Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the SE United States regional manager for the International Dungeon Twister League and I'm going to be organizing a Dungeon Twister tournament in the Triangle area.

It's set up for Jan. 16 at scifigenre (my FLGS) in Durham. I found out that we will have goodies for prizes.

My goal is eventually to have 3-4 tournaments a year in NC or southern VA at different locations -- Triangle, Triad, Charlotte, Richmond, etc...

Please post here if you are interested in participating.

Thanks and happy twisting,

Geoff

Edit: confirmed date and location

I'll also keep the list of possible participants up here. We'll have to deal with registration details and information once we have enough people to play.

gheintze
Mike Mayer
FerrumEtBombyx
rtwombly (and friend)
faust3672 (and possibly a friend)
Nordiska
netizen
auroravampire
Captain Cheetah
Seamus1
Darian
msfleck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Miuccio
United States
Norristown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Wow, that's really REALLY tempting Geoff. It's a 9 hour drive for me (I live in Philly) and the weather might not be great, so the best I can give right now is a possibly. It's great to see someone trying to run tournaments here in the US though.

On those lines, is there a NE represenative? I'd consider the role if there isn't, but I think that someone a little more Northeast in a major metropolitan (Not that Philly is bad, but it's no NYC) area should take this. Eric, any insight to this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As of now, there is no NE representative. There are a lot of people in PA, NJ, NY -- and especially the MD,DC, VA area -- that own the game. I found 16 people in NC who own the game and sent them geekmail to see if they are interested.

BTW, I'm originally from Allentown, PA -- are you enjoying the Phillies playoff run?

Also, having made the drive a multitude of times -- it should only be 7 hours from Philly.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Miuccio
United States
Norristown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Very cool, maybe we could have NE and SE contingents with a Mid-Atlantic crossover from time to time if the majority of players are in those states.

I hope Cole gets it done tonight, the games have been amazing so far. I've become a huge Cliff lee fan since his arrival here.

7 hours is still far, but I might have a friend who also plays DT to make the trip a bit more bearable. I'd really like to come, I'm just not sure if the weather will cooperate. I see you like Battlelore and Memoir 44 as well, will there be other games there before or after the tournament?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the thread where I'll keep the updated information about the tournament.

I was hoping to get between 8-16 players for the tournament, which would be 3-4 rounds of games. In that case, we should be able to complete the tournament in an afternoon.

I have contacted scifigenre (my FLGS) in Durham to see if they would host the tournament. My backup plan is All Fun'n Games in Apex.

I'll be getting some Version 1 US goodies as prizes.

We will also have to decide the format and game sets that will be used.
This will probably depend on the experience level of the players who register and the availability of the necessary expansion or base set. Maybe we should post below what you would like to see and the sets your can bring along to make sure we have enough.

The rules that we used are pretty much the same as the tournament rules posted on www.dungeontwister.com in the download section. You can also learn more about the IDTL at www.dungeontwister.org.

I have all the expansions (and should have DT2 within a week), but I'm only experienced with the base set. I'll play any format as long as the majority of players will enjoy themselves.

Currently, we have as interested and possible players -- myself, one of my coworkers, a BGG member in Cary, a BGG member in Winston-Salem, and a BGG player in Philadelphia(!!!).

Geoff

Edit: added the bit about the tournament rules on dungeontwister.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M'44 and BattleLore!! Awesome. I'm definitely willing to make it a full day (or weekend). I'll play either of those afterwards -- maybe even a game of Titan...

Especially if there are a lot of players who will travel, then we'll have to have some other games to play as well.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Aimone
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Geoff, as we discussed via Geekmail, I'd probably be interested for any Richmond tournaments, but the Durham area would be a bit too far coming from Arlington/DC.

Also, that's the divisional round of the NFL playoffs, so I definitely wouldn't be able to make it down. I'm good for future ones though.

Thanks for organizing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,

I'm hopeful to run a tournament in Richmond later in the year, but I wanted my first attempt at organizing one to be closer to home. As I was looking through the list of DT owners, I found a ton of players in the greater DC area. There should definitely be interest in a tournament up there.

My hope is that mentioned above -- that eventually we will have many little tournaments locally that feed up to a Mid-Atlantic championship or something like that.

But you have to start somewhere...

Unfortunately, due to the time of year -- it's too short to plan a tourney before Thanksgiving and December is just too crazy. So January is the next best option. Besides the way the Eagles looked on Sunday, they won't be playing in January anyway.

Thanks for your interest.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Location confirmed!

The tournament will take place at scifigenre -- my FLGS here in Durham.

Their website is www.scifigenre.com if you want to check it out.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren P
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds interesting to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Twombly
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looked on Google Maps and I'm about an hour West. I'm thinking of entering a friend of mine who is much, much better than I, though I'll do a little practicing. So, provisionally, expect two of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo hoo! We're up to eight players.

I'll send out some more geekmails to local DT owners to see if I can find some more.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtwombly wrote:
I'm thinking of entering a friend of mine who is much, much better than I, though I'll do a little practicing. So, provisionally, expect two of us.

Now everyone needs to understand I haven't even played the game yet. I hope to find someone to play against before the tournament.

There is another Game shop with tables in Raleigh (The Game Connection) if you have trouble getting the other two places you mentioned to host you could check with Ron there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifigenre in Durham has already agreed to host the tournament, so we're all set there.

If you want to meet to play a few times -- my games group meets in Durham on Sunday, Nov. 15 and Dec. 13 from 4-7. Also, I'd be willing to meet you at a FLGS on a weeknight as well (although my weeknight schedule can be crazy).

I could use some more practice as well...

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gheintze wrote:

If you want to meet to play a few times -- my games group meets in Durham on Sunday, Nov. 15 and Dec. 13 from 4-7.

I could use some more practice as well...

Geoff

Where does your group meet? I went to a gaming group that met at a church on Sunday afternoons once about a year ago.. was that you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! That was us -- I thought that your handle sounded familiar...

We played Memoir'44 that time if I remember correctly.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We played Kingsburg first with a couple other people... then your son and I played a quick game of Memoir 44.. He soundly beat me too! LOL

I'll try to be there on the 15th so I can learn out to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a copy of the geekmail I sent to all interested participants regarding the format and prizes for the tournament.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share an update with everyone on more details for the Dungeon Twister Tournament.

I've confirmed the date and location. It will be on Jan. 16 at scifigenre in Durham (www.scifigenre.com). Registration will start at noon and we will hopefully start the first round at 12:30.

The format will be 3 or 4 rounds depending on the number of participants. If we have less than 8 it will be 3 round, 8-16 players will necessitate 4 rounds. Each round will be 1 hour, including setup and playing the game.

The first round will be stand alone with either the base game from 1st edition or DTrison. After that, they can be stand alone or equal forces full frontal, with the participants in each game agreeing on which expansions to be used. That way, noone will be forced to play with an expansion they are not familiar with. I think that we have a mix of experienced and novice players, so hopefully that is agreeable to everyone. I'm open to other suggestions if someone has a better idea about the format.

I think the first two rounds will be played to 5 VP, but in later rounds we'll increase to 6 VP.

As far as timing the rounds, I hope that this will only need to be an issue if there is any analysis paralysis. Each player is supposed to only use 2 minutes/turn and place the tokens and play combat cards in a few seconds. We just need to keep the games moving.

If you have a kitchen timer that you can bring along to use at the event, that would be great.

A copy of the tournament rules from the IDTL can be found here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ATYeArSHcQRmZG12cmp2eF80N3....

As far as prizes: I've received a pack of the US tournament goodies which consists of: Ogre, Beggar, Disciple, Arch-Mage Treasure Rooms, Neutral Clerics, Neutral Mekanorks, base set gender reversed stand-ups, and base set Arabian stand-ups. We'll allocate the goodies starting with the winner. Each player will get to choose one of the eight goodies (in finishing order) until they run out. It may be that some people won't want them (I don't need them), but we'll find out that day.

As far as registering in advance -- It will save time if everyone can set up an account with the IDTL at www.dungeontwister.org. This does not cost any money -- it's just a way for you to get a IDTL player number.

Also, please send me your email addresses. I think it will be easier to communicate by email than geekmail. Thanks. My email address is heintzelman@alumni.duke.edu.

Please be patient, as this is the first tournament I've organized. I'm sure that the next ones will go much more smoothly. We'll also discuss a location for the next tournament if people are interested in having another one.

Thanks again for expressing an interest in the tournament. I think it's going to be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to holding them on a regular basis.

I also hope that you are all enjoying DTrison. I'm enjoying it as well, but the solo option is really challenging...

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not the tournament is just about two weeks away.

It would be helpful to know how many to expect, so please let me know if you can or cannot make it on January 16th, and if you're bringing any friends along to participate.

NC Triangle Dungeon Twister Tourney

Place: scifigenre in Durham (www.scifigenre.com). Please let me know if you need directions or suggestions for places to eat or stay.

Time: Registration starts at 12:00 with the first round (hopefully) beginning at 12:30

Format: 3-4 rounds. The first two rounds will be to 5 VP, subsequent rounds to 6 VP. First round with either the base game or DT: Prison. 2nd and later rounds can be played with expansions by mutual consent of the participants (stand alone or full frontal equal forces).

It will save time if everyone can set up an account with the IDTL at www.dungeontwister.org. This does not cost any money -- it's just a way for you to get a IDTL player number.

If you can send me your email address, I would appreciate it. Mine is heintzelman@alumni.duke.edu. I will also be willing to distribute my cell number by email, but I won't post it here.

Also, I'd also like to start thinking about where to have the next tournament in the SE. If the Triangle is a central location for everyone, we can continue to hold them here, but I would prefer to have them elsewhere in the region -- Charlotte, Greensboro, Richmond, Winston-Salem, etc...

Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis F.
France
Orléans
Centre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gheintze wrote:

I'll also keep the list of possible participants up here. We'll have to deal with registration details and information once we have enough people to play.

gheintze
Mike Mayer
FerrumEtBombyx
rtwombly (and friend)
faust3672 (and possibly a friend)
Nordiska
netizen
auroravampire
Captain Cheetah
Seamus1
Darian
msfleck

A least twelve !!! whistle Very good...

I hope that you will make photos to see your tournament !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirmed participants so far:

Nordiska (and friend)
gheintze (and 2 from my games group)
rtwombly (and 1-2 friends)
qswanger
Blewsky

hopefully:
msfleck
hycanth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated participant list on Jan 6th. Looking good so far.

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis F.
France
Orléans
Centre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

D Day - 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilGoude wrote:

D Day - 5

Phil,

You seem to be almost as excited about the tournament as I am.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournament only one day away!
Only one more day to the 1st Dungeon Twister Tournament in North America since the release of DTrison!

I just wanted to touch base with some information.

If you can, please register on www.dungeontwister.org so that you get a league number before the tourney. It will save me some time entering the results after the tournament.

Also, please bring a kitchen timer or stopwatch along if you can. I hope we don't have to be really strict with the timing the turns, but I don't know if this will be a problem since it's my first tournament.

It is not unlikely that we will have an odd number of players. If this is the case, then one player will need to take a bye during each round. I'll have my copy of Prison, so they could play solo while waiting.

The structure will be: three rounds if we have 8 players or less, four rounds if we have more than 8. First round is to be played with either the base game or Prison. After then expansions may be used if both players agree. The first two rounds will be played to 5 VP -- 1 hour allowed (15 min setup, and 45 for the game). The last round(s) will be played to 6 VP and the games will last 1 hr.

I can explain the rest on Saturday. We'll be playing Swiss rounds so there is no early elimination.

The prizes have arrived in Durham. Each player starting from 1st place gets their choice of bonus Dungeon Twister pieces until we run out.

Please bring along the game and any expansions you own, in case we need them.

See you then and safe traveling for those of you driving a fair way to Durham!

Let me know if you have any questions about anything...

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.