellow) to give Kingpin his 2nd KO...
What would you guys do ?
I never used Elektra because she was too weak in combat (but helped for reducing trouble on the troubleshooting)

Fortunately for me, I then managed to go through with my 3 Masterplans (with personal created Loki) just in time, preventing the Avengers to win...hehehehe

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you didn't have any hero in Support, thus you had no dice-boosting on your heroes? Since Kingpin's combat ability buffs his defense rolls, going Red (max attack) isn't IMO the best option (although with all those extra KOs, maybe not a bad bet), in Mastermind Challenge, I prefer to go Yellow with Spidey (assuming on combat stat Allies) and hope to get those Outwit hits. Also, if you had Elektra in Support instead of Ready, she could've boosted +1 hit in attack rolls, would've helped if you wanted to go Red.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Sounds like you didn't have any hero in Support, thus you had no dice-boosting on your heroes? Since Kingpin's combat ability buffs his defense rolls, going Red (max attack) isn't IMO the best option (although with all those extra KOs, maybe not a bad bet), in Mastermind Challenge, I prefer to go Yellow with Spidey (assuming on combat stat Allies) and hope to get those Outwit hits. Also, if you had Elektra in Support instead of Ready, she could've boosted +1 hit in attack rolls, would've helped if you wanted to go Red.
I did have Strange supporting, but as far as I remember only very few boost rolls from the entire fight. And when I said bad luck, I mean like rolling 4 dice and have only 1-2 hits most of the time, and when I rolled a decent number, Kingpin rolled just 1 more, we thought the dice were cheated as Kingpin won every rolls lol

I agree for Elektra but I had to have her Ready for her Mystic number. Maybe if I had more plot points, I would have chosen Strange and Spidey with Elektra supporting.

Basically, tell me if Im wrong but Spidey should have a shot at Kingpin with dice boosting correct (and no KO from previous fight) ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
La_Gofr wrote:
I agree for Elektra but I had to have her Ready for her Mystic number. Maybe if I had more plot points, I would have chosen Strange and Spidey with Elektra supporting.

Really, Strange Ready + Elektra in Support can handle any and all Mystery Headlines, Spider-Man is at that point moot. Strange is better in combat as well I'd say. Only reason to bring in Spidey is if you need his skill (Rescue or Science IIRC) to cancel out potential Threat roll hit/boost rerolls, even then, having him in Support instead of Elektra, Strange can handle himself (esp. with those extra KOs, he can just go Yellow and Outwit). Not to mention Kingpin can do only a little to up Threat in Mystery Headlines, so Strange's 3-point reduction can keep him from even going for a Master Plan, as it would be unlikely Strange takes a KO in the fight for the Headline, at full Health, Strange handles Kingpin too.

Even the effort to move both Ready Heroes to one Headline and the Troubleshoot and move both back to Recovery (unless it's the last round of the game), you're not getting anything beyond those five actions done. Going in with only Strange (+free Support move), you'll have two actions left over for card play, Story Action, etc.

Quote:
Basically, tell me if Im wrong but Spidey should have a shot at Kingpin with dice boosting correct (and no KO from previous fight) ?

With the Allies you had, sure. But say it's the first round of the game, no Allies, Knights have put Spidey Ready, Strange and maybe Elektra in Support (Strange to use his Support ability, Elektra to give dice-boosting in combat) and get into a Mastermind Challenge. More often than not, I think it comes down to who rolls better in Outwit. Since Spider-Man can reduce the number of hits opponent gets in attack, while Kingpin can buff his defense result, effectively the two null out each others' attacks, leaving only Outwit where neither has an advantage (Outwit 4 in Yellow for both), so it's down to the dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Really, Strange Ready + Elektra in Support can handle any and all Mystery Headlines, Spider-Man is at that point moot. Strange is better in combat as well I'd say. Only reason to bring in Spidey is if you need his skill (Rescue or Science IIRC) to cancel out potential Threat roll hit/boost rerolls, even then, having him in Support instead of Elektra, Strange can handle himself (esp. with those extra KOs, he can just go Yellow and Outwit). Not to mention Kingpin can do only a little to up Threat in Mystery Headlines, so Strange's 3-point reduction can keep him from even going for a Master Plan, as it would be unlikely Strange takes a KO in the fight for the Headline, at full Health, Strange handles Kingpin too.
Yes, I do hear you on this. But sometimes I prefer playing with my favourite heroes instead of the "best fitted" ones. And I really like Spidey
Moreover I had a Danger Headline (Threat Level 4 IIRC) I planned to get just after this Mystery.

Quote:
Even the effort to move both Ready Heroes to one Headline and the Troubleshoot and move both back to Recovery (unless it's the last round of the game), you're not getting anything beyond those five actions done. Going in with only Strange (+free Support move), you'll have two actions left over for card play, Story Action, etc.
Correct. Though I did not have any Resource Cards I intended to play and no Story cards for Knights on the board at this moment (only 1 story card came up for Knights on the whole game...), so I figured getting 2 heroes ready to try 2 headlines could be nice to attempt... But maybe they were not the best heroes to play I agree

Quote:
With the Allies you had, sure. But say it's the first round of the game, no Allies, Knights have put Spidey Ready, Strange and maybe Elektra in Support (Strange to use his Support ability, Elektra to give dice-boosting in combat) and get into a Mastermind Challenge. More often than not, I think it comes down to who rolls better in Outwit. Since Spider-Man can reduce the number of hits opponent gets in attack, while Kingpin can buff his defense result, effectively the two null out each others' attacks, leaving only Outwit where neither has an advantage (Outwit 4 in Yellow for both), so it's down to the dice.
Yeah, I just checked Kingpin/Spidey powers, they are pretty even, and it mostly ends up in which will be the luckiest...With Strange I could have kicked his a** more easily (with additionnal KOs and Yellow as you said).

Anyway, it was a heck of a long combat !

Thanks for sharing your thoughts mate

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls